Carson is a city in Los Angeles County.
- West Carson is an unincorporated area, like it's name says, to the west of Carson. Home of the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. One of the biggest hospitals in the Los Angeles area.
- Lomita is a small town to the west of Carson, nestled at the foot of the hills of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Described by some as "ghetto" due to it's aging appearance.
The main air transport hub for Southern California.
- Optionally, there is also the Torrance Airport that serves small, private aircraft.
- Alameda St. runs through the eastern part of the city.
- Pacific Coast Highway Also called PCH for short. Runs through Lomita and to the south of Carson.
- The Gardena Freeway runs through the northernmost part of the city. Off ramps include Main St., Avalon Blvd., Central Ave., and Wilmington Ave.
- The Harbor Freeway runs along the city's Western border. Off-ramps include Anaheim St., Pacific Coast Highway, Sepulveda Blvd., 223rd St, Carson St., and Figueroa St.
- The San Diego Freeway runs diagonally through the south of the city. Off-ramps include Main St., Avalon Blvd., Carson St., Wilmington Ave., Alameda St., Santa Fe Ave.
- The Long Beach Freeway runs just to the East of the city. Off-ramps include Willow St., Wardlow Rd., and Del Amo Blvd. Note: The 710 Fwy. is a major truck route from the Long Beach & Los Angeles ports and are almost always present in large numbers on this freeway.
- Metro Express Line 450 runs on the Harbor Fwy.
- Metro Local routes 52, 130, 202, 205, 246 and 352 run into the city.
- The Goodyear Blimp Field, home of the famous LA blimp is visible off the 405 freeway. The blimp can be seen flying over the South Bay, the Palos Verdes Peninsula, or up to Los Angeles for a baseball or basketball game. Although it is a bit distracting to see it take off while driving.
- The Arco Oil Refinery, along with the Chevron Refinery in Torrance is a big part of the South Bay cityscape. It's quite a sight to see the clouds of smoke wafting up from a row of smokestacks and illuminated from under by an orange light. A tall torch, visible from far away is always lit.
The StubHub Center
The StubHub center (formerly The Home Depot Center) is a large sporting complex with multiple venues and is home to two professional sports teams:
- LA Galaxy, . One of the charter members of Major League Soccer. The club has won five MLS cups, the most in the league.
- Los Angeles Chargers, . The Los Angeles Chargers of the NFL are currently using the stadium as a temporary home stadium until their move to the Inglewood stadium in 2020, a world class stadium that they will share with the Los Angeles Rams.
- The stadium formerly housed Chivas USA of the MLS and the Los Angeles Sol of the WPS, but both clubs are now defunct.
- There is also a tennis stadium, wooden bicycle race track, and a track & field facility.
- The Carson Mall is a smaller mall with a big layout. The main concourse is several stories tall despite there only being one story to go to. The IKEA here is fun to go to even if you don't buy anything.
- Five Guys Burgers & Fries (at the Carson Mall), 20700 Avalon Blvd., ☎ (310) 515-7700, . 11am - 10pm. One of the best chain burger places to go in Southern California
California State University, Dominguez Hills Next door to the StubHub center, it is a big school that's part of the CSU system. Many community college students seek to transfer here to finish their degrees.
- Quality Inn South Bay Carson Hotel 888 E Dominquer Street. (310) 715-6688. In the heart of the Southland, easily accessible from the I-405 San Diego Fwy, 710 Long Beach Fwy, 91 Artesia Fwy and 110 Harbor Fwy. Disneyland and Universal Studios are a short ride away
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Carson (DoubleTree Carson Hotel), 2 Civic Plaza, Carson, California, 90745 (From Downtown Los Angeles: 110 Harbor Freeway (South) to 405 Freeway (South) exit Carson Street, turn left onto Carson Street, hotel is on right side.), ☎ 310-830-9200, . checkin: 3 pm; checkout: 12 pm. The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Carson is next to the Carson Conference Center and close to the Home Depot Center Sports and Entertainment Complex.