During World War II it was the site of two POW camps, Stalag XIB and Stalag 357.
During World War II it was the site of two POW camps, Stalag XIB and Stalag 357.
| || |
Fallingostel Town]] |+|
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 08:46, 11 October 2011
Hof der Heidmark
, a typical Lower Saxon farm near Bad Fallingbostel
Bad Fallingbostel  is the county town (Kreisstadt) of Soltau-Fallingbostel in the state of Lower Saxony.
Bad Fallingbostel lies within the Lüneburg Heath region, a popular holiday and excursion area for the great North German cities of Hanover, Hamburg and Bremen. It is also a recognised state-recognised spa town, hence the prefix "Bad". It has close ties to Walsrode, a few miles to the west. There is a British Army base in Bad Fallingbostel.
During World War II it was the site of two POW camps, Stalag XIB and Stalag 357.
Bad Fallingbostel is an interesting town with quite a bit of history. The old church of St. Dionysis is an interesting site to see, as is the monument to Heinrich von Quintus Icilius; a 19th century politician who helped create one of the first savings banks in Hanover. The villages are over a thousand years old, although documented mentioning occured only at later times. The main town Fallingbostel celebrated its 1000th anniversary in 1993. In the year 993 Fallingbostel was mentioned in writng for the first time. Kaiser Otto III. set the border between the bishoprics Hildesheim and Minden. In this document Fallingbostel is referred to as "Vastulingeburstalle". This name means "place to live of Vastulo or of the Vastulingers". Dorfmark was first mentioned in documents which are dated to the time around 968. In one of those documents from the year 1006 these place is called "Thormarca". That name is interpreted: Thor = to the, marca = border, forest-cooperative, market-cooperative
The moorlands of the Lüneburg Heath are a beautiful place to visit. It offers some of the most beautiful places to hike, walk, or cycle around Lower Saxony, a brilliant way to see the Lüneburg Health. Bad Fallingbostel also has the old German farmhouse known as Hof der Heidmark and many of the town’s timber framed houses are still here.
A little more than half a century ago Bad Fallingbostel was the site of World War II POW camps; Stalag XIB, XID, and 357 (Stalag XIC was the Bergen Belsen camp only about a half hour away). More than 30,000 Soviet prisoners were buried here before the camp was liberated in 1945. After the war, the camp was used as an internment camp for National Socialists; it’s now all part of the Fallingbostel Military Museum. World War II history has found its way in town in another way, it’s the final resting place of Field Marshal Erich von Manstein, a high ranking general who served four years in prison for war crimes before going off to become a military advisor for the British. Interestingly enough, the 19th century writer (journalist, conservationist, historian) Hermann Löns is also buried here. He died long before the start of the 2nd World War, but his nationalistic writings caught the attention of the Nazis and Adolf Hitler ordered his body exhumed and reburied here.
Bad Fallingbostel is a small beautiful town with a lot of history. But if history is not your thing then there are plenty of sites and attractions around Fallingbostel that would be of interest.
Bad Fallingbostel lies on the Böhme river in the southern part of the Lüneburg Heath between Soltau and Walsrode in the Heidmark. In the vicinity is the large military training area of Bergen-Hohne, which is utilised by the Bundeswehr and by NATO forces, as well as Fallingbostel Station, a large barracks for the British Forces in Germany.
Bad Fallingbostel lies next to the A7 motorway between Hamburg and Hanover and has its own motorway exit, and also has a train station from which you can reach Hannover and Hamburg with only one change.
Bad Fallingbostel is central to the main airports in the region, Bremen, Hannover & Hamburg. All of these airports fly to the main cities in the UK (Such as the London airports, Birmingham, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Manchester ) and also to the main cities in Europe (Such as Paris,Venice and Moscow )
Directions - From Bremen Airport to Bad Fallingbostel.
