Bagenalstown (also known as Muine Bheag) is a town on the western fringe of County Carlow. Built in the 1700s on the River Barrow by Lord Walter Bagenal, the town was originally based on Versailles in France. Today, with a population of 3,000 people, it offers a growing number of services and facilities, boosted by the easy access from its location just off the main Dublin - Waterford road and rail routes.
Bagenalstown is located just off the N9 road which links Dublin to Waterford. It is approximately 20 minutes from both Carlow town and Kilkenny city.
Bagenalstown is served by the Dublin - Waterford rail route. It is about 90 minutes from these cities and 15 minutes from Carlow town. Iarnrod Eireann (Ireland's rail operator) use "Muine Bheag" as the station name.
- Bagenalstown Courthouse dates from the era of Lord Walter Bagenal, and is modelled on the Parthenon in Athens.
- Bagenalstown Floral Festival takes place each August.
- Bagenalstown Swimming Pool. This is an outdoor pool, located just outside town on the Leighlinbridge Road.
- Go angling. There are several spots along the River Barrow which are frequently used for angling and fishing.
- Kiddies Kingdom +353 (0)59 9723532. Large indoor playground for children.
- Public Tennis Courts
- Pitch And Putt Course
- Soccer and Gaa Pitch
- Fairgreen Playground
- Carrigbeg Horse Riding
- Glitz n Glam
- Joans Boutiqe
- Anne Phelans Chemist
- Carlos Shoe Heaven
The little shop.... ABSOLUTE SAVAGENESS AT ITS FINEST!!!!
- Golden Inn Chinese Main Street
- Doyles Railway House Bar Kilree St., Bagenalstown.
- Roosters Chippersthey give food poisining
- Marios Tandoori"""""" freshly cut chinese people
- ", Market square, ☎ 0599723560. indian restaurant
- Monkey Maeve Legendary monkeys served with chomp bananas
- Phelan's, Bagenalstown
- The Red Lion Regent Street
- Doyles Railway House Stationhouse Road
- Lorum Old Rectory, Kilgreaney, +353 (0)59 9775282, (e-mail: [email protected], fax: +353 (0)59 9775455), . Histotic house located 6km outside Bagenalstown.
- Kilgraney House, +353 (0)59 9775283, (e-mail: [email protected]), . Georgian house surrounded by five acres of wooded herb gardens. Offers spa treatment, with rates from €65.
- Orchard Grove, Wells, +353 (0)59 9722140, (e-mail: [email protected]), . 2km outside Bagenalstown with panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. Rates from €35
- Knockrigg House, Wells, Royal Oak, +353 (0)59 9722555, (e-mail [email protected]), . Located on the Kilkenny Road, this modern house is a five minute walk from the River Barrow with an extensive breakfast menu, and rates from €30.
- Bagenalstown Internet Café, +353 (0)59 9123593.