Brooklyn : Bedford-Stuyvesant and Flatbush
: North America
: United States of America
: New York (state)
: Metro New York
: New York City
: Brooklyn/Bedford-Stuyvesant and Flatbush
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 02:22, 12 December 2009
Bedford-Stuyvesant and Flatbush is in Brooklyn.
- Brooklyn Children's Museum, 145 Brooklyn Avenue (at St Mark's next to Brower Park; Subway: Kingston-Throop C, Nostrand Avenue A, Kingston Avenue 3; LIRR: Nostrand Avenue), ☎ +1 718 735-4400, . W-F 11AM-5PM, Sa-Su 10AM-5PM. A highly interactive museum designed specifically for children. $5 per person.
- Jewish Children's Museum, 790 Eastern Parkway (at Kingston; Subway: Kingston Avenue 3), . The Jewish Children's Museum is the largest Jewish-themed children's museum in the United States. It aims for children of all faiths and backgrounds to gain a positive perspective and awareness of the Jewish heritage, fostering tolerance and understanding. The permanent collection features exhibits designed to be both educational and entertaining to children, often employing interactive multimedia. At the miniature golf course on the roof, for example, each hole represents a stage in Jewish life. The museum is in the Chabad-Lubavitch Chasidic community of Crown Heights near the headquarters of the Lubavitch movement. The museum is run by Tzivos Hashem, a Chabad organization dedicated to the education of Jewish children. The museum opened in 2004. In 2005, the museum was among 406 New York City arts and social service institutions to receive part of a $20 million grant from the Carnegie Corporation, which was made possible through a donation by New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg.
- Di Fara's Pizzeria, 1424 Avenue J (at 15th Street; Subway: Avenue J stop on the Q local train). An old-school pizzeria. Waiting for Dom, the only pizzaiolo in the shop, to painstakingly make your pizza or calzone is worth it. People returning to the neighborhood stop by here to indulge their nostalgia for quality that never wavers. This is not really cheap pizza, but it is very good pizza. Toppings include baby artichokes, porcini when available, and baby eggplant, as well as more usual toppings that are unusually good. Don't let the worn appearance of the shop's exterior fool you.
- LOFTSTEL | loft + hostel (Bedford Avenue), 1094 Bedford Avenue (at Lexington; Subway: Bedford-Nostrand G), ☎ +1 347 240-5826, . Free wireless internet. Free satellite TV with HBO. Bunks starting at $25 per night and private rooms start at $49 per night. Popular destination for students and interns. Monthly rates available.
- LOFTSTEL | loft + hostel (Greene Avenue), 580 Greene Avenue (between Marcy and Tompkins, across from Tompkins Park; Subway: Bedford-Nostrand G), ☎ +1 347 787-1395, . Free wireless internet. Free satellite TV with HBO. Bunks starting at $25 per night and private rooms start at $49 per night. Popular destination for students and interns. Monthly rates available.
- Rugby Gardens Bed & Breakfast, 317 Rugby Road (E 14th St) (between Beverly and Cortelyou; Subway: Cortelyou Road Q), ☎ +1 718 469-2244, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Two night minimum stay. $150.