- Head southeast on Flughafenallee toward Flughafendamm
- turn right onto Flughafendamm, Flughafendamm turns left and becomes Cornelius-Edzard-Straße
- turn right onto Neuenlander Str./B6, continue to follow B6,
- Take the A1 exit toward Osnabrück/Oldenburg
- Keep left at the fork to continue toward A1
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Hamburg/Hannover/A1 and merge onto A1
- Take exit 53-Bremer Kreuz on the left to merge onto A27 toward Hannover/Achim
- Take exit 27-Walsrode-West for B209 toward Walsrode/Rethem
- Turn right onto B209 (signs for Bad Fallingbostel/Walsrode)
- Turn right onto Lange Str./B209 (signs for Soltau/Fallingbostel/Kloster)
- Turn left onto Kirchplatz/B209, Continue to follow B209, Continue onto Düshorner Str./L163
- Continue to follow L163
- Then you arrive at Bad Fallingbostel
Bremen Airport about 82km from Fallingbostel and estimated time travel is 50 minutes (depending on traffic). If you have a Sat Nav the address you need to put in is: Bremen Airport (BRE), 28199 Bremen, Germany. Once you get to Bremen Airport you will find 4500 parking spaces in two multistorey car parks opposite Terminal 1-3. Both multistoreys offer long-stay parking; in the P1 car park you will also find short-stay parking. The main airlines that fly from Bremen are Air Berlin, Ryanair, TUIFly, AirEuropa and AirFrance. For more information abour Bremen Airport please visit their webiste: - http://www.airport-bremen.de.
Hannnover airport is only a short trip to Bad Fallingbostel. The directions are: -
Start: Head northeast toward Flughafenstraße/K324
- Take the 1st right onto Flughafenstraße/K324
- Turn left onto Wagenzeller Str./L190
- Turn left to merge onto A352
- Take the exit toward A7
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Hamburg/Bremen/Berkhof/A7 and merge onto A7
- Take exit 47-Bad Fallingbostel toward Oerbke
- Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Bad Fallingbostel/B209 and merge onto B209
- Turn right onto Düshorner Str./L163, Continue to follow L163
- Arrive at Bad Fallingbostel
To drive from Hannover airport to Bad Fallingbostel will take you about 30 minutes (depnding on traffic).If you would like information about Hannover airport please visit their website - http://www.hannover-airport.de. The main airlines that fly out of Hannover are Air Berlin, BMI, German Wings & FlyBe.
Hamburg Airport is another main airport not to far from Fallingbostel. To get from Hamburg airport to Bad Fallingbostel follow these directions: -
- Head south
- Slight left toward Zeppelinstraße/B433
- Take the ramp onto Zeppelinstraße/B433, continue to follow B433
- Slight right to merge onto Krohnstieg/B433 toward Norderstedt/Poppenbüttel/A7/Schnelsen, continue to follow B433
- Continue onto Oldesloer Str./B432
- Merge onto A7 via the ramp to Hannover/Bremen/Husum/Heide
- Take the exit onto A7
- Take exit 47 toward Deiler Weg/B209
- Turn right onto Deiler Weg/B209 (signs for Nienburg/Walsrode/Bad Fallingbostel), continue to follow B209
- Turn right onto Düshorner Str./L163, continue to follow L163
- Arrival at Bad Fallingbostel (turning on the left).
To drive from Hamburg Airport to Bad Fallingbostel will take you around 1 hour 15 minutes (depending on traffic). The main airlines that fly out from Hamburg airport are Air Berlin, Easy Jet, Flybe, TUIFly and many other major airlines. For more information about Hamburg Airport please visit their website: -http://www.ham.airport.de.
Bad Fallingbostel has two railway stations - Bad Fallingbostel and Dorfmark - on the Heath Railway from Hanover to Soltau. You can travel to all of the main cities from Bad Fallingbostel, such as Bremen, Hannover, Hamburg. For great ticket offers vist www.bahn.de.
The train station in Bad Fallingbostel
There are train stations located in Bad Fallingbostel and Dorfmark. From both stations you can travel to a number of destinations. These include Soltau, Walsrode, Bremen, Hamburg and Hannover.
There are a number of great ticket offers available. One of these is called the Lander-Ticket. This offers unlimited travel for a whole day within a certain region. Travel can be on any day of the week within one of the German states. The ticket can be used on all local trains (Regional Express, Regional Bahn, S-Bahn) and several other transport systems. The package price starts from €29 for up to 5 people travelling together or for parents (or one parent) travelling with any number of children under the age of 15.
If your looking for savings for weekend travelling then get the Schönes Wochenende Ticket. It is one of the best ticket offers for tourists of all ages. The ticket is valid for up to 5 people travelling together and for parents travelling with their children aged 14 or younger. The ticket is only valid on either Saturdays or Sundays (one day only) between midnight and 3am the following day. Tickets are €39 euro.
