Canggu is a beach area in South Bali, north of Seminyak and south of Tanah Lot.
Canggu has a very long black sand beach
Canggu proper is a small village on the beach about 20 minutes north of Seminyak, half way to Tanah Lot. Canggu is widely used though to refer to a large coastal stretch of about 8 km, running north from the village of Berawa (just north of Seminyak) to the village of Cemagi (just south of Tanah Lot) taking in Echo Beach, Seseh and Pererenan along the way. It is still a largely rural area away from the beaches, but is being developed fast.
The beaches have dark grey or black sand and are not particularly good for swimming, but do offer some renowned and challenging surfing spots.
The area is popular with many expatriates who choose to live here, and a large number of the villas owned by overseas nationals are located here. Much of the area features quietly undulating terrain with the rice paddies that typify much of south central Bali.
Taxis can be hard to find in this area and most travel tends to be by private car or motorcycle. Consider booking accommodation with a complimentary airport pickup as this is the easiest way to get to Canggu.
- Very pastoral, Canggu offers a chance to observe the daily rhythms of Balinese village life.
- Check out the sunset from your perch on a surfboard.
- Black sand beaches. Amongst the better beaches in this area are Berawa, Echo Beach and Pererenan.
- Umalas Stables, Jl Lestari 9x, Banjar Umalas Kauh, ☎ +62 361 731402 ([email protected]), . This is Bali's main horse riding stables and many packages are offered. Trotting along the Canggu beaches is especially popular
- The nearby Nirwana Bali Golf Course Tanah Lot. Designed by Greg Norman and is constently voted one of the best golf courses in Asia; it is situated beside the dramatic, waved-lashed sea temple of Tanah Lot just to the north.
- Various activities are offered at the Canggu Club . Bali's first (and only) country club.
- Casa Day Spa & delivery, Jalan Raya Canggu 58A (in between Berawa and Batu Bolong Intersection), ☎ 0361-2149911, . 12noon-8PM. Casa Day Spa and Delivery is a high street style spa located conveniently in the main road Raya Canggu on the way to Tanah Lot Temple or Echo Beach. Casa offer delightful spa treatments and Rated 5 star by Tripadvisor "Casa Home Spa". idr 40.000-225.000.
- OM Beach Lounge Restaurant, ""Jl (opposite Hotel Tugu), ☎ +62 361 9604121. 8AM-11PM. International style food in a large bamboo construction, nice sunset views. Organic market on Sundays, children friendly environment.
- Echo Beach House, Jl Pura Batu Mejan, Echo Beach, Canggu (Sunset road towards Tanah Lot, JL Kerobokan, Jl Semer, Jl Canggu, Look for sign to Echo Beach when you get close to Canggu), ☎ +62 361 7474604, . This delightful restaurant right on Echo Beach is an economical place to have a couple of drinks, a great seafood meal and watch the surfers and then the sunset. 10-50$.
- Dukuh, Jl Canggu Club 31, Berawa (directly between the Canggu Club and Berawa Beach). Good value restaurant in a convenient location with nice rice field views. Mains around Rp 30,000.
- The Beach House, Jl Pura Batu Mejan (at Echo Beach), ☎ +62 361 7474604, . 7:30AM-midnight. The Beach House is popular with local expats and visitors. Sunset views and a variety of eating areas. Tables spill out onto a beach side area, live music, seafood barbecues. Most mains Rp 25,000-50,000. (8.660244,115.129617)
- Sukerti's Garden Restaurant, Jl Pantai Berawa (next to Legong Keraton Hotel), ☎ +62 361 8550056. 7AM-11PM. A garden restaurant in the Pantai Berawa Area close to the surf spot. Western and Asian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Free WiFi facility, surfer shower and a garden. From Rp 20,000.
- Sol Beach Cafe, Jl Pura Batu Mejan, ☎ +62 361 7453897 ([email protected]), . 8AM-9:30PM. Beachside cafe offering local food plus decent pizzas and burgers.
There is no real bar culture in Canggu, but the trendy designer bars of Seminyak are only a 20 to 25 minute drive away.
- Oazia Spavodka Bar & Kitchen, Jalan Sahadewa, Br. Anyar | Banjar Anyar, Canggu, ☎ +620361 800 888 7, . A great combination of beautiful food, live music, DJ's and especially the cocktails, which are made on a whole new level of taste. This is unique combination of bar, restaurant, lounge with an outstanding view to the open kitchen behind floor to ceiling glass wall. 20-50$.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under US$50
|| Over US$130
There are a variety of small hotels and bungalow collections in this area. The most prevalent form of travel accommodation though is a seemingly never ending supply of private villas.
