Carmarthen (Welsh: Caerfyrddin)  is the county town of Carmarthenshire in South Wales, UK.
Although the town lacks an abundance of tourist attractions, if your journey takes you past then consider taking a break here. There are some pleasant cafes, and the old town center and its famous market are definitely worth a look. A twelfth century history book names the town as the birth place of the wizard of Arthurian legend, Merlin. Consequently, there are a few 'Merlin' themed events and establishments in the town.
From East: M4 to end, A48 the rest of the way. Parking is not exactly easy, though the parking lot behind the market is the most convenient for the shopping center.
There are some direct trains from London, though generally you will need to change at Swansea
The town center is small enough to easily get around on foot or bicycle.
- Carmarthen Market. The area around Carmarthen has been a magnet for the counter-culture since the 60s, and as a result, the town's market peddles an interesting mixture of traditional market goods and hippie handcrafts. The market it open six days a week, though Wednesday and Saturday are market days and the best days to visit.
- Carmarthen Castle . The ruins of the castle are located in the town center.
- Carmarthen County Museum, Abergwili (1.5 miles east of the town on the A40) . Tel: +44 1267 228-696. A small museum displaying a wide range of artifacts representing the county's heritage. Open: Mon – Sat 10AM – 4.30PM
- If you are coming in from Cardiff, Swansea or the Tenby area, Carmarthen will be the first place that you have the chance to often hear Welsh spoken on the street.
- Handcrafts at the market.
- The famous "Carmarthen Ham" at the Albert Rees butchers stall in the market.
- Caban Y Dderwen, 11 Mansel Street (five minute walk from the market). Tel:+44 1267 238-989 - cafe type meals - good prices and freshly made.
- Caban Y Dderwen, 11 Mansel Street (five minute walk from the market). Tel:+44 1267 238-989 - good coffee and mouth-watering cakes.
There are some good B&Bs in a rural setting near Carmarthen.