You can purchase tickets and see the great offers on their website: - www.bahn.de. Or alternatively you can purchase tickets at the station from the ticket machine which is located just by the platform. The machine includes all the great ticket offers and can be translated into English.
The platform at Fallingbostel train station
There are several bus routes that travel in and around Bad Fallingbostel. For timetables visit http://www.vnn-service.de/Fahrplaene/SFA/511.pdf. (This link will take you directly to the Bad Fallingbostel timetable).
There is a taxi rank located at the Bad Fallingbostel train station. There are a few different taxi companies in Fallingbostel and their prices do vary, but are not overally expensive. Here are some useful taxi telephone numbers & information: -
- Eddy's Taxi. 0049 (0)5051 6655. They provide a 24 hour service and have transport for up to 6 passengers.
- Taxi abs. 0049 (0)5051 66 66. They provide a 24 hour service. Airport transportation and have transport that seats up to 8 people.
The taxi rank in Fallingbostel outside the train station
Duck pond at the park in Bad Fallingbostel
- Fallingbostel Military Museum, Fallingbostel , St Barbara's Barracks, . The museum was the brain child of Captain Dave Curry 2Bn REME who back in March 2006, asked Kevin Greenhalgh to help put on a small display of relics from the pow camps. It soon started to fill up first the room with pow relics then the corridor.......a museum was born. You will need an ID card or passport to enter the camp. Please contact Mr. K Greenhalgh at 01734391864 for details.
- Hof der Heidmark, (at the entrance to the Liethwald woods), ☎ 05162-3600, . 1 Apr to end Oct, Thursdays from 15.30 to 18.00; otherwise phone for an appointment. This monument to a typical Lower Saxon farm stands at the edge of a large beech wood that drops steeply to the River Böhme. The "Hof der Heidmark" has a 1642 timber-framed farmhouse and old Treppenspeicher barns. It commemorates the villages that were cleared in the mid-1930s to make way for the Bergen-Hohne military training area. One of the barns houses a small cafe, the Heimatstube Rummelsburg.
- Bootstation, Soltauer Straße 6, ☎ 05162 909793, . Crazy golf, pedalo hire, live music Range from €6.50 - €42.
- Historical Walks There are a number of informative walks in and around Bad Fallingbostel with a varied distances.
- Lieth outdoor pool, Soltauer Straße 26, 29683 Bad Fallingbostel, ☎ 05162 622226. The heated "Lieth-Freibad" has a charming location in the forest near the Böhme river. The season for the "Lieth-Freibades" begins, depending on weather, in May and ends in September. Adult €3.50 Child €1.50.
- Golf Club Tielingen, Tietlingen 6c - 29683 Bad Fallingbostel, ☎ 05162 38 89. Enjoy the spirit of the game at the Gold Club Tielingen. Play one of the most scenic and challenging golf courses in North Germany. Low cost memberships with monthy payment options. For prices please call..
- Vogelpark, Walsrode, Am Vogelpark, 29664 Walsorde (Vogelpark is situated in Walsrode, The next town to Bad Fallingbostel about 10km away), ☎ 05161 60440. March - October 9:00 - 19:00, July to August 9:00 - 20:00. The biggest bird park in the world with over 4500 birds. Full of flowers, rare trees and shrubs, many different birds roam freely in open enclosures, walk-through aviaries and huge flight cages. Adults (18+) €16, Children (4-17) €11..
- The Park, Bad Fallingbostel, In the centre of town opposite the ice cream parlour ("). Fallingbostel has a beautiful large park area. There is he duck pond feeding area, a great place to take the children on a summers day. Also situated next to the park is the Boot Station. They serve food & drinks, they have mini golf and boat hire. At the bottom end of the park there is an adventure playground area for children.
- Reitschule for Freizeitreiter - Horse Riding, Görlitzer Strasse 17 (Take the B163 from Fallingbostel to Soltau, between the villages of Vierde and Dorfmark, near the lay-by on the right hand side is a sign ''RLAUB AUF DEM BAUERNHOF'' (Holiday on the farm) follow this sign down to the riding school), ☎ 05163 290 414. This riding school speak in English. They offer a mini club for children from 3 years old. They Alos offer riding lessions for adults - Beginners and Experienced. They also do childrens birthday parties. For more information please call them on the number stated above. Or visit their website - www.pro-freizeitreiter.de. Please call for prices..
