Casciana Terme is a town of 3696 inhabitants in the province of Pisa. Formed from what was until 1927, the southern part of the municipality of Lari, which was already referred to as Bagni di Casciana.
The name Casciana derives from the Latin name of Cassius, with the meaning of "Cassio’s Land”, but the location is first mentioned by the name of Acqui at the end of the ninth century, with reference to the thermal characteristics of the place. The village was called Bagni di Casciana, referring to the center of Casciana, until 1956 when it assumed its present name.
The village is best known for the thermal plant which receives a constant flow of lime-sulfur water at 37 ° C. It is said that the thermal water was discovered by the Countess Matilda of Canossa. She had a rather old and sickly blackbird, which had grayish feathers from age. One day the countess noticed that the blackbird was moving better and his feathers were becoming, once again, an intense black color and his beak was returning to a bright yellow color. She followed the blackbird during its daily morning outings, and discovered that the blackbird would land and dip his legs in a strange "steaming water." The countess wished to try the miraculous waters, and it took very little time for the benefits to be apparent. She then decided to build several baths, which were the first beginnings of the thermal plants that we see today. Up until 1927, the baths were the property of the municipality of Lari.
Places of InterestEdit
- Church of San Martino in Petraija
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta
- Oratory of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows
- Chiesa dei Santi Quirico e Giulitta to Parlascio
- Castle Gello MATTACCINO
- Castle Parlascio
- Il Poggio di San Ruffino Hotel Lari, Via del Molinaccio, Casciana Terme, Lari, Pisa 56035 Italy., ☎ +39 333 911 4917, . Self-catering apartments of different sizes with private bath, living and kitchen. Also available a relaxing swimming pool, bar and restaurant. Breakfast included and served in the restaurant on request. edit
- San Ruffino Resort Lari Pisa, "Via, ☎ "+, . Located in a restored XVII century castle nestled in the Tuscan Hills with a view of the countryside the resort offers self-catering apartments with free WiFi, Flat screen TV and private bathrooms with jacuzzi or jet showers. edit