|(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)|
| || |
* '''Hall of Fame Fitness Center''', 2700 Roberts Ave, tel: +1 330 455-4348, [http://www.hoffitnesscenter.com]. Open M-F
6AM- 10PM; Sa-Su 8AM- 5PM. This fitness center offers exercise equipment, a track, and an indoor swimming pool, along with other fitness orientated activities. A free pass can be obtained from their website. |+|
* '''Hall of Fame Fitness Center''', 2700 Roberts Ave, tel: +1 330 455-4348, [http://www.hoffitnesscenter.com]. Open M-F -; Sa-Su -. This fitness center offers exercise equipment, a track, and an indoor swimming pool, along with other fitness orientated activities. A free pass can be obtained from their website.
| || |
* '''YMCA''', 405 2nd Street NW, tel: +1 330 456-7141, [http://www.ymcastark.org/].
* '''YMCA''', 405 2nd Street NW, tel: +1 330 456-7141, [http://www.ymcastark.org/].
Revision as of 17:29, 7 October 2012
Canton  is a mid-sized city located in Stark County, Northeast Ohio in the State of Ohio, USA. It is best known as the birthplace of professional American football, since the Canton Bulldogs were the first professional football team. It is also the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, William McKinley Presidential Library and Museum, and National First Ladies' Library.
About 20% of Canton residents report German ancestry, and about 10% report Irish ancestry. The influence of these two ancestries can been seen throughout Canton.
- Canton/Stark County Convention Visitors Bureau, 222 Market Ave. N. (Located inside the Millennium Centre), ☎ +1 330-454-1439, .
- Akron-Canton Regional Airport, CAK.  Located in neighboring Summit County about a ten minute drive from Canton.
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, CLE. A hub for Continental Airlines, the Cleveland Airport, combined with an approximately one-hour drive is a convenient means to visit Canton.
- Interstate 77. Canton can be accessed primarily by I-77 which provides connection to Akron and Cleveland to the north, runs through New Philadelphia and Marietta, Ohio to the south, ultimately running its course through West Virginia and the Carolinas.
- U.S. Route 30. Route 30 also runs through Canton. It heads to Fort Wayne in the west and Pittsburgh in the east.
- Lakefront Lines, 112 Cherry Ave SE, +1 330 456-7323, . They are located at SARTA's Canton Transfer Center.
- Stark County Regional Transit Authority (SARTA), tel: +1 330-47-SARTA (330-477-2782), . $1.50 Regular fare/ .75 Reduced fare (Seniors, Disabled)/ Children under 6 ride free. SARTA provides reliable public bus service throughout Stark County. Transfer Centers are located in: Alliance, Massillon, and Canton. There is a bus to the Akron/Canton Airport (Route 115) and an express bus between Canton and Downtown Akron (Route 81). Buses on main routes generally depart each stop every hour. SARTA buses run 365 days per year. On Holidays, buses run the Sunday schedule. Check website for details. Additionally, Lakefront Lines, a private bus company, operates an office in SARTA's Canton Transfer Center. Lakefront Lines goes through Canton on it's route between Cleveland and Charleston, SC.
If you wish to get a cab in Canton, or anywhere else in Stark County, you have to call for one. At the minimum you should call 30 minutes before you need a ride.
- Blue Cab Company, ☎ 330-546-1793, 330-316-4287.
- Canton Limo Service, ☎ +1 888-515-4667, .
- Yellow Cab Leasing, 4137 Martindale Rd NE, ☎ +1 330-491-4343.
Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Canton Classic Car Museum, 104 6th St. SW (Market Ave. S at Sixth St. SW), ☎ +1 330-455-3603, . Daily 10AM-5PM (except holidays). Thousands of pieces of nostalgia, memorabilia, antiques, and period fashions. There are 45 antique and collectible autos, including a 1970 Plymouth Superbird, a 1937 Fully bullet proof Canton Police Car, and a hand carved 1937 Packard Hearse. $7.50/6/5/Free (Adults/Seniors/Children 6-18/Children under 6).
- Canton Memorial Civic Center, 1101 Market Ave N, ☎ +1 330-489-3090 (fax: +1 330- 471-8840), . Numerous events are held at the Canton Civic Center, such as sporting events, car shows, and circuses.
- Cultural Center for the Arts, 1001 Market Ave N, ☎ +1 330-452-4096 (fax: +1 330-452-4477), . This venue houses many of Canton's fine and performing arts, including the Canton Museum of Art.
- Canton Museum of Art, 1001 Market Ave N, ☎ +1 330-453-7666, . Tu-Th 10AM-8PM; Fri 10AM-5PM; Sa 10AM-3PM; Su 1PM-5PM. Known for collections of watercolors and ceramics. $6/4 (Adults/Seniors and Children).
