Braunlage is a town in the Harz National Park in Southern Lower Saxony.
Braunlage is a town located in the Goslar region of the southern Harz mountains. Records show that Braunlage existed as a small mining community as early as 1250, and expanded slowly over the centuries. One of the oldest buildings still standing today is the Ironworks building from 1658 which is now the Harz Hotel Altes Forsthaus. In the 17th Centure Braunlage gained Market town rights and by the end of the 19th Century, with the development of the Southern Harz Railway line, Lumber and Quarrying became an important economic factor for the region. The granite quarry based on the Wurmberg mountain, the second highest in the Harz, was still in production up until 1974. The Wurmbergseilbahn, or Gondola, completed in 1965, links Braunlage with the Wurmberg covering a length of 2.8Km and rising 400m, the longest in northern Germany. The Gondola was renovated completely in 2001 and operates 6 person cabins for up to 900 persons per hour. Brunlage offers skiiers and tobogganers plentiful sport in the winter months. Braunlage, like many towns in the former border zone, suffered economically from the cancellation of the zone subsidy and the opening of the eastern Harz as competion. In november 2011, as a cost saving measure, the town administration merged with that of St. Andreasberg.*Braunlage Tourist Office, Braunlage Tourismus GmbH Elbingeröder Straße 17, ☎ 05520 93070, .
Braunlage can be reached by road using the B4 from Braunschweig or the B27 linking to the east. There is good parking on the outside of the town, but it does tend to reach capacity quickly, especially in winter during the high season when the weather is good.
Public Busses connect with Braunlage from Bad Harzburg, Bad Sachsa, Sankt Andreasberg and Walkenried.
Braunlage is famous for what it offers in the way of outdoor activities whether it be in summer or winter and as such there is not a spectacular amount of interesting architecture or places of interest in the town itslef. The Kurpark and Kurgartenzentrum, in Dr.-Kurt-Schröder-Prommenade,situated in 14 Hectars of parkland however provides a relaxing place to wind down in after a hard day in the mountains. There are giant sized games for the family to play such as Chess, and the concert hall has a varied series of musical events throughout the season. Details can be found via the Tourist office tel: 05520 93070.
Braunlage's main business is tourism and it specialises in providing the individual and the family with a wide range of primarily outdoor activities. These activites are linked to the Harz Mountains as a whole and in summer it is popular with hikers and is also an excellent location for mountain biking. Its main attraction in winter is all forms of skiing included limited downhill, extensive crosscountry (Langlauf) and toboggoning. The Wurmberg Cable Car provides access to a large number of slopes, trekking routes and sport areas.
In addition to the main range of activities in the local mountains, Braunlage also offers a number of activities in the town itself.
- Ice Skating. The Ice Stadion in the Harzburger Straße offers skateing, Disco skateing, Ice Shooting, Ice Hockey and special activies for Pensioners. Ice Boots and a repair / sharpening service are available. Tel: 05520 2191
- Inline Skating. There is an inline Skating park in the von-Langen Straße. Tel: 05520 930 70
- Childrens' Play Areas. There are childrens' play areas at the town museum (Dr.-Kurt-Schroeder-Promenade) and at the valley station of the Wurmberg Cable Car, and also a small animal zoo at the summit of the Wurmberg mountain.
- Minigolf. There is a minigolf course in the Harzburger Straße next to the Ice Stadion. Tel: 05520 999 477
- Monster Roller Hire. For the ultimate downhill fun for the whole family you can hire these monster rollers from the restaurant 'Gipfelsrümer' at the base of the cable car. Tel: 05520 923277 or go to www.monsterroller.de
- SwinGolf. SwinGolf, a french invention, is similar to Golf, but without the need for a course and specialist equipment. The idea is to hit the light SwinGolf Ball with a special SwinGolf Club over a playing field from 80 to 300 metres and into a hole similar to Golf. This is an ideal sport for the whole family. The course is located at the top Kurpark in Braunlage, Ramsenweg, and info at www.swingolf-braunlage.de
- Swimming Pools. Braunlage has a terrific swimming complex on offer to all visitor with two indoor and a heated outdoor pool. The indoor pools are designed with under water jets, tide waves, waterfalls, massage jets, and a whirlpool. 6 Solaria and a Sun shower (from June to August) are also a part of this complex. Address: Ramsenweg 2. Tel: 05520 2788
- Tennis. There is an indoor Tennis complex at Elbingeröder Str. 33 (reservations tel: 05520 2788) and outdoor courts nearby which may be used for group lessons and individual coaching. Tel: 05520 590 24844
- Bow and Arrow. Learning to use a Bow and Arrow could never be easier in Braunlage, primarily in the summer months. More information tel: 05520 804819
- Cliff Climbing. Experienced cliff guides are avaialbe via the Tourist Office or tel: 05520 804819. The guides can offer training to new as well as experienced climbers.
- GPS Orineteering Ralleys. Supplied with GPS receivers, this sport is designed for family of groups of between 3 to 6 persons with the challenge being to find the hidden clues. The ralleys are organised in different grades of difficulty. Tel: 05520 80 48 19
Many of the restaurants in Braunlage, and certainly the better ones, are hotel restaurants. There is not a great number of places to go and eat, but plenty enough for the short stay visitor.
