[[Image:MargaretToddDock.jpg|right|thumb|200px|Margaret Todd Dock at Sunset]]
[[Image:MargaretToddDock.jpg|right|thumb|200px|Margaret Todd Dock at Sunset]]
| || |
'''Bar Harbor''' [http://www.barharborinfo.com/] is a village on [[Mount Desert Island]] in [[Hancock County (Maine)|Hancock County]] in the Down East area of [[Maine]], a state of the [[United States of America]].
'''Bar Harbor''' [http://www.barharborinfo.com/] is a village on [[Mount Desert Island]] in [[Hancock County (Maine)|Hancock County]] in the Down Eastarea of [[Maine]], a state of the [[United States of America]].
| || |
Revision as of 06:26, 31 March 2007
Margaret Todd Dock at Sunset
Bar Harbor  is a village on Mount Desert Island in Hancock County in the Down East area of Maine, a state of the United States of America.
- 30 mins from the city of Ellsworth via Route 3.
- 45 mins - 1 hour from Bangor, Maine, depending on traffic. Take I-395 and Route 1A to Ellsworth. From Ellsworth continue on Route 3 to Bar Harbor.
- 3.5 hours from Portland, Maine. Take I-95 to exit 182, I-395 and follow the directions from Bangor. Alternatively, take I-95 to Route 3, exit 113, just north of Augusta, and follow Route 3 east to Belfast, and then to Ellsworth and Bar Harbor.
- 5 hours from North Chelmsford, Massachusetts
- 5 hours from Boston, Massachusetts
- 7 hours from Burlington, Vermont. Take I-89 South to Montpelier, get on Route 2 West and follow until Newport, Maine. Get on I-95 North and take exit 185 to the "Acadia Region". Follow the signs along Route 1 to Bar Harbor.
- 7 hours from Quebec, Canada
There is a small Vermont Transit Bus Line terminal on Main Street, with service from Boston. Bus service to and from Boston is available only in the summer. During the remainder of the year there is bus service to Bangor, 74km/46 miles from Bar Harbor.
- The Cat, 121 Eden Street, Phone: +1 207 288-3395, Fax: +1 207 288-9521, . (Catamaran), "North America's fastest car ferry" is located on Route 3 about 1 mile out of town. The ferry provides service to and from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia and Portland between mid May and mid October.
The Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport is somewhat of a misnomer, actually located in Trenton on the outskirts of Ellsworth, on the mainland adjacent to Mount Desert Island. There is scheduled air service to Boston and New York. During the summer there is free bus service between the airport and Bar Harbor, which takes about 15 minutes,depending on the amount of traffic. Taxi service is also available.
Depending on the time of year you find yourself in town, and your intended goals, your visit may necessitate different modes of transportation. With many of the nearly 3 million annual visitors arriving in the summer months, the vehicle traffic may be something you would want to avoid. Bar Harbor is much, much quieter between October and April.
- The central area of Bar Harbor is quite small and easily explored by foot. This includes the shopping and eating establishments on Main St. and Cottage St., as well as the activities at the town pier.
- Bicycles can be rented in town and may be put on the front of the buses.
- Island Explorer buses, (207) 667-5796, . With just a bit of planning ahead on where you would like to see, this increasing fleet clean, propane powered buses would be a great decision for those who envision leaving their car at the hotel and letting someone else do the driving.
- Bar Harbor Historical Society, 33 Ledgelawn Ave, Phone: +1 207 288-3807 or +1 207 288-0000, . Open M-Sa 1-4PM, June-October, open by appointment in the winter. Closed Su and holidays. Free admission.
- Abbe Museum, 26 Mount Desert St, +1 207 288-3519, . Open to school groups and programs by appointment in the winter, shop and galleries open for the public May 25.
- Village Green. Right in the heart of town, the well-groomed park is a great place to take a break from walking, shopping, etc. Toss a frisbee, enjoy your ice cream, read a book, or just take a nap. The gazebo hosts the town band every Monday and Thursday night.
- The Wild Gardens of Acadia
- Sieur de Monts Spring Nature Center
- 2006 Cruise Ship Schedule, .
Those seeking real adventure on a budget in Bar Harbor may find the bar and restaurant prices cost-prohibitive, but the Hannaford on Cottage Street offers no end of inexpensive food and drink including liquor, which can then be consumed at one's leisure as one walks about. In general, Bar Harbor is more interesting from 9PM-5AM during the summertime, when the crowds are thinner and the air cooler, although be advised that the Police Department never sleeps.
- Kebo Valley Golf Course, State Highway 233 ("Eagle Lake Road"). Pro Shop: 207-288-3000 [email protected], Club House: Phone: +1 207 288-5000, email: [email protected], Superintendent: 207-288-2200 [email protected] . Challenge yourself at the 8th oldest golf course in America. 6,131 yards, par 70.
- Pirate's Cove Adventure Golf Route 3, Phone: +1 207 288-2133,  Open mid-April through October, 11AM-9PM every day. Two 18-hole courses, Original and Blackbeard's Challenge. Both courses $7.50 for adults, $6.50 for children. 36-hole adventure: $12/adults, $11/children. Ice cream window right across the street to celebrate.
While Maine has relatively low crime rates compared to the rest of the United States, Bar Harbor is rather different during tourist season. Locking of one's car is advised, although car theft is almost unheard of. Prostitution has recently reared its ugly head, as it has in Ellsworth.
- Criterion Theater, 35 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-3441, email: [email protected], . Enjoy a film or live performance at this beautiful, historic Art-Deco theater. 88 balcony seats, 781 downstairs.
- Reel Pizza Cinerama 3 Kennebec Place, Phone: +1 207 288-3811. email:[email protected], . Take your pick of comfy seating and gourmet pizzas, beer and wine, in front of one of two screens. Tickets $6.00 for adults and children. Disability accommodations.
- The Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co.,  Cruise Frenchman's Bay and get up close and personal with whales, dolphins, porpoises, sea birds and more.
- Mount Desert Oceanarium and Lobster Hatchery 3829 Route 3, 207-288-5005 .
- Diver Ed's Dive-In Theater, Phone: +1 207 288-DIVE (3483), .
- Margaret Todd Schooner, Office located at 27 Main St., Tickets: Phone: +1 207 288-4585 or Phone: +1 207 288-2373  Sail through Frenchman's Bay on this beautiful, 151-foot, four-masted schooner and see the sun set over the harbor. Follow the shore path to the right of the town pier to the dock directly in front of the Bar Harbor Inn. (You'll see the boat before you get that close). Sails at 10am (morning sail), 2pm (afternoon sail), and 6:30pm (sunset sail). Tickets are $29.50/adults, $27.50/seniors, $19.50/kids under 12. Tickets also available on-line here.
The following is a list of walks and hikes around the village of Bar Harbor. For a complete list of mountains on the island, please see the list on the Mount Desert Island page.
- Cadillac Mtn. 1,530 ft.
- North Ridge Trail
- South Ridge Trail
- Dorr Mtn. 1,270 ft.
- Champlain Mtn. 1,058 ft.
- Bear Brook Trail
- The Precipice Trail - One of the most difficult hikes on the island, iron rungs and ladders help you make the steep ascent. This trail is closed at times due to nesting peregrine falcons, which can be viewed from the parking area.
- The Beehive 540 ft. - A short but steep hike up this mountain rewards you with some great views of Sand Beach, Great Head, Frenchman's Bay, and Champlain Mtn.
- Gorham Mtn. 525 ft.
- The Shorepath - A relaxing stroll along the oceanfront, beginning at the town pier.
- Ocean Trail - An easy walk along the dramatic, rocky coastline Maine is known for. See Sand Beach, Thunder Hole and Otter Cliffs.
- Bar Island - This trail is accessible only at low tide.
- Carraige Roads - Accessible by Eagle Lake
- Great Head Trail
Tips for hiking in Bar Harbor
- Avoid driving and use the free Island Explorer buses. These stop at most trail heads, and afford an ideal means of taking hikes from one point to another without spotting cars.
- Bring and drink at least one liter of water per person and use sun protection. The nearby mountains and shoreline afford little protection from the sun.
- Dress in layers. Even on the hottest summer days the mountains and shoreline can be windy and cool.
- Stay on the 160 km/100 miles of trails and 80km/50 miles of carriage roads.
Here's how to explore Bar Harbor by canoe or kayak. For a complete list of ponds and lakes on the island, please see the list on the Mount Desert Island page.
- Coastal Kayaking Tours, Toll free: +1 800-526-8615. (email: [email protected]) .
- Island Adventures Kayaking, Phone: +1 207 288-3886.
