Bedford-Stuyvesant and Flatbush is in Brooklyn. In addition to the two aforementioned neighborhoods, this travel guide covers Crown Heights, Lefferts Gardens, Brownsville, East Flatbush, and Midwood.
- Brooklyn Children's Museum, 145 Brooklyn Avenue (at St Mark's next to Brower Park; Subway: C train to Kingston-Throop, A train to Nostrand Avenue, or 3 train Kingston Avenue; LIRR: Nostrand Avenue), ☎ +1 718 735-4400, . W-F 11AM-5PM, Sa-Su 10AM-5PM. A highly interactive museum designed specifically for children. $5 per person.
- Jewish Children's Museum, 790 Eastern Parkway (at Kingston; Subway: 3 train to Kingston Avenue), . The Jewish Children's Museum is the largest Jewish-themed children's museum in the United States. It aims for children of all faiths and backgrounds to gain a positive perspective and awareness of the Jewish heritage, fostering tolerance and understanding. The permanent collection features exhibits designed to be both educational and entertaining to children, often employing interactive multimedia. At the miniature golf course on the roof, for example, each hole represents a stage in Jewish life. The museum is in the Chabad-Lubavitch Chasidic community of Crown Heights near the headquarters of the Lubavitch movement. The museum is run by Tzivos Hashem, a Chabad organization dedicated to the education of Jewish children. The museum opened in 2004. In 2005, the museum was among 406 New York City arts and social service institutions to receive part of a $20 million grant from the Carnegie Corporation, which was made possible through a donation by New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg.
- Di Fara's Pizzeria, 1424 Avenue J (at 15th Street; Subway: Q train to Avenue J), ☎ +1 718 258-1367, . W-Su Noon-4:30PM and 6PM-9PM. An old-school pizzeria. Waiting for Dom, the only pizzaiolo in the shop, to painstakingly make your pizza or calzone is worth it. People returning to the neighborhood stop by here to indulge their nostalgia for quality that never wavers. This is not really cheap pizza, but it is very good pizza. Toppings include baby artichokes, porcini when available, and baby eggplant, as well as more usual toppings that are unusually good. Don't let the worn appearance of the shop's exterior fool you. Cash only.
- Saraghina, 435 Halsey Street (at Lewis; Subway: A/C trains to Utica Avenue or C train to Kingston-Throop), ☎ +1 718 574-0010, . M-F 6PM-11PM, Sa-Su Noon-4PM and 6PM-11PM. Located in the heart of Bed-Stuy, Saraghina is a fantastic pizza restaurant offering up freshly baked thin-crust pizzas for $16 or less - and that's for a good sized pie that one person could tuck away with some effort, but which is more easily shared by two. Favorites include the classic margherita and the proscuitto i funghi. Their oven is a true wood-burning brick unit, and their ingredients are fresh and succulent. In addition to pizza, Saraghina offers a menu of traditional Italian fare, including burratina, sautéed artichokes, swordfish carpaccio, and spaghetti with ragù di pesce, to name a few. The beer selection is a bit limited, but there are plenty of wines on the list, and the atmosphere - a deceptively small area converted from a storefront with lots of old wood paneling and hidden back dining room and garden - more than makes up for the brevity of the menu. under $30.
- Akwaaba Mansion (Akwaaba Mansion Inn), 347 MacDonough St. (near Utica and MacDonough), ☎ +1-866-466-3855, . checkin: 2-7pm. Four guest rooms, each uniquely decorated with a cultural theme, private baths (some with Jacuzzis), air conditioning and clock radio/CD player, wireless internet and business center, guest library, TV and game room, personal concierge to arrange tours, restaurant reservations or anything else you may desire. $160-$175.
- LOFTSTEL | loft + hostel (Bedford Avenue), 1094 Bedford Avenue (at Lexington; Subway: G train to Bedford-Nostrand), ☎ +1 347 240-5826, . Free wireless internet. Free satellite TV with HBO. Bunks starting at $25 per night and private rooms start at $49 per night. Popular destination for students and interns. Monthly rates available.
- LOFTSTEL | loft + hostel (Greene Avenue), 580 Greene Avenue (between Marcy and Tompkins, across from Tompkins Park; Subway: G train to Bedford-Nostrand), ☎ +1 347 787-1395, . Free wireless internet. Free satellite TV with HBO. Bunks starting at $25 per night and private rooms start at $49 per night. Popular destination for students and interns. Monthly rates available.
- Rugby Gardens Bed & Breakfast, 317 Rugby Road (E 14th St) (between Beverly and Cortelyou; Subway: Q train to Cortelyou Road), ☎ +1 718 469-2244, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Two night minimum stay. $150.