Plaza-Midwood is a district in Charlotte. It is located on the city's east side, about a mile from Uptown, and is developing as a hip urban neighborhood. The neighborhood derives the first half of its name from The Plaza, a steet passing through the center of the area; and Midwood, a subdivision of the neighborhood.
The district's boundaries are slightly ambiguous, but it is generally recognized as the area in between Hawthorne Lane on the west and the Charlotte Country Club on the east, and between Parkwood Rd. (extending to Country Club Ln.) on the north and Central Avenue to the south.
Early in its history, Plaza-Midwood was an industrial neighborhood centered around a streetcar line. The streetcar has long been inactive, but the moderate density of the district makes it vibrant and pleasant. An economic upturn in the last 20 years has brought it from seediness to popularity, especially among members of Charlotte's alternative cultural scene.
The easiest way to get into the neighborhood is to drive, but bus service to the area makes mass transit a fairly easy option. The #4 bus line serves the Plaza, and the 9 and 39 both serve Central Ave. Most of the neighborhood is easily walkable and safe, but is not recommended to walk there from outside the district as several nearby neighborhoods are not particularly safe.
- Book Buyers, 1308 The Plaza (at the corner of Central & Plaza), 704-344-8611. Excellent used bookstore with a wide selection. Has a citywide reputation as one of teh best booksellers around.
- Repo Records, 2516 Central Ave, 704-334-7376.
- Queens Gallery and Art Center, 1212 The Plaza, 704-372-2993.
Plaza-Midwood has arisen as one of Charlotte's best restaurant hubs. In the neighborhood's center is a diverse collection of popular dinner joints; at its edges, a broad variety of immigrant-owned restaurants. The east side of Charlotte is the most internationally-diverse area in North Carolina, and Plaza-Midwood's surprising array of eateries and foreign-language groceries reflects that identity.
- The Penguin, 1921 Commonwealth Ave. One of Plaza-Midwood's dogged survivors, this restaurant has earned its high reputation among locals. The eclectic patronage fits well with the gritty-artsy area surrounding the restaurant. The menu features many Carolinas-themed delicacies, including barbeque and "Brunswick stew".
- House of Pizza, 3640 Central Av. Somewhat less trendy than its competitors, House of Pizza has an old-Charlotte appeal that has weathered the decades. Very low-key and friendly, this is an establishment among the working-class families in the Plaza-Midwood area. The food also happens to be cheap and well-made.
- Little Italy. 2221 Central Ave., +1 704 375-1625. Italian for the rest of us. The neon sign directs you to this long-tenured establishment on gritty Central Avenue. Low prices and lots of neighborhood character.
- Charleston House, 3120 The Plaza, . Another well-established soul food restaurant, owned and operated by African Americans. Located in the Plaza-Midwood neighborhood, Charleston House is known for its exemplary service, coat-and-tie atmosphere and tasteful live music. A bit pricier than Mert's or Simmons, but worth every penny.
- Thomas St. Tavern, 1228 Thomas Avenue, +1 704 376-1622, . Open M-Sa 11AM-2AM, Su 12PM-2AM. Well-established in the heart of Plaza-Midwood, this is also a good place to grab lunch or dinner before the heavy drinking begins. It's well worth giving some thought to combining dinner at the Penguin with drinking at the Tavern. Very intimate with lots of regulars. Beer between $2 - $7, Shots between $4 - $10, Wine $4/glass.
- Fuel Pizza
- Ben Thanh
- Diamond Restaurant
- Dim Sum
- Luv B's
- Bayou Kitchen
- Nova's Bakery
- Elizabeth Billiards, 1400 Central Ave., +1 704 342-2663. Daily 3:30PM-2AM. Again and again, this pool bar ranks at the top of Charlotte's dive-bar scene. Its small size and smoky atmosphere are perfect for clientele seeking a "neighborhood bar" feel. It doesn't take long to notice that everyone seems to know each other; the regulars are welcoming and among pool bars this is one of the safest.