Chamonix is a famous resort in French Alps at the foot of Mont Blanc (White Mountain).
Chamonix is connected to the valley by a highway and a small railway line. It is also connected to Italy by road via the tunnel under the Mont-Blanc.
- Mer de Glace (Ice Sea), the biggest glacier in continental Europe, accessible by the Montenvers rack railway.
- Aiguille du Midi cable car, one of the highest of the world. Take warm clothes. The temperature is alway cold even in mid summer.
- Brevent cable car, on the other side of the valley, the best scenery on the Mont-Blanc.
- Compagnie des Guides (mountain guides), 190 place de l'Église, 74400 Chamonix Mont Blanc, tel. 04 50 53 00 88
- Vallée blanche (White Valley), glacier skiing. Need a full day from the Aiguille du Midi cable car. Reserved for well trained skiers.
Take the telepherique to the top of a nearby peak. Hike down, it's easy!
It's France. The food is all good. Open a can of Ravioli from the supermarket and eat it with your freshly purchased Swiss Army Knife. If you've been hiking all day, it'll be the best meal you've ever had.