- National First Ladies' Library, 205 & 331 Market Ave. S, ☎ +1 330-452-0876, . M-Sa 9AM-4PM. The Victorian family home of US Presidential First Lady Ida Saxton McKinley now serves as an educational center on the subject of contributions by the wives of US Presidents and other women with significant roles in historical US politics. Call ahead for tour reservations. $7/6/5 (Adults/Seniors/Children).
- Wm. McKinley Presidential Library and Museum (McKinley Monument), 800 McKinley Monument Drive NW, ☎ +1 330-455-7043 (fax: +1 330-455-1137), . M-Sa 9AM-4PM ; Su 12PM-4PM. Climb the 108 steps to the top! The memorial for the 25th U.S. President William McKinley is free, but the museum has a charge. $7/6/5 (Adults/Seniors/Children).
- Canton Palace Theatre, 605 Market Avenue N, ☎ +1 330-454-8172, . The Palace Theatre is a restored 1920's theater. Be sure to look up and check out the "real" sky, complete with stars and moving clouds. Over 300 events are played at the palace each year, from musicals to matinées. On the first Wednesday of every month $1 matinées are shown.
- Canton Symphony Orchestra, several locations throughout Canton, ☎ +1 330-452-2094, . The Canton Symphony Orchestra has been playing since the late 1930's. The orchestra plays new music, classical music, and showcases soloists. Prices vary depending on concert.
- Center Ice Skating Arena, 8319 Port Jackson Ave. NW, ☎ +1 330-966-0169, . Call first for open skating times. This ice skating rink has a NHL sized rink, high school and college games, and open skating, along with lessons on skating.
- Lincoln Highway, . Travel a section of the historic Lincoln Highway through Canton on Tuscarawas Street.
- Italian-American Festival, 305 Wertz Avenue (Stark County Fairgrounds), ☎ +1 330-453-3782 or +1 330 494-0886 ([email protected]), . Usually occurs towards the end of June. Attractions include authentic Italian food, Italian car show, Bocce tournaments, to name a few. Free.
- Stark County Fair, 305 Wertz Avenue, ☎ +1 330-452-0621 ([email protected], fax: +1 330-452-0787), . Usually held during the end of August. $7/Free (General/Children under 2).
The Annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Festival  is the biggest event in Canton each year. These events occur for about 10 days each summer. Dates for 2010 are July 30th - August 8th.
- AFC-NFC Hall of Fame Game. This preseason classic is held annually at Fawcett Stadium in Canton.
- Timken Grand Parade. This parade follows a 2.2 mile route and attracts more than 200,000 spectators.
- Balloon Classic Invitational/Jackson-Belden Food Fest & Fireworks, 6000 Frank Avenue NW (Kent State - Stark Branch). Free. Parking $5 after 3PM.
- National Ribs Burnoff, Stark County Fairgrounds. Free. Parking $5 after 4PM.
- Concert and Fireworks, Downtown Canton. Free.
- Kent State University, Stark Campus, 6000 Frank Avenue NW, North Canton, +1 330 244-3300, . Kent Stark is one of Kent State University's regional campuses. This public college is positioned on approximately 200 acres and has more than 10,000 students as of 2007.
- Malone University, 2600 Cleveland Ave. NW, +1 330 471-8100, . Malone University is a private university that has an enrollment of 3,700 students as of 2007.
- Stark State College of Technology, 6200 Frank Avenue NW, North Canton, +1 330 494-6170, . Stark State College is a technical college that offers more than 45 associate degrees in several fields.
- Walsh University, 2020 East Maple Street NW, North Canton, +1 330 490-7090, . Walsh is a private university that has approximately 2,500 students as of 2007.
Canton is home to the Fortune 1000 headquarters of:
- 417 The Timken Company, bearings and specialty steel manufacturer
- 671 Diebold, Electronics and ATM manufacturer
- Canton Centre Mall, 4000 Tuscarawas St W, ☎ +1 330-478-1438, . M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 12PM-5:30PM.
- Westfield Belden Village, 4230 Belden Village Mall, North Canton, ☎ +1 330-494-5490, . M-F 10:30AM-8:30PM, Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 11AM-6PM.
- 5th Avenue Flea Market, 3800 Harmont Ave. NW (Rt. 62 and Harmont, near Kmart), ☎ +1 330-453-3803. Sa-Su 9AM-5PM. Indoor flea market with about 200 vendors.
- Sunrise Cafe, 3020 Harrisburg Rd NE (near SR 62), ☎ +1 330-588-8080. Diner with reasonable prices for breakfast.
- John's Grille, 2749 Cleveland Ave NW, ☎ +1 330-454-1259, . M-Th 7AM-10PM, F-Sa 7AM-11PM. Dinners $10-20.
