Caserta is a city in Campania. Its main attraction is the Palazzo Reale (Royal Palace). During italian summer holidays it can get quite packed. During the rest of the year it is a sleepy town.
There are regular trains running from and to Naples and Rome.
CPTC buses serve Caserta among other bus companies.
- Palazzo Reale (also called La Reggia), (It's just opposite the train station). Palace: 8:30 - 19:30 (year round), Garden: 8:30 - 18:00 (june to august, closes earlier during the other months), monday closed. It is one of the largest palaces in Europe. Sometimes it is compared to Versaille, mainly due to the garden architecture. For more detailed information see . The toilet on the ground floor of the palace might be worth a visit, as well as the tourist office in the palace. In the garden there's a bus that takes you up and down the garden (1€ return). Entrance: 12€ including garden.
There are a couple of cheap hotels in via Giuseppe Garibaldi (turn right when you come out of the train station) .
- Hotel Amadeus, via Giuseppe Verdi 72-76 (next to train station and palace), ☎ +39.0823.352663 ([email protected], fax: +39.0823/329195), . free wifi from 65€ (single), 93€ (double).
- Hotel New Baby, ☎ +39 0823 322681 ([email protected], fax: +39 0823 288690), . checkout: 11am. nice rooms, poor sound insulation, free wifi from 40€ (single), 50€ (double).
- B&B L'Antico Cortile Via Tanucci, 55 - 81100 Caserta - tel 3454522070 . Situated in the heart of Caserta, 2 minutes from the Royal Palace garden entrance.
- Grand Hotel Vanvitelli Viale carlo III caserta - tel. o823 217111 .
- Hotel Europa Caserta Via Roma, 19 Caserta(CE) 81100 Italy, Tel : +39 0823 325400 . One of the most important hotels in Caserta, very close to the Reggia royal Palace.
- Jolly Hotel Caserta, V.le Vittorio Veneto, 13, +39 0823 325222 . The Jolly Hotel Caserta is situated in the city centre, only 500 metres away from the famous "Reggia di Caserta". It offers 107 spacious and elegant rooms with a partial view of the panorama of the Reggia.