- Krismark Outfitters, Toll free: +1 888-746-CAMP, email: [email protected]
- National Park Sea Kayak Tours, 39 Cottage St., Toll free: +1 800-347-0940, email: [email protected], . Reservations are suggested for these tours, which primarily cruise the quieter western side of Mount Desert Island, but also explore Frenchman, Eastern, Western and Blue Hill Bays.
- Acadia Air Tours  offers scenic flights with both gliders and old-fashioned biplanes that allow you to see Acadia National Park from a unique perspective.
- The Music Bar, 150 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-4353, . Local music store specializing in hard to find classic rock and other rarities.
- Sherman's Books and Stationary,  56 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-3161. For books.
- Bark Harbor, 200 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-0404, .
- Get Clocked, 119 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-1149, .
- Acadia Bike, 48 Cottage St., 800-526-8615, .
- Cadillac Mountain Sports, 26 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-4532., . Open daily 10am-5:30.
- Argosy Gallery, 110 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-9226, .
- Island Artisans, 99 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-4214, .
- William Bracken watercolors, Phone: +1 207 288-9560, .
Clothing and Apparel
- Cadillac's Patagonia, 39 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-0682,  . Open daily 11:30am-5pm.
- Cadillac's The North Face, 23 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-9600, . Open daily 11:30am-5pm.
- Cadillac's Nike, 29 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-9798. Open daily 11:30am-5pm.
- Cool as a Moose, 118 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-3904, .
- Geddy's Down Under, 19 Main St., . Entrance to the right of the restaurant entrance, by the license plates.
- Village Emporium 14 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-9584.
- Eden Rising, 39 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-1124, .
- Bar Harbor Lobster Bakes, Phone: +1 207 288-5031, .
- Cafe This Way, 14 1/2 Mt. Desert St., Phone: +1 207 288-4483,  .
- Donohue's Eatery and Spirits, 30 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-3030, [http://www.donohueseatery.com.
- EPI's, 8 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-5853. Pizza, subs, calzones, soups and salads. Two arcade games and a pinball machine in the back. A busy place in the summer, but the wait in line is worth it.
- Freddie's Route 66, 21 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-3708, .
- Galyn's Restaurant and Galley Lounge, 17 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-9706. Open daily, March to November. lunch served 11:30-2:30, dinner 4-10pm. Head to the Galley Lounge for happy hour between 4-6 each afternoon. Reservations are accepted.
- Geddy's, 19 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-5077, . Serving lunch and dinner seven days a week, all year-round. Burgers, steaks, grilled chicken, seafood, and gourmet pizza. Have fun pointing out all of the interesting Mount Desert Island memorabilia on the walls while you enjoy the great food and service.
- Havana, 318 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-2822, . "American fine dining with a latin flair".
- Jordan's Restaurant, 80 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-3586.
- Michelle's Fine Dining, 194 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-0048, .
- Poor Boy's Gourmet Restaurant, 300 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-4148, email: [email protected], .
- Rosalie's, For some of the best pizza in town. A seat upstairs at the windows gives a nice view down to Cottage St.
- Rupununi -- An American Bar and Grill, 119 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-2886, .
- The Parkside Restaurant, 185 Main St., 207-288-3700.
- The Pier Restaurant, 55 West St., Phone: +1 207 288-2110, .
- The Quarterdeck, 1 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-1161
- Mache Bistro, 135 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-0447, .
- Mama DiMatteo's, 34 Kennebec St., Phone: +1 207 288-3666.
- Gringo's 30 Rodick St., Phone: +1 207 288-2326
- Siam Orchid, 30 Rodick St., Phone: +1 207 288-9669.
- Nakorn Thai, 58 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-4060.
- Not Quite the Corner Deli, 65 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-1006.
- Michelle's Brown Bag Cafe, 164 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-5858.
- Mount Desert Island Ice Cream, Phone: +1 207 735-5911, . The best ice cream place in town. Right next to the Village Green, serving homemade ice cream and also some wild flavors for the adventurous.
- Ben & Bills Chocolate Emporium, 164 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-3281, . Ben & Bills may have long lines in the summer but besides lobster ice cream the handcrafted confections are what make it worth the wait.
- CJ's Big Dipper, 150 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-2128.
- Cafe Milagro, 37 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-9592. Not only the best coffee but the best place to enjoy a coffee in Bar Harbor.
- Rupununi: An American Bar and Grill, 119 Main St., 207-288-2886, .