- Tim's Tavern, 3323 Parkway St NW, ☎ +1 330-455-6306 ([email protected]), . Daily 7AM-1AM. Dinners $10-15.
- Arcadia Grill, 321 Court Ave NW, ☎ +1 330-454-6055 ([email protected], fax: +1 330-454-2841), . Su 8AM-2PM, M-Tu 11AM-8AM, W-F 11AM-9PM, Sa 7AM-9PM.
- Baker's Cafe, 1927 Stark Ave SW, ☎ +1 330-454-0528. M-Th 8AM-9PM; F-Sa 8AM-10PM. While the setting may not be what one would expect, from it's location in an industrial area and the plain brick exterior, Baker's has the best steaks in the area. Dinners $15-$25..
- Napoli's Italian Eatery, 221 Market Ave N, ☎ +1 330-452-7456. Napoli's is one of Canton's best downtown restaurants. This Italian restaurant is known for their pizza and pasta dishes. Outdoor dining in the summer.
- The Desert Inn, 204 12th St NW, ☎ +1 330-456-1766 ([email protected]), . Order a meal "family style" where everyone orders their own meat and shares salad, rice, potatoes and bread. Belly dancers on Fridays.
- Bender's, 137 Court Ave SW, ☎ +1 330-453-8424 ([email protected], fax: +1 330-453-9009), . M-Th 11AM-9:30PM, F 11AM-10:30PM, Sa 5PM-10:30PM. One of the more upscale restaurants, be prepared to spend around $100 for dinner and wine for two. Dinners $20-40.
- Peter Shears, 427 Tuscarawas St E, ☎ +1 330-588-8300 ([email protected], fax: +1 330-588-8797), . M-Th 11AM-10PM, F 11AM-11PM, Sa 5PM-11PM. Dinners $16-35.
- Brewhouse Pub And Grille, 426 Portage Street, ☎ +1-330-966-7447.
- Harmon's Pub, 2329 Tuscarawas St W, ☎ +1 330-453-2144, . M-Sa 11AM-2:30AM. Open . This Irish pub is a local favorite. Harmon's is known for their Irish Fries, potatoes sliced chip-thin, deep fried, and coated with a special seasoning. Harmon's motto, "Good luck, good cheer, good friends!" really describes the atmosphere.
- Tozzi's Restaurant of Magnolia, 144 North Main St. Magnolia (Magnolia is a short drive south of Canton.), ☎ +1 330 866-9878. Tuesday-Sunday Evenings. Tozzi's Restaurant of Magnolia. Est.1914 Offering steaks, seafood, chicken and pasta. Join family and friends in the heart of Magnolia. Original tin ceilings, fresh roses and white table cloths make Tozzi's classic atmosphere. Full bar and attentive service. Please call for reservations. Cash only. $10-35.
- George's Lounge, 229 Cleveland Ave. N.W. (two blocks right off of Tuscarawas), ☎ 330-452-0029. Tues 2pm-6pm Thurs 4pm-2:30 am, Fri 6pm-2:30am, Sat 6pm-2:30am. A locally owned bar since 1959, now under new management. MC/Visa accepted. $2-5.
- Lorentz's Diner, 3711 Middlebranch ave NE, ☎ 330-454-6280. M-F 6-2,Sa 7-2,Su 8-2. breakfast and lunch. casual. under $8.
- Courtyard by Marriott Canton (Canton's Hall of Fame Experience), 4375 Metro Circle NW, ☎ 330.494.6494, . Located in the heart of Canton's entertainment district, the Courtyard Marriott Canton is centrally located to major universities, cultural attractions, amusement parks, symphonies, cinemas, Harry London Chocolate Factory, and Westfield Shopping Mall, an Ohio shopping mecca.
- Picciano's (Picciano's Martini Lounge), 410 Market Ave N. (1 1/2 Block South of the Palace), ☎ +1 330 454-3800. Picciano's A Unique cocktail lounge and gathering place for friends and family. Full bar specializing in fresh cocktails, offering finger foods Tues-Sat evenings. Lunch Fri only.Located on Market Ave and 4th St. North. No outside sign.
- Days Inn Canton, 3970 Convenience Circle, tel: +1 330 493-8883, (fax: +1 330 493-7420, email: mailto:[email protected]), . Free wireless internet. $35-55/night.
- McKinley Grand Hotel, 320 Market Avenue South, tel: +1 330 454-5000, Fax: +1 330 454-5090, . Downtown across the street from the National First Ladies' Library. The building is a older and looks a tad worn, but the rooms are clean. Has an indoor pool and hot tub. $100-200/night.
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott Canton, 5285 Broadmoor Circle NW, +1 330 493-7373, Fax: +1 330 493-7373, . Average hotel. Nothing fancy, but nothing horrible either. $90-120/night.
- Comfort Inn - Hall of Fame, 5345 Broadmoor Circle, NW (Belden Village Area), ☎ +1 330-492-1331 (fax: +1 330-492-9093), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: Noon. Nice hotel, although the rooms could use some updating. Has a sauna and an indoor pool. Also has a pretty decent restaurant/lounge.
- Quality Inn & Suites, 4914 Everhard Rd NW, . Indoor pool and hot tub. While the rooms are clean, the bathrooms are on the small side. Friendly and helpful staff.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Canton, 5280 Broadmoor Circle NW, +1 330 493-0004, Fax: +1 330 493-0004, . Kitchenettes in each suite. Allows pets. $150-250/night.
- Cambria Suites Akron-Canton Airport, 1787 Thorn Drive , tel: +1 330 454-5000, Fax: +1 +1 330 899-1990, . Five minutes away from the airport, this hotel is brand new and has a lot of amenities for business travelers and vacationers.
- The Bertram Inn at Glenmoor, 4191 Glenmoor Road NW, tel: +1 330 966-3600, (toll free: +1 888-456-6667, fax: +1 330 966-3611), . Upscale hotel located on an award winning golf course. Stay includes use of facilities, such as the golf course and European spa.
Dial 911 from any telephone for emergency police, medical, and fire services.
Areas that are not recommended for travelers:
- Highland Park - Now known as Skyline Terrace - Cherry Ave. south of 14th Street
- Newton Zone - Newton Ave. between Tuscarawas and 5th Street
- Deuce Block - 2nd St. NE by Harrisburg
- United States Post Office, 220 4th Street SW, ☎ +1 330-438-6444. M-F 8:30AM-5PM.
- Aultman Hospital, 2600 6th St SW, tel: +1 330 452-9911, .
- Mercy Medical Center, 1320 Mercy Dr NW, tel: +1 330 489-1000, .
- Hall of Fame Fitness Center, 2700 Roberts Ave, tel: +1 330 455-4348, . Open M-F 6:00AM-10:00PM; Sa-Su 8:00AM-5:00PM. This fitness center offers exercise equipment, a track, and an indoor swimming pool, along with other fitness orientated activities. A free pass can be obtained from their website.
- Planet Fitness, 4317 Whipple Ave NW, tel: +1 330-493-9855, . Open 24 hours M-F; Open 12:00AM Monday thru 9:00PM Friday; Sa-Su 7:00AM-7:00PM.
- YMCA, 405 2nd Street NW, tel: +1 330 456-7141, .
- Bubbles & Bleach Laundromat & Dry Cleaning, 1127 12th St NW, tel: +1 330 456-9949.
- Suds Duds Etc, 3130 Tuscarawas St W, tel: +1 330 454-0088.
- Suds-N-More Suds, 3102 Cromer Ave NW, tel: +1 330 492-2387.
- Stark County District Library, Main, 715 Market Avenue N, tel: +1 330 452-0665, (fax: +1 330 452-0403), . Hours: Su 1PM-5PM; M-Th 9AM-9PM; F 9AM-6PM; Sa 9AM-5PM. The main branch of the Stark County District Library offers free internet access, although you may have to obtain a library card first.
- The Repository  is the only daily newspaper published in the Canton area.
- Amish Country centered in Holmes County to the southwest of Stark County.
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park, . Located primarily north of Canton, this park follows the course of the Cuyahoga River and the historic Ohio & Erie Canal between Cleveland, Akron and Canton. A number of older buildings are preserved here. The Cuyahoga Scenic Railroad, with train cars from the 1940's and 1950's also runs through the park from Cleveland to Akron and Canton. The Canal Byway extends from Lake Erie in Downtown Cleveland through the southern suburbs past Akron, Canton, New Philadelphia and into rural Bolivar and Historic Zoar.
- Geauga Lake and Wildwater Kingdom,  amusement park in Aurora.
- Hall of Fame Cycle. Tourists can plan visits to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum,  in Cleveland, Inventure Place,  (the National Inventors Hall of Fame) in Akron, and The Pro Football Hall of Fame,  in Canton.
- Hartville. Located about 15 minutes to the north, Hartville offers two flea markets, antique stores and a handful of restaurants.
- Zoar Village State Memorial , 2.5 miles east of I-77 (exit 93) on State Route 212. It is between New Philadelphia and Canton in Tuscarawas County. Referred to as: The quaintest, most interesting and unique village, in this country. Zoar Village was founded by German religious dissenters called the "Society of Separatists of Zoar", in 1817 as a communal society.
"Zoar School Inn Bed and Breakfast" take one or two nights for a stay in the historic first school of Zoar. Step back in time circa 1836. Enjoy fireplace and Jacuzzi suites, full gourmet breakfast and explore Zoar Village. 216-927-3700 www.zoarschoolinn.com ←
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!