Discussion on defining district borders for Barcelona is in progress. If you know the city pretty well, please share your opinion on the talk page.
A typical avenue in Eixample
The Eixample is the quarter designed during the middle of the 19th century by Ildefons Cerdà, expanding the medieval city of Barcelona into space left empty for defense outside the citywalls. It's an enormous field of rectangular blocks in an continuously repeating layout, with the constant thread of getting lost (at least for those used to european cities. Eixample contains most of the modernist buildings, including La Pedrera, Casa Batlló and La Sagrada Família. A very interesting example for planned urban development and subsequent re-planing and restructuring.
Get in my pants
- Driving a car in Barcelona/Eixample is quite easy, though you may find difficulties to find a decent parking place in peak hours. Note that there are two zones for paid parking and prices varies depending on demand. (Green Zone, 1.08-2.42 eur/hr)
- Sagrada Família Designed by renowned architect Antonio Gaudi, this remarkable landmark remains Barcelona's most famous unfinished church, having been started in 1882. It is one of Gaudi's most impressive works and can be described as warped Gothic. The rippling contours of the stone facade make it look as though Sagrada Familia is melting in the sun, while the towers are topped with brightly-colored mosaics which look like bowls of fruit. Definitely worth a visit.
- L'Illa de la discòrdia:
- Casa Batllo, Passeig de Gracia 43 (corner of Correr de Provenca), . 9:00 - 20:00. Another Gaudi masterpiece along the same avenue as La Pedrera. Open to the public. Not one straight line nor right angles appear anywhere in the house.
- Casa Amatller. Passeig de Gràcia 41. By Josep Puig i Cadafalch
- Casa Lleó-Morera. Passeig de Gràcia 35. By Lluís Domènech i Montaner
- La Pedrera, Passeig de Gracia 92, Also known as Casa Mila. Another one of Gaudi's masterpieces, there is not one straight edge on the exterior and the structure is one of Gaudi’s most eccentric and enticing architectural creations. Tours of the interior and the incredible roof structures are available. Great views of the tall buildings (especially La Sagrada Familia) from the roof.
- Hospital de Sant Pau (Saint Paul's Hospital), . Working hospital which is at the same time an architectural masterpiece open for visitors. Although some buildings are being renovated and wards are being moved to a new building of Nou Hospital, it still does not affect the experience. One of "small hidden features" is a network of underground passages where small carriages can be seen, you can get there near WCs on a central square, between Banc de Sang and Quiròfans.
- Hotel Majestic Passeig Gràcia 68, +34 934 881 717, . Enjoy city views from the rooftop. Just enter the elevator right from the lobby, and head up to the top floor.
- Fundació Antoni Tàpies, . C/d'Aragó, 255. Created in 1984 by the artist Antoni Tàpies to promote the study and knowledge of modern and contemporary art.
- Madrid-Barcelona, C/Aragó 282 (50m from Passeig de Gràcia), ☎ +34 93 215 70 27. So named because it was formerly a traveler's bar when the trains used to pass in front of it. This is a very convenient restaurant for three reasons: It's very close toLa Pedrera and the other monuments in Passeig de Gràcia, it serves good and quite typical food in a place with history, and the prices are very moderate for the zone where is located. Some dishes are fried things, such as pescadito frito. Large servings of seafood (mussles, snails); the main course with chicken looks promising. Mains generally €7-14, no menu del dia.
- Lactuca, C/Provenza 427 (right next to Sagrada Familia), . All-you-can eat self-service restaurant offering a great salad bar, daily soups, mediocre pastas and pizzas, dessert and coffee for a flat price. You can also do take-away for a few euros per box. Weekday lunch €8.50, dinner or weekend lunch €10.30.
- Lactuca Restaurant - Near Sagrada Familia on the Carrer de Provenca 427 (across from the church, and next to the McDonald's) there is a buffet style self service restaurant with large windows facing the Cathedral. You get a dinner (unlimited snacks, main dishes, drinks, tea/coffee, deserts) for €10.70 (weekday lunch €8.95) and credit cards are accepted. Lactuca has other locations in Barcelona - Rambla Catalunya 8, Ronda Sant Pere 17, Diagonal 549, Rosello 147.
A similar self service restaurant chain called Fresc Co has many outlets around the city.
- La Periñaca, C/ Diputació 131, ☎ +34 93-4513685 (""fax=""). Local joint serving up basic but tasty Spanish grub in low-key surroundings. The daily menus have a choice of options and include a starter, a main, a dessert, bread and half a bottle of wine. Lunch/dinner €8/9.
- Qu Qu, Passeig de Gracia 24, ☎ 93 317 4512, . 8:30 am - 1:30 am. Full name is Quasi Queviures. Good tapas bar with available deli-style take-out/take-away. Individual items are inexpensive, but you don't get much for your money. € 3-9.
