Charlevoix is in Quebec.
Covering 6000 square kilometers in the Canadian shield, Charlevoix has a magnificiant mountain scenery caused by a 15-billion-pound meteor 350 million years ago. The earliest vacation visitors who came in Charlevoix are as far as 1760.
Baie St-Paul is the major city of this region. You get by car using the 138 highway. It is about 4 to 5 hours from Montreal and 2 hours from Quebec City.
Rivière-du-Loup—Saint-Siméon, duration: 65 minutes, (418) 638-2856 or (418) 862-5094.
Baie-Sainte-Catherine—Tadoussac, duration: 8 minutes, free, (418) 235-4395.
Saint-Joseph-de-la-Rive—Isle-aux-Coudres, duration: 15 minutes, free, (418) 438-2743.
Intercar, 1-888-861-4592 (toll free), offers the service from Montreal (Central station, Metro Berri-UQAM) and Quebec City (Gare du Palais, 320, rue Abraham-Martin) to Baie St-Paul and various cities in Charlevoix along the St-Lawrence River. Departs from Montreal : 6 AM, 11 AM, 2 PM from Saturday to Thursday; 6 AM, 9 AM, 1 PM, 2 PM on Fridays. 20% off for students. Reservations are mandatory for some cities. Schedules and stops: http://www.intercar.qc.ca/fr/02-01-15.html
The best way to go around in Charlevoix is by car. However, you can get to many locations by bus with Intercar (see above).
There are two national parks in this region:
- Parc national des Grands-Jardins: 381 road, km 31, 1-866-702-9202 (toll free). This park has 134 lakes and 7 rivers. You can do hiking (hike on Mont du Lac des Cygnes is a must), cycling, canoeing, kayaking (rentals available on-site) and fishing (brook trout). Camping available. Admission: 3,50$/person. http://www.sepaq.com
- Parc national des Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Rivière-Malbaie: Saint-Aimé-des-Lacs, 1-866-702-9202. Spectacular sight for canoeing or kayaking on the river. Nice hiking on Acropole des Draveurs. Admission: 3,50$/person. http://www.sepaq.com
- Alpine Skiing: Massif de la Petite Rivière Sant-Francois, 1-877-536-2774 (toll free). Alpine skiers, don't miss out this mountain, the highest drop east of the Rockies Mountains. Incredible ski conditions. 41$/day for 1 adult. Discounts available for students and large groups. http://www.lemassif.com
- Hiking: Parc National des Grands Jardins, Parc National des Hautes-Gorges de La Malbaie
- Les Saveurs Oubliées, Les Eboulements, 350, Rang Godefroy, (418) 635-9888. Exquisite country and Charlevoix regional cuisine. Famous for their lamb meals. Bring your wine. Reservation must be made well in advance. Around 40$ per person. http://www.agneausaveurscharlevoix.com/english.html
- Les Mésanges, Baie-St-Paul
The two regions to see after visiting Charlevoix are Quebec Region and Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean.