Bad Reichenhall  is a spa town in Bavaria, Germany, near Salzburg, Austria. Bad Reichenhall has a population of 18,351.
- The word Bad implies that this is a spa town.
- Since early 19th century, Bad Reichenhall was famous for being a health resort. Bad Reichenhall is where a royal spa tradition and modern life harmoniously meet.
- 16,785 out of 18,351 population make Bad Reichenhall their primary residence.
Closest airports are in Salzburg and Munich.
Bad Reichenhall is easily reached by rail. There's direct commuter train (route S3) from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden which goes through Bad Reichenhall every 30 minutes to an hour depending on the time of day. Travellers from Munich have to connect either in Salzburg or in Freilassing (small town on the German side of the border, where Berchtesgaden railway splits from the mainline).
from Munich and Salzburg go to A8 autobahn.
Transportation is typically by car, bus or walking. City transit consist of 3 bus routes. Routes #1 and #2 go through the town to relatively remote outskirts like Thumsee (remember that "remote" means "mile away" for this town). Route #4 is CityBus and circles the town. There's no route #3. All buses stop at Railway station (Hauptbahnhof) and Rathausplatz.
- Beautifully tended parks
- Historical sights make this alpine town one of the most precious jewels of Bavaria.
- The Old Town is best explored on foot as it is mostly a car-free and bustling pedestrian zone. Of particular interest are the Poststrasse, the Ludwigstrasse, the Rathausplatz, the Altes Kurhaus, St. Zeno Minster and the remains of Gruttenstein fortress.
- The Alte Saline - Saline is also open to the public for tours of this unusual brick complex of the mid 1800s that houses the salt museum and a giant brine pumping system. The salt works visit also includes an exciting walk through its stone corridors leading deep under the mountain where caves and saltwater extraction equipment are
- The delightful Kurgarten is unique thanks to its monumental open-air saltwater inhalation facility. From spring to autumn, the Kurgarten is an oasis of beauty and tranquility conducive to rest and recuperation, boasting very old trees, splendid shrubs, flower beds and palm trees.
- Heimatmuseum A visit to the Heimatmuseum (local heritage museum) conveys a clear picture of regional history from the Stone Age to the present day.
- The Predigtstuhlbahn is the world's oldest twin-cable gondola lift. In just a few minutes it will speed you to the top of Bad Reichenhall's local peak, the Predigtstuhl at 1614 m (5300 ft).
- Lake Thumsee Nestling in the heart of a nature reserve, the crystal-clear waters of Lake Thumsee resemble a green emerald. In summer it is a popular swimming area and in winter it swarms with ice-skaters and ice-curling players. Year-round it is an idyllic place of rest and relaxation for locals and visitors alike.
- Fun and adventure sports can be booked through Club Aktiv, Tel.: +49 8651 67238
- Mountain climbing
- Bungee jumping
- Paragliding - Information about tandem-paragliding from TAKE-OFF, Stefan Wiebel, licensed tandem flight pilot: Tel.: +49 8651 984192; cellphone +49 179 241 1136
- Diving - Information from Tauchcenter Blue-Ring-Octopus, Tel.: +49 8651 5105
- Swimming - There is a large choice of attractive heated outdoor and indoor pools, as well as beaches on the banks of crystal-clear mountain lakes. Pools in Bad Reichenhall:
- RupertusTherme Spa & Fitness Resort ThermenLandschaft Mon. - Sat. 09:00 a.m - 22:00 p.m Sun. and holidays 09:00 a.m - 20:00 p.m
- Städtische Schwimmhalle: Municipal indoor pool: Mon. - Fri. 2:00 - 9:30 p.m.; Sat., Sun. & holidays 10:00 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.
- Thumsee beach: open May through September
- Biking - The spa zone boasts 50 km of biking trails, the Berchtesgaden Land district some 500 km! What an invitation to undertake one of many varied bicycle excursions! Among the favorites of the area are Thumsee Lake, Saalach Lake, along Saalach River, around Mount Untersberg and many more. The tourist office's activity program includes free guided biking tours.
- Mozart biking trail - A bike tour following the trail of the famed Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. This unequaled musical genius is undoubtedly one of the most famous composers of all times. Over 200 years later, Mozart's operas such as Don Giovanni or The Magic Flute still enthrall millions of listeners. As a person, Mozart remains somewhat of a puzzle but many traces of his short but turbulent life can be found - especially in our area. Embark on a bike ride of discovery to the places connected to the life and works of this formidable character dotted throughout the areas of Salzburg, Chiemsee and Berchtesgaden Land.
- Bike rental. Aral fuel station (Loferer Strasse 28 - 29 on the B20 near Bad Reichenhall) rents bicycles at the following rates: Touring bike EUR 7.50 / day; Mountain bike with suspension fork EUR 12.50 / day \; Full-suspension mountain bike EUR 17.50 / day; 24-hour service; 10% discount with the Visitor's Card; Free crash helmet
- Downhill skiing - Bad Reichenhall makes for an ideal base from which to ski the slopes of the Berchtesgaden and Salzburg areas. Berchtesgaden is easy to reach by car or public transportation. Salzburg is but a short drive away and within an hour you can reach famous ski areas such as Flachau, Zauchensee, Filzmoos, Saalfelden or the Dachstein-Tauern area. Information and reduced rate passes can be obtained from the Bad Reichenhall tourist information office Tel.: +49 8651 606 0
- Sledding - A natural sled run (750 m) can be found in Bayerisch Gmain starting at Bergkurgarten. Two-seater sleds can be rented for free by presenting the Visitor's Card to the information center at Bayerisch Gmain. The run is illuminated at night till 10:00 p.m. Tel.: +49 8651 606 401
- Ice-skating - Bad Reichenhall's ice-skating rink has been closed due to building failure. If weather permits, ice-skating is also possible on Lake Thumsee.