- There is a very nice ice cream, waffles and pancake shop located in the square surrounding La Sagrada Família. It serves freshly made products at a very reasonable price and looks directly at the masterpiece.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:
|| Up to €10
|| €10 - €25
|| €25 and up
- El Ùltimo Agave - Authentic Mexican restaurant. Aragó 193
- El Glop dela Rambla, Rambla de Catalunya, 65, . Excellent Catalan meals at a price within most budgets. Allow about €20 per person, although you could get out of there for half of that if you let the price dictate your choice of dishes. See chain review in the Eat section of Barcelona.
- Gaya Cosmopolitan Lounge Restaurant C/Compte Borrell, 122 just above Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, . Original decor. Excellent food at a very reasonable price. Fridays and Saturdays they have chillout sessions with live DJ.
- ba-ba-reeba, Passeig de Gràcia, 28 (Between Gran Via and Diputació), ☎ 93 302 21 29, . Cosy and comfortable restaurant & tapas bar along the main avenue. € 10-25.
- Cocoon Lounge Restaurant - C/Londres, 87/. Always packed, the Cocoon offers superbly inventive courses that impress in an ambient decor. Also a great place to have a drink. Awesome ambience, soft music, perfect for a cocktail or a smoothie.
- Drolma at Hotel Majestic is one of the best places to eat, but is very expensive.
- Moo- C/Rosselló 265. Renowed Catalan chef Joan Roca serves up tasty treats such as sea bass with lemongrass or a delicious suckling pig.
Eixample is the nightlife area of Barcelona. The famous zone Gayxample, around C/Balmes and C/Diputació has many gay bars and funky boutiques.
- Arena Choose from three floors of dancing and don't stop dancing until the lights come on.
- Smooth, Carrer Enrique Granados 73, . Upscale lounge style winebar located in central Eixample, offering a refreshing alternative to the usual wooden tables and dingy atmosphere. The focus is definitely on wine with a full and interesting range both from Spain and abroad, but also a light modern menu of small plates help you through the second bottle as you sit listening to laid back lounge tunes. Four table terrace on the traffic restricted street closes at midnight, but the bar is open to 1:30am (2:30am on Sat). Innovative in its day, the decor is getting slightly shabby but the central concept remains sound. Service can be the first to go if busy so grab a sandwich before if you're going on a Friday!
- Sweet Cafe, Carrer Casanova 75, . The trendiest bar of the Gaixample, the gay area, its red decor and lights and electropop music makes it unmissable. Mostly gay, but everybody is welcome. On Thursdays, pop sessions with guest DJs. (Tuesday-Saturday 10:30PM-3AM). Monthly Bollywood parties on the 2nd Sunday of the month.
L'Eixample is the place where most of the city's mid-range and top-end hotels are located. This quarter is very well connected with the rest of the city, although if you go by car it's impossible to park in the street.
- Hostal Residencia Australia, Ronda de la Universitat 11, 08007 , 4º1ª, ☎ +34 93 317 41 77 ([email protected]), . Absolute city center, 100 m away from the ramblas, small cosy and chilled out. Run by a jazz musician, a local politician and an Australian, they have been around for 30 years taking care of guests. Good rooms, all the usual goodies, good price, really ideal for couples, creative hearts and all those who want to get a feel of the creative edge of Barcelona in terms of Cuisine, Art, Music , Theatre, Dance. They love the city and have our own travel guide to show you around. The city is made up of cement buldings , what makes it tick are it´s people. This hostal does a lot of ticking . From €22 euros pp. .
- Urbany Hostel Barcelona, Av Meridiana 97, ☎ +34 93 2458414 ([email protected]), . It's located in the Sant Marti district, but close to the eastern border of the Eixample. Brand new Hostel, opened since July 2008. Twins, 4/6/8 person dorms - en-suite bathroms, fitness club and swimming pool, breakfast included, security lockers, wifi throughout the building, common room with cheap bar. From €12 up to €35 per person.
- Centric Point Hostel, Passeig de Gracia 33, ☎ +34 93 231 2045 ([email protected]), . Opened in 2006. Doubles, twins and family roooms, quads, and 6/8/10 person dorms - all with en-suite bathrooms except the 10 person dorms. Kitchen facilities, common room with bar, free Internet, free Wi-Fi, and free breakfast. Two steps from Plaça Catalunya and Les Ramblas. From €14 for a dorm bed.
- Pere Tarrés Youth Hostel . A hostel located near the top of Diagonal. It is very safe and good fun, offering a restaurant, bar, tv area, ping pong tables, kitchen, free internet, and sheets and breakfast included in the price. Be sure to book online; there are often good deals on the hostel's web site.
- Hostal Centric Barcelona, Calle Casanova 13, ☎ +34 93 426 75 73 ([email protected], fax: +34 93 425 03 47), . Located in the center of Barcelona, just minutes from the Ramblas and the main tourist attractions, all of Barcelona is practically on your doorstep. Common room, free Wi-Fi internet, rooms with air-conditioning, heating and T.V. From €23.
