Barstow  is a city in the southern desert of the state of California. The city's location at the junction of Interstate 15 and Interstate 40, as well as its position on the old Route 66, make it a frequent pit stop for travelers passing through on their way to more exotic destinations.
Barstow itself does not have commercial airline service. The closest commercial airport is LA/Ontario International Airport (IATA: ONT)  about a 1 hour 14 minute drive south of Barstow on Interstate 15, passing through Victorville en route.
Interstate 40 and Interstate 15, both major cross-country highways, intersect in Barstow. I-15 comes from Southern California to the south and the Las Vegas area to the north. I-40 comes from Northern Arizona. The historic Route 66 (but decommissioned) also passes through.
- Amtrak, 685 North First Avenue, . The Southwest Chief line stops in Barstow. The westbound train stops in Barstow at 3:40AM and the eastbound stops at 10:30PM, so plan accordingly.
Greyhound has a bus station here in Barstow
The downtown area of Barstow is small enough to easily get around by walking.
Main Street, L Street, Rimrock Road, and Montera Road encircle Barstow, while Barstow Road bisects the city.
Barstow is a small town with no traffic problems.
Barstow Area Transit  provides bus serice in the area.
- Mojave River Valley Museum, 270 E Virginia Way, ☎ +1 760-256-5452 ([email protected]), . Daily 11AM-4PM. Free.
- Route 66 Museum, 681 N. First Ave., ☎ +1 760-255-1890 ([email protected], fax: ''+1'' 760-255-6776), . F-Su 11AM-4PM. Route 66 museum and gift shop. Free.
- Western America Railroad Museum, 685 North First Street, ☎ +1 760 256-9276 ([email protected]), . F-Su 11AM-4PM. Housed in the historic 1911 Casa Del Desierto building, the Western America Railway Museum showcases railroad history with indoor and outdoor displays of railroad rolling stock as well as model railroad displays. (34.904762,)
- Skyline Drive-In - As one of the last drive-ins in San Bernardino County, it frequently has packed nights on new movie openings.
- Lenwood Mall One of the largest merchant outlet malls in the country is just South of Barstow along Interstate 15. Dozens and dozens of places to shop for virtually every name brand merchandise one can think of. There are plenty of places to eat for the weary traveler too.
- A Tanger Outlet Mall is right across the street.
- Jenny's Mexican Cuisine, 1231 E. Main St., Ph: (760) 255-1500, Fax: (760) 256-8020. A family run Mexican restaurant located less than a mile from I-15. Good food, and reasonable prices with dinner entrees starting around $6.
- McDonald's Barstow Station If not the largest McDonald's in the world, it is certainly the most unique. Barstow Station is a McDonald's with an ice cream shop, candy store, gas station and the home of several radio stations that broadcast to travelers crossing the Mojave Desert. The most unique aspect of Barstow Station is the eating area. You can dine in old train cars and enjoy the view of travelers passing through this town. There is also a stand inside that sells homemade fudge.
- Lola's Kitchen, 1244 E Main St. Excellent Mexican food located inside the Von's shopping center. Cash only.
- Del Taco, 2871 Lenwood Rd. Opened in 1964, this is one of the first Del Taco (the chain started in Barstow) and has an extensive menu, serving otherwise long discontinued offerings.
- Idle Spurs Steakhouse (Idle Spurs), 690 Hwy 58, ☎ (760) 256-8888, . Situated in a renovated house just outside of the Main St. district, big steaks, full bar, homey atmosphere, music on the weekends. Dinners about $15-30.
- Best Western Desert Villa Inn, 1984 E Main Street, ☎ +1 760-256-1781 (fax: +1 760-256-9265), . $65-130 (Doubles).
- Holiday Inn Express, 1861 West Main Street, ☎ +1 760-256-1300, . $100-110 (Doubles).
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 2700 Lenwood Road, ☎ +1 760-253-9200, . $100-220 (Doubles).
- Motel 6, 150 Yucca Avenue, ☎ +1 760-256-1752 (fax: +1 760-256-9110), . $45-55 (Doubles).
- Rodeway Inn, 1261 East Main Street, ☎ +1 760-256-7581. $40-60 (Doubles).
- Stardust Inn, 901 E Main St, ☎ +1 760-256-7116. $35-60 (Doubles).
- Calico Ghost Town 13 mi. (21 km) east - A family destnation with mines, gunfights, and more. A short train ride gives a brief history of the town and the surrounding desert.
- Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex, ☎ +1 760 255-8688 (contact Karla Warner) ([email protected]), . 35 mi. (65 km) north - Guided tours of the 53 square mile (137 km2) complex housing the massive antennas that NASA uses to communicate with its deep space missions to the planets. All tours must be scheduled in advance. Note that the tour requires entry to the Fort Irwin Army Base so ID is required and vehicles may be searched. Free.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!