| || |
| || |
Revision as of 04:24, 4 July 2009
Brooks is a small town in the Alberta Badlands region of Alberta, Canada. It's a good jumping-off point for Dinosaur Provincial Park (see below).
Brooks is located on the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1). The easiest way to get in is by car along this highway. It is 188km (about 2 hours by car) east of Calgary.
You will need a car to get around. Highway 876 lies north-east of town, running north from Highway 1 to Patricia. Avoid it, due to heavy truck traffic.
- Dinosaur Provincial Park, (North on Highway 873 for 11.3km, Right (east) on Highway 544 for 16.3km, left (north) onto Highway 876 for 3.3km, right and follow road for 14.5km to the visitors centre.), ☎ +1 (403) 378-4342 (fax: +1 (403) 378-4247), . Located some 48km to the north-east of Brooks, this park is on the UNESCO World Heritage List for its rich collection of dinosaur fossils and its interesting Badlands landscapes. During May-October there are interpretive tours of fossil sites and other interesting destinations. Camping available. Interpretive tours $8/adult, $6/child; camping $20-26/night.
- Brooks Aqueduct, Highway 875 (take Hwy 1 east out of town and then head south on Hwy 875), ☎ +1 403 362-4451, . 10AM - 5PM (visitor center, mid-May to Labour Day). Somewhat classical in design, the aqueduct is considered one of the biggest engineering feats in Alberta's history. It's not used now, but at one time it helped irrigate the nearby land and open it up for farming. The aqueduct can be viewed any time for free, there is a small charge to see the interpretive center.
- Kinbrook Island Provincial Park, Highway 873 (follow Hwy 873 south out of town for about 12 km), . Small park set on the shores of Newell Lake. The beach is popular for swimming and the park is a good spot for bird watching. (50.437189,-111.910596)
- The Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, 141km to the northwest, has excellent fossil exhibits including dinosaurs, and is a good companion to Dinosaur Provincial Park. It's a two-hour drive between them, so allow 3 days or more to see them both.
- There is similar Badlands countryside to the south, in the United States.