- Fallingbostel Farmers Market This takes place every Thursday morning and sells fresh fruit vegtables and flowers.
- Glasspeicher Bennien, Scharnhorststraße 4a, ☎ 05162 7521, . Mon-Fri 0930-1230/1430-1800 Sun -0930-1300. They offer hand blown glass crystal such as ,Carafés, Bowls and Glasses. They also stock the complete range of Bunzlauer Ceramic in various designs including the famous "Peacock Eye". In Addition you will also find a small selection of Antique Pine and French Polished Furniture. They can also engrave any design, eg Regimental Crests onto Carafés, Glasses. Various prices.
- Waterfront Shopping Centre, Waterfront '''Bremen''', AG-Weser-Straße, 28237 Bremen (Motorway A27, Junction 17 (Dreieck Bremen-Industriehäfen) to the freeway feeder A281 (Überseestadt-bound) you will see the Waterfront Bremen on the right side after approximately 4 kilometres.), ☎ 0421 33 05 199, . Mon-Sat 10:00-20:00. Waterfront Shopping Centre in Bremen is about an hours drive from Bad Fallingbostel but well worth it. Waterfront Bremen is a shopping and leisure centre with a unique location directly on the banks of the River Weser. As its name and location suggest, there is always a fresh wind blowing through and around the Waterfront: shopping, feasting, cinema and events assure high spirits all year round. The young centre was opened in September 2008 and offers more than 80 shops from fashion (PRIMARK, Desigual, Tommy Hilfiger, Clockhouse and many others) to shoes, jewellery, athletic apparel and equipment to leather goods and gifts—nearly everything the heart could desire. To nourish visitors, there is a gastronomic selection of more than 15 different venues in the Food Court and on the outdoor terrace, with its Weser panorama. There are events held regularly in and around the Waterfront: fashion shows, exhibitions, concerts or activities for children—something for everybody. In the Food Court there is also a 25-sqm screen where broadcasts of all Werder Bremen football matches and highlights of the German Football League can be viewed. Various prices.
- Designer Outlet Wolfsburg, An Der Vorburg 1, D-3844 Wolfdburg (Get onto the A7 toward Hannover/Bremen, take exit 57-Kreuz Hannover-Ost for A2 toward Berlin/Braunschweig, take exit 58 toward A39, keep right at the fork, follow signs for Wolfsburg/Flechtorf/A39 and merge onto A39, take exit 3-Wolfsburg-West toward Wolfsburg, then following the signs for the shopping centre. If using a Sat Nav please use the address listed above. The Wolfsburg outlet centre is about 130km from Fallinbostel and will take about 1hr 15mins drive (depending on traffic)), ☎ 05361 893 500, . Mon-Sat 10:00 - 19:00 Sun -13:00 - 18:00. Wolfsburg Outlet Shopping Centre is a place tofind designer discount brands. They have brand shops such as : - Diesel, Adidas, Fossil, Nike, Puma, Clinque, Calvin Klein and many many more. Various prices.
- Vatters Bakery, Vogteistraße 7, ☎ 05162 985312, . Mon-Fri 0630-1800 Sat-Sun 0630-1700. Is a café serving breakfast, fresh bread and cakes which are made daily.
- Zio Seba, Vogteistraße 2, ☎ 05162 91091. 1100-2200. Pavement café in the centre of Bad Fallingbostel where they serve Italian ice-cream.
ice cream parlour Fallingbostel
Strawberry(Erdbeere)ice cream served at the Ice Cream Parlour
- Mediteran, Kirchplatz 1, ☎ 05162 2305. 1130-1430 & 1800-2300. Also known as the Yugoslavian, serves Mediterranean food in a comfortable environment within the town centre.
- La Trattoria, Düshorner Straße 1, ☎ 05162 3820, . 1200-1430 & 1730 2330. Is an Italian restaurant with an indoor and outdoor seating area. This is situated in the centre of town.
- Beckmann's Hof, Adolphsheider Straße 43, ☎ 05162 98160. A traditional German restaurant on the outskirts of Bad Fallingbostel town where you are made to feel welcome. There is also the opportunity to use the Kegelbahn, the German equivalent of skittles.