- Hostel Barcelona Sant Jordi Alberg, . Part of local chain of hostels that operates five hostels in Barcelona. Offers full equiped kitchen, common room with DVD, books, cable TV, guitar and couches, computers with 24 hours free internet access, free lockers and storage room, laundry facilities, towels rentals and public phone. From €23.
- Hotel Soho Barcelona, Gran Via, 545, ☎ +34 93 552 96 10, . A design hotel build in 2006. Offers 54 modern and spacious rooms and a rooftop deck with pool. Free Wi-Fi for all guests.
- B-Hotel, Gran Via, 389, ☎ +34 93 552 95 00, . A modern urban hotel by prestigious architect Alfredo Arribas. On the 8th floor you can find the endless-pool with views over Plaza Espanya and Montjuic hill. Free Wi-Fi for all guests.
- Hotel Granvia, Granvia 642, ☎ +34 931 846 732, . Built in 1870 as a palace for the Serra-Chopitea family, the building that hosts the Granvía Hotel was converted into a hotel in 1935. Today it still stores countless pieces and works of art from the 19th century, making it at once a distinguished, elegant and unique hotel. Free Wi-Fi for all guests.
- Hotel Villa Emilia, Calábria 115-117, 08015, ☎ +34 93 2525285 ([email protected]), . A modern boutique hotel, built in 2006. The hotel is also home to the popular Zinc bar.
- 987 Barcelona Hotel, c/Mallorca 288, Tel:(+34) 93 476 33 94,call us free skype: reservations987barcelona, [http//www.987barcelonahotel.com] New modern design hotel, free Wi-fi. Just a few minutes walking distance from Pedreda, Passeig de Gracia and main touristic sites.
- NH Constanza, C/ Deu i Mata, 69-99, +34.93.2811500 . A recently built hotel, designed by the world-renown architect Rafael Moneo. Located at the Avenida Diagonal/Numancia axies, Barcelona's commercial and financial centre.
- Hotel del Comte, Diputació, 142-148 (50m from L1 Urgell, Autobus), ☎ +34-902393930, . 1 km from La Rambla. Renovated in 2007 and now boasts super-slick rooms with glass and marble bathrooms, flat panel TVs, free Wi-Fi. Problems with 3rd-party bookings reported, so book directly. From €80.
- Best Western Premier Hotel Regina Bergara 2-4. Located next to Plaza Cataluña. About €100 per night for a double room with bath and breakfast.
- Expo Hotel Barcelona, +34 93 600 30 00, . 425 wifi-equipped rooms, near Sants Central Station and Fira (Expo). €58-180.
- Granados 83, Enric Granados 83, Barcelona 08008, +34 902 244 246 . Set in a 19th century hospital, it has been converted into a Nouveau Art Decó styled hotel. Its structure of oxidised iron is reminiscent of New York's Soho old loft, and it stands in contrast with the stone and glass façade and the elegant, minimalist zen styled interiors.
- HCC Covadonga, Avda Diagnal 596, tel. (+34 93) 2095511 . Recently renovated. 2 km to Barcelona City Centre and only 1 km from Sants Rail Station.
- Hotel Condado, C/ Aribau 201, ES-8021, Tel (+34) 932002311, . A 3* hotel located at the business and shopping hub of Barcelona's Avinguda Diagonal.
- Hotel Gran Via, Gran Via Corts Catalanes 642, Tel. (+34) 933 181 900. Very central, and originally a palace, the public spaces of the hotel live up to that history. The rooms are large, but otherwise relatively modest. About €80 per night for a double room with bath.
- Hotel Gran Torre Catalunya, Avda. Roma, 2-4, Tel (34) 93 600 69 99. Next to Sants Central Station. Restaurant on the 23rd floor, spa, gym. €100.
- Hotel Silken Concordia, Avenida Paralelo 115. This is a very nice hotel that is located on a major street in Barcelona. The metro station "Poble Sec" is right across from the hotel. If you prefer to walk you can reach "La Rambla" and all the major atrractions in downtown Barcelona in just 15 minutes. The rooms are spacious, the furniture is almost like new, and the staff are quite friendly. The price is worth it: 90 Euros per night for a double.
- Hotel Omm, Rosselló 265, ☎ (34) 93 445 40 00 ([email protected], fax: (34) 93 445 40 04), . Located in Barcelona's fashionable Passeig de Gràcia district, featuring elegant rooms with adaptable lighting. Award-winning haute cuisine restaurant.
- Hotel Princesa Sofia Gran Hotel, (+34) 93 508 10 00. Located in the heart of the financial and commercial centre of Barcelona. Steeped in established tradition and a dedication to service. Quality, elegance and with an added touch of class. Private Health Spa and Haute Cuisine restaurant. Rates from 160€ - 700€ per night.