| || |
A flight from Kathmandu takes 35 minutes, and
costs about $ 200 for foreigners and $115 for nationals on Domestic Airlines.160R airport tax applies for all domestic flights. |+|
A flight from Kathmandu takes 35 minutes, and about $for foreigners and $115 for nationals on Domestic Airlines. 160R airport tax applies for all domestic flights.
| || |
Revision as of 12:22, 14 November 2010
Biratnagar is a city in Morang district, eastern Nepal.
With a population of nearly 170,000, Biratnagar in the second largest city in Nepal, and it is located near the Terai on the south-eastern border with India.
A flight from Kathmandu takes 35 minutes, and return tickets cost about $220 for foreigners and $115 for nationals on Domestic Airlines. 160R airport tax applies for all domestic flights.
Rickshaws are a good option within the city, or walking. Expect to pay about 2 rupees per minute, depending on how many people you are or if you have a lot of cargo. There are no official taxi service, but taxis are easily available at airport, near Mahendra chowk, and from major hotels.
An ATM machine is available in the Siddhartha Bank on the main commercial avenue. There are now a number of ATMs in Biratnagar. Take Main street north from Traffic chowk (police station), there is one on right side, then five minutes further north you turn left and find another one.
For groceries your best choice is in the market between Mahendra and Traffic chowk, and for the best one turn south on Main street, pass the cybers and Namaste hotel and you will find a good grocery on the right.
- Unique Fast Food Restaurant on the main commercial avenue (not the one that comes from the airport) has a clean and funny interior, and decent food.
- Adarsh Jalpan Griha, (Near traffic chowk in the centre). Claims to be the oldest restaurant in Biratnagar and is a good option for eating
- Hotel Xenial, Biratnagar, 15, ☎ 977 21 530250, 530251, 538380, 528381 ([email protected]), . - Not the same quality as you will find in Kathmandu for the same price, but comfortable. Between $55 and 130 for foreigners, or 2000R - 4500R for nationals. Accepts Visa. Dial-up internet access available in the room for 180R for 30 minutes. Small swimming pool.
- Ratna hotel. Near the main market area, next to Mahendra Chowk. A reasonable good business hotel. Good food and ok, although run-down, bar. Wireless internet available, but expensive. Rs 600-2000.
- Eastern Star, (south of bus park, take right further down). Basically same standard and prices as Ratna, but no internet and further from the market area, and thus a more quiet location.