- Snowshoe hiking - Experience Bad Reichenhall's glittering winter landscape on a snowshoe trek to the summit of Mount Predigtstuhl! Spectacular vistas are your reward! Information and booking: Josef Posch, Tel.: +49 8651 4009 or +49 171 737 0893.
- Ice-curling - Tuesdays 2:00 - 5:00 p.m. at Bayerisch Gmain's sports and leisure center.
- RupertusTherme Spa & Fitness Resort - A new showpiece for Bad Reichenhall. The ultimate enjoyment in a spa facility featuring natural thermal springs, opened its doors at the end of March 2005. The name is derived from St. Rupert, the patron saint of salt, after whom, by tradition, numerous establishments in Bad Reichenhall are named. RupertusTherme sets itself apart from the numerous existing and planned natural mineral hot springs in Bavaria by integrating the healthy tradition of salt in a completely new and trendsetting vitality and activity concept.
- High-wire rig
- Cave exploring
- Golf - Welcome to Golf Country! 10 golf courses and one driving-range (Marzoll) within a radius of 45 km await you in the vicinity of Bad Reichenhall and Bayerisch Gmain. Some of the green offer breathtaking views of mountains and lakes as well.
- Driving-Range (Schloßberghof, Marzoll) Tel.: 08651 / 7005-41.
- Gambling Games daily from 3:00 pm to 2:00 am and slot machines daily from 2:00 p.m. to 2:00 am.
- There is an elegant pedestrian area boasting 330 exclusive shops.
- As boarische Wirtshaus Schwabenbräu - Tavern Style, big leafy patio, more fish and fowl entrees in menu than in typical restaurant serving German food. Salzburger Str. 22 · D-83435 · Bad Reichenhall Tel: 08651 / 9695-0 · Fax: 08651 / 9695-12
- Axelstüberl - Regional food. Salzburger Str. 2-6 · D-83435 · Bad Reichenhall Tel: 08651 / 7770 · Fax: 08651 / 5932
- Bahnhofsgaststätte - Bahnhofsplatz 1 · D-83435 · Bad Reichenhall Tel: 08651 / 2677
- Steak Haus - Großgmainer Str.14·D-83457·Bayerisch Gmain Tel: 08651 / 965796
- Kammerer Bräu - Poststraße 23 Tel: (08651) 602160
- Neu Meran (it´s more expensive) Nonn 94 Tel: 08651-4078
- Bürgerbräu Waaggasse 1-2 Tel: (08651) 6089
- Padinger Alm Nonner Str. 79
- Reber Cafe  has been family-owned for more than 140 years and is famous for manufacturing high quality sweet treats, most of all the Genuine Reber Mozart-Kugeln. Their cakes (sold by very generous pieces for under 3€ apiece) are out of this world and make even pretty decent Glockenspiel in Salzburg (now part of Demel) to pale in comparison. Candy store is in the same building. Ludwigstr. 10 · D-83435 · Bad Reichenhall Tel +49 8651 6003-0
- Hauke Vogt Bistrorant Hünn's & Co. - Menu has several sections covering areas from Bavarian specialities to standard German entrees to small "Oriental" section featuring Moroccan dishes and couple of curry enrees (pretty inauthentic, but can help to cure your craving for spicier foods for some time). Excellent Monday Special is Schweinshaxe (German Ham Hock) with coleslaw and bread dumpling for 5.90€ Rathausplatz 4 · D-83435 · Bad Reichenhall Tel: 08651/715298 Fax: 08651/69002
- Eis-Cafe La Perla - Very good selection of Italian ice creams and gelatos. Open relatively late at night. Salzburger Str. 3 · D-83435 · Bad Reichenhall Tel: +49 8651 64935
- You can find some bars in the pedestrian plaza.
- If you like to go to clubs, you have to go to Salzburg or Munich.
- Kurmittelhaus Fürstenbad - Luitpoldstraße 2 · D-83435 · Bad Reichenhall Tel: 08651 / 3086 Email: [email protected]
- Kurmittelhaus Geyer - Luitpoldstr. 19 · D-83435 · Bad Reichenhall Tel: 08651 / 97600 · Fax: 08651 / 976037 Email: [email protected]
- Hotel Residenz Bavaria Am Münster 3 · D-83435 · Bad Reichenhall Tel: 08651 / 7760 · Fax: 08651 / 65786 Email: [email protected]
- It´s also possible to spend your vacation on a farm
- Hotel Seeblick - Thumsee 10, 83435 Bad Reichenhall Tel: +49(0)8651/9863-0 Email: [email protected] - wonderful hotel that is located nearby the Lake "Thumsee" which offers a lot to families and outdoor lovers
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!