The Blyde River Canyon is a famous site with tourist visiting the Kruger National Park and its surroundings.
Map of the escarpment and canyon
The Blyde River Canyon is the third largest canyon worldwide, after the Grand Canyon (USA) and the Fish River Canyon in Namibia.
It is situated along the Panorama Route and easily accessible from the west of the Kruger National Park and the towns of Sabie and Nelspruit.
If you come from Johannesburg, treat yourself with a drive through Belfast, Dullstroom, Lydenburg and Pilgrim's Rest en route to Graskop. If possible, spend the night in one of the hotels/lodges/camp sites on the escarpment and devote a day to exploring the whole Panorama Route.
The canyon itself. There are waterfalls (Berlin and Lisbon), the Pinnacle, God's Window, Wonderview, Bourkes Luck Potholes (with a fascinating display of the wildlife and geology of the canyon) and several viewpoints, the best-known is The Three Rondavels/Three Sisters.
There are hiking trails in the nature reserve and horse riding is a possibility, but most people seem to drive through it on their way to or from game reserves like Kruger National Park.
Drive the panorama route to see all the geological features such as God's Window, the Pinnacle and the many waterfalls.
- Wildlife Encounters (River Horse), Po Box 658 Hoedspruit 1380 (7 km after the Eastgate ( Hoedspruit ) airport on left hand side), ☎ +27 833825098. Wooden rooms with private bathrooms on a game farm on Timbavati road. Horse rides and open vehicle safaris, cycling and microlighting. ZAR 350.
Many locals sell artwork here, ranging from those famous wooden giraffes to knobbly paper made from elephant dung. Prices are higher at more frequented sites and lower at spots off the main stream.
Pancakes, savoury or sweet, in Graskop or Pilgrim's Rest.
- Aventura Blyde Canyon, (21km from the R36 on the R532), ☎ +27 (0)13 769-8005 ([email protected]), .
- Otter's Den, ☎ +27 (0)15 795-5488 ([email protected]), . The accommodations are simple and charming and it is like being in a treehouse on the river. The food and service were excellent, and to get to the property guests walk across a suspension bridge over the Blyde River. From R590pp.
- Kwa Thabeng Bush Lodge, ☎ +27 (0)12 811-0134 ([email protected]co.za), . Self catering bush camp near Hoedspruit that can sleep up to 8 adults near the Blyde River Canyon mouth. Explore the Blyde River Canyon, the Panorama Route and the Kruger National Park from here. From R165pp.
- Wildlife Encounters, Po box 658 Hoedspruit 1380 (7 km after Eastgate ( Hoedspruit) airport on left hand side), ☎ + 27 833825098. Twin bedded wooden rooms with private ablutions on game farm. Horse rides, open vehicle safaris, cycling and microlighting over the bush. R350 DBB.