- eHomestay SURF Nest (Surfcamp Canggu), Jalan Pantai Pererenan (400 meters from surf break), ☎ +62 87885 340 344, . A UNIQUE airy WOODEN HUT with reed thatching roof. DORM room type of the hostel/surf camp, where you can interact with locals and fellow travelers. Super short WALK to CANGGU main SURF spot, Pererenan BEACH with 5 different surf points. Surrounds by mesmerizing rice paddy fields where you can say hi to cows. $16 / Rp 150.000.
- Mia House Canggu Daily Monthly Rental, Jalan Dugul 1, Banjar Babakan, Indonesia, ☎ +62 821 45066 445, . 3 bedrooms Bali Style House, fullly furnished + maid, lush tropical garden, can be rented 1 bedroom or the whole 3 bedrooms house. From US$50.
- The Chill House, Jl Kubu Manyar 22, ☎ +62 813 53376872, . Surf retreat. Weekly packages include meals and accommodation. Surfing lessons, yoga, massages and temple trips can all be added to your package. From US$50.
- eHomestay Canggu, Jl Pantai Pererenan (300 m from Pererenan Beach), ☎ +62 87885 340 344, . The only homestay with sea view and in front of rice paddy field. 1 min walk to the surf beach at Pererenan Canggu from $26 / Rp 250,000.
- The Raja Ombak Surfers Resort (Stormrider-Surfcamp Bali), Jl Subak Pangi, Pererenan (""phone="+62), . A surfers resort. Weekly packages include breakfast, accommodation and surf-guiding. Yoga, massages and temple trips can be organised. From US$40.
- Unique experience in the ricefields, . Reasonably priced Villa that is perfect for excursions: take a 20 minute walk along the sand from Echo Beach and visit one of Bali's most famous temples, Tanah Lot. Or take a stroll through the village for first-hand experience of traditional Balinese ceremonies and cultures. Wireless internet access and breakfast is included. From US$47.
- Legong Keraton Beach Hotel, ☎ +62 361 730280 ([email protected]), . A long established hotel on Berawa beach (the southern part of greater Canggu). More than a bit run down, but has a good quality spa and restaurant. Offers single room accommodation and beachfront cottages. From US$80.
- Rumah Wayan (Wayan's House), Jl Pantai Batu Bolong 48X/45 (surf area of Canggu), ☎ +62361 4731820 ([email protected]), . checkin: 12PM; checkout: 11AM. Tropical house, arranged in traditional Balinese style of architecture. US$60.
- Voyager Boutique Creative Retreat, Jl Nelayan 300 (about 900 m from the beach), ☎ +62 878 6242 7774, +62 878 6242 7775 ([email protected]). checkin: 1PM; checkout: 11AM. A boutique hotel. US$52.
- Wayan's Guesthouse, Jl Pantai Berawa, Gang Family, No: 04 (about 150 m from the beach), ☎ +62 8123 928 9999, +62 81747 59070 ([email protected]). checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12PM. A guesthouse with a true Balinese family atmosphere. US$40.
- Desa Seni, Jl Kayu Putih 13, Pantai Berawa, ☎ +62 361 8446392, . Each room in this self-styled "village" is situated in an antique house, with a newly refurbished interior. Has a saltwater pool, spa, a restaurant with many organic and vegetarian options, and yoga classes twice daily. From US$150.
- Hotel Tugu Bali, Jl Pantai Batu Bolong, Canggu, ☎ +62 361 731701,, . Beach-side hotel with good service and numerous dining and spa options. This hotel contains many Indonesian antiques and beautiful relics. Worth a visit just for the antiques and restaurant. From about US$300.
- The Grove Villas, Jalan Kelecung Umalas, ([email protected]), . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 12noon. . From US$145-US$355 per night.
- Villa Asmara, Cemagi, . Balinese architecture with modern facilities. Large swimming pool, games room, shared tennis court, 4 bedrooms. Fully staffed villa ideal for families. From US$450.
- Villa Echo Beach, Jl. Batu Mejan, Gg Echo, ☎ +6281386637111 ([email protected]), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12PM. 2, 3 and 4 bedroom private pool villas only 250 m to the beach From US$120.