- Lompoc Cafe and Brew Pub, 36 Rodick St., Phone: +1 207 288-9392, email: [email protected], .
- Carmen Verandah's, 119 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-2766, email: [email protected], .
- Little Anthony's Sports Bar and Pizzaria, 131 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-4700, .
- Fish House Grill, May-October: 207-288-3070, October-May: 941-458-2607, ail: [email protected], .
- The Thirsty Whale Tavern, 40 Cottage St., Phone: +1 207 288-9335.
There are three breweries within Bar Harbor town limits, and a year-round population of only about 3,000. This is perhaps the most breweries per capita in the US.
- Bar Harbor Brewing Company, 135 Otter Creek Dr., Phone: +1 207 288-4592, e-mail: [email protected], .
- Atlantic Brewing Company, 15 Knox Road, Toll free: +1 800-475-5417, Phone: +1 207 288-2337, [email protected], .
- Maine Coast Brewing Co., 102 Eden St, Phone: +1 207 288-4914.
Room rates in Bar Harbor vary drastically with time of year and also with category of accommodation.
Full Service Hotels & Motels
- Acadia Inn, 98 Eden Street (Rt. 3), Phone: +1 207 288-3500 or 800-638-3636, fax: 207-288-8424, email: [email protected], . Open April 7 thru November 11. $69 early May-$179 August.
- Atlantic Eyrie Lodge, 6 Norman Road, Phone: +1 207 288-9786 or 800-HABA-VUE, email: [email protected], . Open May 19 thru October 15. $62 mid-May to mid-June; $202 July and August. Cheapest rooms are on 1st and 2nd floors, more expensive for corner rooms (two big windows), rooms on upper floors, and those with kitchens.
- Atlantic Oakes by the Sea, Phone: +1 207 288-5801 or 800-336-2463, fax: 207-288-8402, email: [email protected], . Open year-round. $92 Jan.-mid May; $203 July - Labor Day. Room categories from least expensive: Oceanview, kitchenette, deluxe, superior.
- Bar Harbor Grand Hotel, 269 Main St., Phone: +1 207 288-5226 or 888-766-2529, fax: 207-288-8548, email: [email protected], . Open Apr 14 - Nov 11. $75 mid-April - mid-May; $195 July and August.
- Bar Harbor Inn, Newport Drive, Phone: +1 207 288-3351 or 800-248-3351, email: [email protected], . Open Mar 24 - Nov 26. $79 Apr - Jun; $369 Jul and Aug.
- Bar Harbor Motel, 100 Eden St., Phone: +1 207 288-3453 or 800-388-3453, fax: 207-288-3598, email: [email protected], . Open May 11 - Oct 21. $60 May; $128 July and August.
- Bar Harbor Regency, 123 Eden Street, Phone: +1 207 288-9723, Toll free: +1 800-23-HOTEL, .
- Bayview Hotel, 111 Eden Street, Toll free: +1 800-356-3585, .
- Harborside Hotel and Marina, 55 West Street, Phone: +1 207 288-5033, Toll-Free: +1 800-328-5033, .
- Robbins Motel, 396 State Highway 3, Phone: +1 207 288-4659, Toll free: +1 800-858-0769, . All rooms one low price for one or two people. May-June $32, July-August $58, September-October $42.
- Quimby House Inn, 109 Cottage Street, Phone: +1 207 288-5811, Toll free: +1 800-344-5811, Email: [email protected], .
Bed & Breakfasts/Guest Houses
- Acacia House Hotel, 6 High Street, Toll-free: 800-551-5399, Phone: +1 207 288-8122, Email [email protected], .
- Ridgeway Inn, 11 High Street, Toll free: +1 800-360-5226 or Phone: 288-9682, E-mail: ridgeway[email protected], .
- Ullikana Bed and Breakfast, 16 The Field, Phone: +1 207 288-9552, Email: [email protected], .
- Bar Harbor Campground, 409 Route 3 Salisbury Cove, Phone: +' 207 288-5185, .
- Blackwoods Campground, Phone: +' 207 288-3338, . Year round operation by National Park Service, 306 sites, no hookups. $20.
- Hadley's Point Campground, 33 Hadley Point Rd., Phone: +' 207 288-4808, . Grassy and wooded sites with hookups, pool, hot showers, etc.
- Mount Desert Narrows Camping Resort, 1219 State Hwy 3, Toll-Free: +1 866-780-4782
or Phone: +' 207 288-4782, Email: [email protected], .
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!