Changshu (常熟) is a city in Jiangsu province, China.
The nearest major airports are in Shanghai, an approximately two-hour drive from Changshu (~150KM).
By train and bus
The nearest train station is Suzhou Railway Station. From the train station take a charter bus to Changshu. The bus ticket should cost less than 20 RMB and the ride should last no more than an hour, usually about 45 minutes. The bus will take you either to Changshu's North Bus Station (北站) or its South Bus Station (南站). Changshu's main bus station is the south station, which connects to more destinations and closes much later than the north station. The south station is ideal for first-time city visitors because it's in the heart of Changshu's famed garment district. Both stations are about a ten-minute taxi ride to downtown. To head downtown tell the driver to take you to Fangta Jie (方塔街) or Yushan Hill Park (Yushan Gong Yuan/虞山公园).
Metered taxis start at 10 RMB. Expensive, I know.
All clubs below are found downtown (Fangta Jie & Yushan Beilu intersection). They're all a short walking distance from each other except for Baidu (aka Boiling 100 Degrees) which is a 20-minute walk or a 5-minute taxi ride from any other club on this list.
- Casamia - Expat restaurant and bar near OK88 and several other bars and clubs. Street: Yushan Beilu.
- OK88 - Nightclub popular with foreigners and the younger crowd, it plays mostly Western/American music.
- Jia Club - Not sure of the exact name of the club but it's 50 feet from both OK88 and Casamia. The front entrance directly faces Yushan Hill/Park. It plays mostly Western/American music like OK88 and is much darker inside. It just opened in May 2011.
- Baidu (aka Boiling 100 Degrees) - Nightclub playing mostly Chinese music. It has a small pulsing dance floor. Baidu's about a mile north of OK88 and Casamia off the same street, Yushan Beilu.
- 0576 - Nightclub playing a mix of Chinese music and Western remixes. It's off the main road in town, Fangta Jie, just south of Parkson's Department Store/Starbucks and just west of the town square. It's a short walk south of OK88.
- Freeman's Club - Place looks like a strip club from the outside. It's on the corner across the street from the KFC off the town square as well as across the street and several paces from 0576 nightclub. There's usually a 10 RMB cover. During weekends it's more of a dance club and on weeknights it's usually just a bar. Unlike the dance floor/"stages" at all the other clubs on this list, the dance floor at this club is not elevated like a stage. Therefore, the whole club can't see you dancing from every corner of the club.
- Crowne Plaza Changsu, No. 1 Kai Yuan Avenue, ☎ 86-512-5272 9999, . Opened 2006, somewhat separated from the center of the city. Rates tend to be in the range of 400-700 RMB/night, and the rooms are comparable to 4-star hotels in the United States. 400-700RMB.
- Four Points Sheraton, . 4/5-star hotel, closer to downtown. Rates are also generally in the range of 400-700 RMB/night.
Changshu Expats Association