- Villa Umalas, Jalan Umalas I, Umalas, ([email protected]), . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 12noon. . A 2-bedroom villa from US$155 per villa per night.
- Belle Bali Villas (Bali Canggu Villas), Jl. Raya Canggu gang Bintang (Canggu,Bali), ☎ +62 361 788 6877 ([email protected]), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. From US$130.
- Ametis Villa, Jl Pantai Batu Bolong, ☎ +62 361 773888 ([email protected], fax: +62 361 773800), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. From US$475.
- Anyar Estate, Jl Bumbak Dauh, Umalas (off Jl Bumbak), ☎ +62 361 736559 ([email protected]), . 5 private villas, 2, 3, 4 or 5 bedroom villas each with its own pool, 24 hr security, concierge, and room service. From US$300.
- Villa Maridadi, . 5 bedroom beachfront home between rice fields and the ocean in the traditional village of Cemagi, Fully staffed, 20 m swimming pool, tennis court and games room. From USD 895.
- Nilofaur Villa, . Large private villa built in 2007. Good location. 17 m swimming pool and fully equipped gym. The Buwit River borders the gardens. 5 bedrooms, private pool and garden. Fully staffed including private cook and maids. US$700-1,000.
- Villa Pangi Gita, (turn down Jl Pantai Pererenan, off Jl Raya Canggu), . 3 bedroom villa with traditional-style living and sleeping pavilions, tropical gardens and fish ponds. From US$450.
- Villa Puri Bawana, Jl Raya Semer no 883, Semer, ☎ +62 361 731 074, . 5 bedroom villa, with 30 m swimming pool, 7,000² m of gardens surrounded by rice fields and within walking distance of the beach. Guests have access to the sporting and social facilities at thenearby Canggu Club. from US$1,025.
- Salimett, Jl Raya Semer no 883, Semer (100 m from Berawa beach), . Fully staffed 4 bedroom villa is designed in traditional Bali style with individual antique joglos for each of the rooms. Bar and chill-out area, 20 m private pool, kitchen, dining room for 12, main living room and entertainment room. From US$635.
- Simona Oasis and Spa, . 5 bedroom villa with 1,000² m private spa on a spur of land at the confluence of two rivers. Walking distance from the beach. Fully staffed, car and driver included. From US$925.
- Uma Di Beji, . Accessed via its own 150 m driveway and bridge. 5 bedroom villa in a secluded rice field location. Various buildings, all with traditional Balinese alang-alang (thatched) roofs, frame the gardens and the large suites of the house. The mature garden and numerous water features lead down to a large lava rock swimming pool. US$850-1,250.
- Villa Kavya, (next to the Canggu Club), ☎ +62 361 754344, . Modern architecture meets traditional Balinese culture in this villa. 4 bedrooms, a TV room, pool and lush garden. Comes fully staffed and includes cook and guards. US$600.
- Villa Mako, . 3 bedroom retreat with swimming pool and large garden. The single-storey villa is neo-colonial in style, similar to the Dutch guesthouses in Java, characterised by louvred shutters, old teak doors and high wooden ceilings built of old timbers. The villa is fully staffed and has a private swimming pool. US$370-490.
- Villa Menari, Jl Brick lane (just off Jl Bumbak), ☎ +62 361 7447643 ([email protected]), . A private villa in the rice paddies. The villa comes with car and driver and personal chef. From US$400..
- Villa Ira Bali, (in the Pantai Berawa Estate), . 5 bedrooms villa. Sunset views over the Indian Ocean. From US$1,200.
- Villa Sungai Tinggi, (beachfront, Jl Pererenan), . 4 bedroom villa (with two studies convertible into extra bedrooms), 100 m of private beach frontage, lush tropical landscape and bordering rice fields. Fully staffed, 18 m swimming pool. The villa combines traditional materials with local artifacts. From US$875.
- 1BR traditional wooden villa, . The century-old Gladak House oozes romance and history. Once the home of a nobleman, the traditional teakwood building was disassembled and transported from a small town in central Java. Receive pampering treatments with exclusive access to the spa. It is perfect for an authentic and magical Bali experience. From US$250.
- The bright lights, shopping centres and nightlife of Seminyak are just 25 minutes away.
- The temple of Tanah Lot, famed for its sunsets, and the Nirwana golf course is 20 minutes away by car.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!