Changde (常德; Chángdé) is a city in Hunan.
Changde is a prefecture level city, which is to say not really a city but a large, evenly populated and seamless urban settlement. Changde city proper, with a population of at least 500,000 is the largest city in the prefecture level city of Changde with a total population of 6 million.
National Highways 207 and 319 run through the city.
- Changde Airport (常德机场; Chángdé Jīchǎng). This airport has flights from Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Kunming, and Shanghai.
- Changde Train Station (常德火车站; Chángdé Huǒchēzhàn). This station lies between Zhangjiajie and Changsha on an eastwest line. It is possible to travel from nearly anywhere on China's extensive rail network to Changde, but from farther destinations (Beijing, for example) it would take 24+ hours on the train.
- The Central Bus Station (中站; Zhōngzhàn). This station has buses hourly from Changsha, Shimen, and a host of other destinations.
- The North Bus Station (北站; Běizhàn). This station has buses from Zhangjiajie, Cili, and other destinations.
- Liuye Lake Bus Station (柳叶湖站; Liǔyèhúzhàn). This station has buses from Yueyang, Huarong, and other destinations.
- The South Bus Station (南站; Nánzhàn). This station has buses form the Peach Flower Garden and other destinations.
Buses run regularly throughout the city on set routes. (¥1; ¥1.5 with a/c)
Taxis are cheap and plentiful (¥5 is the starting cost). Prices can be negotiated in advance for lengthier rides.
- The Poem Wall - Stretching for miles along the north bank of the river, this wall of poetry is beautiful even for those who can't read the characters. The wall is flanked by a riverside park and makes for a great place to walk and people watch. For a different perspective, stop by at night when the multicolored lights are on. Free admission.
- Buxingjie - Walking Street - This is the most happening part of town and a good place to shop for the most fashionable attire that Changde has to offer. Western food at both the east and west ends.
- Peach Flower Garden (桃花源; Táohuāyuán), (you can catch a bus here from the South Bus Station (南站; Nánzhàn)). This scenic garden was immortalized in Chinese poetry. ¥69 in the off season, ¥79 otherwise.
- South of the Bridge Marketplace (桥南市场; qiao2 nan2 shi4 chang3) - This massive marketplace has the cheapest prices in Changde on a huge variety of goods. Clothing, shoes, appliances, sporting equipment, toys, stationary, and countless other items are sold here. Be sure to bargain for the best deals.
- Changde Beef Noodles (常德牛肉粉; chang2 de2 niu2 rou4 fen3) - Changde is famous for their rice noodles with beef. These can be found at most local restaurants, but you can find some of the best at the east end of walking street or outside the main gate at Number 1 Middle School (常德市一中）.
- Japanese Food - 1 block east of walking street, there is a Japanese noodle and sushi restaurant located on the first floor of the Better Life shopping complex. The noodles are especially good, but be prepared to pay 30-50 RMB for a bowl.