Calangute is a town on the northern coast of Goa. It is among the most popular tourist destinations in Goa. Calangute is located 13 km from Panaji and 8 km from Mapusa.
Calangute is well connected to other parts of Goa by road, and the roads are in fairly good condition.
The nearest railway station is at Thivim, and taxi from there takes about 20 minutes and costs around Rs.300. Other railway stations are at Margao and Vasco.
Frequent state buses go to and from other parts of Goa, but if you're traveling a longer distance, you need to change buses (for example, from the airport you should need three buses to get to Calangute). A bus from Panaji costs Rs.10-15 depending on the route the bus takes.
Prepaid taxi from the outside counter on the airport costs Rs.650, while discussing the price directly with the driver should result into cheaper price.
Calangute is a quite small area, and you can easily walk your way through it. Two-wheelers and cars are naturally available for hire, and getting a taxi or an auto rickshaw is easy.
There aren't any actual sights in Calangute.
- Relax at the beach. The beach reaches from Candolim to Baga. Known also as the Queen of Beaches, although is rather crowded nowadays. Unfortunately it has also been reported to be a place where women risk to be harrassed. The sand is quite full of beds for sunbathing. These are free at least if you buy something from the beach shack, but expect a lot of salesmen. Beggars are not common.
- If you go from the center of the town to the beach, you will find a massive amount of water sports operators; they are cheap and fun but their safety is very doubtful due to the large number of jetskis operating in the breaking waves. At this part of the beach there are no beach shacks.
- Hire a bike or scooty for about Rs.150-200 per day and roam around other nearby beaches like Baga, Candolim, Anjuna. You can also ride straight upto Aguada Fort. Make sure to fill your vehicle's tank before you start off the journey. Fuels are sold by many roadside shops at about Rs.90 per liter.
The coastline is nearly full of beach shacks that offer food as well. For better cuisine you can choose from numerous (tourist) restaurants that are found from the main roads. Food is somewhat expensive by Indian standards, but cheap by Western ones - an Indian curry with rice is around Rs.160 in most places and should be enough to feed most.
- Oriental - A family run Thai-European Restaurant. Ph. 9822121549. Expect authentic Royal Thai and selected European Cuisine – specialized in tenderloin fillet steaks - better "Little Chateaubriands" -. Location: Calangute Holiday Street, behind Kerkar Art Complex, befor Little Italy.(Former Roma)
- Tibetan Kitchen - Great place for Chinese & Tibetan dishes, very authentic and good environment though you need to walk from main road for about 20 meters through a small lane.
- Bella Ciao - The Italian Restaurant at La Calypso Hotels, Saunta Vaddo, Calangute-Baga road, Goa - 403516 - Phone: 0832 2275821 Italian
- Mirabai Goan Village, off Baga Road. Phone: 98 22176808- The best! Authentic Goan food, excellent sea food, charming knowledgeable owner.
- Souza Lobo - Its on the beach, you won't miss it. King Fish and Seafood are excellent.
- After Seven, on the border of Candolim-Calangute. Telephone 91-832-227957. Started by Leo, who speaks 4 languages and has travelled the world with the reputed Taj Group of Hotels, this restaurant has been around for 9 years. The restaurant was formerly known as After Eight Restaurant, till Nestle decided that the restaurant was so good that it would prove competition to their mints, asked Leo to change the name, which he did in 2005.
- Casa Andre's
- Bob's Inn - on the main road from Calangute to Candolim.
- Mooncrest on the Waves
- Electric Cats - An wonderful place for authentic seafood & cocktails.
- Temptation Shack, Calangute Beach. Friendly and welcoming shack serving excellent food with great service. Take them up on the offer of a barbecue and try the tiger prawns and calamare - amazing.
Take any road going towards the beach from the main road and find a bunch of places to sleep as you approach the beach. If you choose a smaller road you're likely to find cheaper places. Taxi drivers will be happy to take you to a place run by their friends / people who pay commission, but you need be very strict with your price limit as they tend to take you to a more expensive place.
- Lotus Resort Goa, Beach Road Via Maria Hall, Vaswaddo, Benaulim, Salcete (close to Colva Beach), ☎ 0832-2771175, . checkin: noon; checkout: 11:30AM. 3,000.
- Hotel Seagull (Hotel Seagull Calangute Goa), Holiday Street, ☎ 0091 832 –2275534, . checkin: 9:00; checkout: 09:00. Sea Gull is a lovely 3-Star hotel situated near the border of Calangute towards Candolim, very close to Calangute beach in North Goa. It has been specifically designed to a high standard keeping comfort and luxury as an utmost priority. It has a lively restaurant which is extremely popular and well known for many years. LIVE music is another highlight of Hotel Seagull.
- Hotel Villa Theresa (Hotel Villa Theresa Calangute Goa), Umta Vaddo, Calangute-Goa, ☎ 91 9421242808, . checkin: 09:00; checkout: 09:00. Villa Theresa is a family run hotel situated at Umta Vaddo, close to Calangute beach, just about a 2 minutes walk from the shore in a peaceful pocket of Calangute and away from the noise of the busy village.
- Ondas Do Mar Beach Resort, Gaurovaddo, Calangute 403516, India (Ask anyone to take you to Claangut, spot the Blue note cafe and take a left if it's infront of you , go straight, cross the church in the center of the road and then ask anyone where holiday street is - Enter holiday street and keep looking to your right for the hotel to showw up ...). This hotel is just a few minutes walk from the beach , Has 2 swimming pools and has two campuses. The people are wonderful and Anthony and Benedicta - the Owners are just gr8 .. It's like our own home in goa and whenever we go there, they always make sure that we get the same room . It's very clean and cozy and they have a restraunt where you can get all your great meals.
- gabriels guest house goa (gabriels guest house goa), gaura vaddo,calangute,goa (near kamat holiday homes,opposite tarcar wine shop.), ☎ 0832 2279486, . checkin: 10:00am; checkout: 10:00am. gabriel guest house is a family run hotel very close to Calangute beach, just 2 minutes walk and also walking distance to shoping area and all tourist hot spots,located in quite area and in very peacefull atmosphere. 400.
- DONA JULIA RESORT, holiday street, gauravaddo, calangute, .
- Dias Holiday Homes, The Lagoon, Calangute, Goa (1.5 km from Calangute beach.), ☎ +919825947394, . e-mail:[email protected] Fully furnished apartments (TV, Refrigerator, AC, Geyser, Bed, Cupboards, Chairs, Cooking Gas, Utensils, etc.) with car parking and swimming pool available on rent (daily/monthly/yearly). Please call +919825947394 or e-mail: [email protected] for more details.
- '''Strassh guest house''', near Calangute beach,candolim (opp health centre), ☎ 09320564040,9322825777, . checkin: 12.00noon; checkout: 12.30pm. Its one of the cheapest budget guest house in north goa.It provides 24 hour service and privacy of a home away from home. Just 5 min walk from calangute beach. With all facilities, tariff start from Rs 900/-with Ac.email:[email protected]