- Grimbarts, Herzog-Wilhelm-Str. 2, ☎ 94 31 20, . This German Steakhouse comes highly recommended
Braunlage offers an enormous range of hotels and hostelries for the visitor, whether for the short weekend or a longer stay. One of the extra costs to staying overnight is the so called Kurbeitrag or Spa Card. This costs € 2.20 per person per day, and offers a wide range of free entries (for instance to the town's swimming pools) or subsidised entrance to many of the activies in the DO section.
- Hostel Braunlage, Harzburger Str. 22a (located in the centre of Braunlage), ☎ 05520 5060 101. checkin: 15.00 - 23.00; checkout: 07.00 - 11.00. The hostel is situated in the centre of the town just 200m from the Wurmberg Cable Car. The rooms are simply furnished and contain wooden interiors. There is the usual satelite TV connection and WiFi is free. There is a bar, but other facilities are limited to family rooms and a ski storage area. Car parking is free. Children under 4 are free, but one older child or adult is charged €10 per night per person in an extra bed (max one per room). Pets are not allowed, nor are credit cards accepted - only cash. from € 35 per person.
- Hotel Harzidyll, Bodestr. 4b (a short drive north of the town on the hiking rout to the Bodetal reserve.), ☎ 05520 80 46 68. checkin: 14.00 - 17.30; checkout: 08.30 - 10.30. This small hotel with a total of 12 rooms is situated in a quiet side street near the Park Gardens on the main hiking route to the Bodetal Reserve and offers a small garden area. It is a great base for touring the Harz and in addition to free car parking offers a secure bicycle storage area. Wifi is free, but pets are not allowed. from €45 pp.
- Hotel zur Erholung, Lauterberger Straße 10 (found centrally in the town a few minutes walk from the Kurpark), ☎ 05520 1379. checkin: 15.00 - 23.00; checkout: 07.00 - 11.00. The Hotel zur Erholung (literally the hotel for recovery) is a small family run hotel with quiet rooms, a daily breakfast buffet and its own restaurant, the Winkelstube, which specialises in food from the region. There is a large garden for children and a play area, and is close the main hiking trails. All children under 10 stay free of charge and those from 11-14 stay at half price provided they use the spare bed in the room.
- Hapimag Resort Braunlage, Herzog-Wilhelm-Str. 2, 38700 Braunlage (10 minutes walk from the Kurpark in the centre of Braunlage), ☎ 05520 94310. checkin: 15.00 - 18.00; checkout: 08.00-10.30. The Hapimag Resort is a top hotel in Braunlage, designed in the country style with 125 rooms. The hotel offers Sauna, Solarium, a games room and children's play area as well as Billiards and Table Tennis facilities. There is also a small indoor swimming pool and all facilities are inclusive includung WiFi. Appartments are also available from around € 80 PP for a four person room. There is a Hotel Car Park (€ 5 per day) and there are bus connections to the nearby ski slopes of Wurmberg and Sonnenberg, about 10 minutes by car. **<sleep name="Relaxa Hotel Harz Wald" alt="" address="Karl-Röhrig-Str. 5a" directions="situated on the northern side of the town a few minutes from the centre" phone="05520 807 0" url="" checkin="14.00 - 20.00" checkout="untill 11.00" price="From €85 pp" lat="" long="">The relaxa Hotel Harz Wald is part of the relax chain and has 120 rooms situated on the northern side of the town. Its own 'Boulevard' restaurant serves a mixture of local receipes and international cuisine. The hotel offers a wellness and fitness centre, but WiFi connections and parking are all extra. Children under 12 are free, and those from 12-17 are charged €17 per night ina separated bed in the room. Pets will cost extra. from € 116 PP/Night.
- Maritim Berghotel, Am Pfaffenstieg, 38700 Braunlage (Maritime Berghotel lies a short drive outside Braunlage in the forests for the Harz Mountains), ☎ 05520 8050. checkin: 15.00 - 00.00; checkout: 07.00 - 12.00. The Maritim Berghotel is a four star hotel, part of the luxury Maritim chain. It is situated outside Braunlage at the foot of the Wurmberg Mountain, and each room has a balcony with great views of the surrounding landscapte. It offers a wide range of facilities,Tennis Court, Sauna, Fitness Centre, Games Room, Solarium, Spa & Wellness Centre, Massage, Children's Playground, Billiards, Table Tennis, Hiking, Cycling, Indoor Swimming Pool, Outdoor Swimming Pool and the usual range of services you would expect with this standard of hotel. You will have to pay extra for car parking (€ 11 per day) and Internet WiFi costs €15 per 24 hr period. There is the Pfaffenstieg restaurant and an Old English Pub bar area, a night club, and at the weekends a cafe is open on the roof terrace. from € 158 pp for single room.
- Hotel und Residence Hohenzollern Superior, Dr. Barner Str. 10-11, 38700 Braunlage (The hotel is situated just outside Braunlage at the foot of the Wurmberg Mountain.), ☎ 05520 9321 0. checkin: 15.00 - 00.00; checkout: 08.00 - 11.00. This 4 star luxury hotel offers 25 rooms within two separte buildings. All the rooms have wooden floors and a balcony with good views of the surrounding mountains. Facilities include Sauna, Fitness Centre, Spa & Wellness Centre, Massage, Hot Tub, Turkish/Steam Bath, Indoor Swimming Pool. Car parking is free, but there are charges for WiFi connections. There is a Hotel Bar for guests, and the in-house Victoria Louise restaurant offers a mixture of national and international dishes. from € 220 for a single room.