Barnaul (Russian: Барнау́л buhr-nuh-OOL) is the capital of Altai Krai.
The Building with spire, one of the city's landmarks
The city was founded in the XVIII century as a center of silver and copper mining, and has a population of over 600,000.
The house of merchants Yakovlev and Polyakov
The foundation year of the city is unknown and is either 1730 or 1739. The name of founding father is Akinfey Demidov, a Russian mine-owner who started copper extraction and melting in the region. Later on his business spread to the gold and silver and the family reached all-Russian scale. The city became a fort and built a dam. This activity was major for centuries to come. Except that, nature and geography explorers never abandoned this Siberian place. Pyotr Petrovich Semyonov-Tyan-Shansky  and Alexander von Humboldt  lead their expeditions across the city.
The travel from Moscow takes 2.5 days and covers 3500km.
- №036В/№036Н Barnaul — Moscow — Barnaul — firmenniy train «Altai»
- №509/№510 Barnaul — Omsk — Adler - Barnaul — from 16 June to 1 September.
- №613/№614 Barnaul — Karasuk — Barnaul.
German Titov airport  is located 17km west from the city center and serves flights from Krasnodar, Moscow, Irkutsk, Anapa, Rostov-on-the-Don, Vladivostok, Saint Petersburg.
Inside the city there are routes of public buses (about 150), marshrutkas, taxis, trams (11) and trolleys (5).
The thoroughfares interconnecting Barnaul with other cities, towns and suburbs are Pavlovsky Highway (Павловский тракт) leading to Novosibirsk, Zmeinogorsky Highway (Змеиногорский тракт) leading to Kazakhstan, Pravoberezhny Highway (Правобережный тракт) to Novosibirsk and Biysk.
The river port may be useful in getting to suburbs or closest villages like Bobrovka that offers country tourism activities.
- Altai museum of regional studies  offers expositions of ethnographical artefacts.
- Museum of literature, art and culture of Altai .
- Altai Museum of Art. Malevich, Kandinsky, Rembrandt.
- 'World of Stones' museum. Address: 5b, Kalinina st.
- Museum of military history. Address: 73, Komsomolsky Pr. Hours: 9.30-17.30 Tu-Sa.
- Museum of Time. Address: 12, Matrosova st. Private collection of 'curiousities' from a mammoth tooth to 300mln years old corrals and Soviet symbols, the visitors can touch with their hands.
- Izumrudny Park (Парк "Изумрудный"), for families with kids.
- Solnechny Veter (Парк "Солнечный ветер").
- Barnaulskaya Krepost (Парк "Барнаульская крепость").
- Lesnaya Skazka (Парк "Лесная сказка").
- House Club (Клуб Хаус), 15, Solnechnaya Polyana. Restaurant, sauna, hooka-lounge, disco floor and bowling.
- Manhattan Pizza (Манхэттен-Пицца), Trade-centers 'Holiday classic' (Холидей классик) or 'City center' (Сити-Центр). A chain of pretty good fast-food resaurants.
- Zapravka (Заправка, гриль-бар), 51a, Kirova st, ☎ +7(3852) 200-100. 12:00 - 2:00. It's a grill bar.
- Pozharka (Пожарка), 49, Chkalova st, ☎ +7 (3852) 63-01-01. Anti-fire grill-bar with a fire-truck inside.
Locally brewed beer: Ворсин, Golfsteiner, Барнаульское, Чешское, Жигулевское .
- Kabak&grill 'Pistols', 44a, Soyuza Respublik st, ([email protected]), . 11:00 – 03:00 Tu-Th, Su; 11:00 – 05:00 Mo,Fr,Sa. 'Wild West' styled restaurant capable to accomodate 250 presons, it has a long bar-stand,a dance-floor and live music at nights. Variety of dishes from American, Mexican, Japanese and Italian cuisines.
- Sibirskaya Korona (Сибирская корона), 116, Sotsialisticheskiy Prospekt; 113, Lenina Prospekt; 20, Lenina st, . 09:00–24:00. Beer restaurant with Russia-brewed beer 'Sibirskaya Korona' and traditional food.
- English Pub, 57a, Chkalova st, ([email protected]). 13.00 - 3.00. Wooden tables and chairs, British music, darts and flags
- Il Patio, 20, Lenina st. 12:00–24:00. Italian cuisine
- Alexander House (Александр Хаус), 4,Profinterna st, ☎ +7(3852) 619-300 ([email protected]). 26 rooms ranging from luxurious to economy classes
- Hotel Altai (Гостиница Алтай), 24, Prospekt Lenina, ☎ +7(3852) 23-92-47.
- Hotel Barnaul (Гостиница Барнаул), 135,Krasnoarmeiskiy Prospekt, ☎ +7(3852) 62-62-22, . Includes a business centre with free internet access. If you check in at a ridiculous hour (i.e. 2 in the morning) the rest of the night isn't what you've payed for; rather, the following night is, making it effectively a two-for-one deal if you land in town late.
- Hotel Berezka (Березка), 260, Pavlovsky trakt, ([email protected]), . Located 26km off the city, the hotel has 7 rooms, a swimming pool and a sauna
- Hotel Kolos (Колос), 25, Molodezhnaya st, ☎ +7(3852) 62-40-48.
- Hotel Sibir (Гостиница Сибирь), 116, Sotsialistichesky Prospekt, ☎ +7(3852) 62-42-00, 62-42-22 ([email protected]), .
- Hotel Laletin (Гостиница Лалетин), 34,Malo-Tobolskaya st, ☎ (3852) 38-00-21, 63-54-21 ([email protected]).
- Yellow submarine, 72, Krasnoarmeisky pereoulok. 400RUB. It's located above Hotel Tourist on the top floor. Kitchen included. Well-kept showers and toilets in the corridor..
Start walking along Sotstialistichesky Prospekt and pay attention to the Drama Theater and further on to the Pedagogical Academy, in a small square of which there is a monument to Unhappy Lover waiting on the bench.
When arriving to the Victory square (Ploschad Pobedy) find the sculpture Movie is filmed. Go on to Stroiteley Prospekt. Here at the Library sits a bronze cat. Going ahead you'll come to the October sq. (Ploschad Oktyabrya), the site for the Buiding with spire. Turn to Prospekt Lenina ascending to ther River Port with a number of nice houses alongside. The port plaza musters monuments to renown citizens and white Hollywood-styled letters on the bank.
The road to Mongolia aka Chuysky Highway starts from Novosibirsk and goes south to Biysk and Altai Republic.