- Wangs, Soltauer Straße 21, ☎ 05162 6666, . 1200-1500 - 1700 - 2200. Is a Chinese restaurant (and Take-Away) situated close to Bad Fallingbostel town centre. It offers a varied menu with a buffet on Wed/Fri/Sat and Sun evening. Adult Buffet €15, Child Buffet €8.50.
- Drei Tageszeiten, Kirchplatz 6, ☎ 05162 902513. 1200-1430 & 1730 - 2200. Has an outside terrace area overlooking the River Böhme and park, perfect for those summer evenings. They serve international cuisine and cater for that special occasion. Also many seasonal specialities like wild mushrooms in September and pumpkins in October. Mid-price (€10-16 for a main course).
- Alexis Sorbas, 4 Vogeti Str, ☎ 05162 7408, . 1200-1430 & 1700-2330. specialises in Greek food with an outside eating area right in the centre of Bad Fallingbostel. As well as Greek food they also provide a few international alternatives
- Akropolis, Am Rooksberg 1, ☎ 05162 1811. Is a Greek restaurant set in a cosy environment, with very helpful staff.
- Utspann, Quintusstraße 13, ☎ 05162 2114, . Mon-Sun 1200-2130. Is an original restaurant with a variety of choices for the exquisite taste. There is an opportunity for small or large groups to have horse and cart rides around the town.
- Binenkorb, Düshorner Straße 54, ☎ 05162 2782. 1100-2300. Serves traditional German and international food always freshly prepared with the option of eating indoors or outside. It is situated on the road towards Walsrode.
- Deluxe Döner, Hauptstr.4 29683, Dorfmark, ☎ 05163 29 110 66. 11:00 - 14.30 & 17:00 - 23:00 (closed Mondays). This is a Donner Kebab takeaway establishment in Dorfmark. They also do other foods such as Pizza, Wraps, Baguettes and side orders. €2 - €6.
- Chinese Take Away - Orchidee, Walsrode Str. 4 - 29683, Bad Fallingbostel, ☎ 05162 1011. Daily from 17:00 - 24:00, Fridays and Saturdays 17:00 - 1:00. This Chinese Take Away offers a wide range of Chinese food, from soups & starters to main dishes of pork, beef, duck & chicken. €2 - €12.50 (€2 delivery charge).
- City Pizza, Vogteistrasse 33. 29683 Bad Fallingbostel, ☎ 05162 904 666. Sunday - Thursday 16:00 - 23:00, Friday - Saturday 16:00 - 24:00. City Pizza offer a takeaway and delivery service. This pizza establishment also offers foods such as pasta, gyros, salads, burgers and side orders. €2 - €10.
- Die Taverne, Vogteistraße 11, ☎ 05162 900256. Is a traditional German pub situated in the centre of Bad Fallingbostel.
- Bootstation, Soltauer Straße 6, ☎ 05162 909793, . Is an outside bar with live music next to the river and park
Boot Station Bad Fallingbostel
- Flavourz, Dushorner Str. Is a lively bar in the centre of town, with a take away attached to the bar.
- Paradise (address=), ☎ 0174-6227152. Paradise is a new coacktail and lounge bar situated off from the centre of town, next to City Pizza. Pop along for a fun night filled with cocktails and dancing!
- Big Ben, Vogtei Strasse (By the railway tracks). A German Bar which also does food and takeaway.
- La Trattoria, Dushorner Strasse. Pizza, Steak House open daily.
- Flic Flac's, Vogeti Strasse (Next to the train station). Small disco/dance club .
- Kurparkblick, Soltauer Straße 6 - 29683 Bad Fallingbostel, ☎ 05162 91535 or email them at [email protected], . . €30 - €40.
- Haus Meyne, Fahrenholzer Weg 11, 29683 Bad Fallingbostel, ☎ mobile - 1077 581 7091 - Telephone - 01562 6804. [email protected]". €25.
- Hotel Berlin, Düshorner Straße 7, ☎ 05162 900060, . checkin: 1300; checkout: 0700-1100. This hotel enjoys a green setting and is right between the Walsrode bird sanctuary and Heide-Park Soltau leisure park. The town centre is a 5-minute walk from the Park Hotel Berlin, it is also possible to rent a bike to explore your surroundings.There is an onsite restaurant called the Leonard restaurant and serves Mediterranean cuisine. €99.
- Hotel Haus am Walde, Soltauer Str. 14/16, 29683 Bad Fallingbostel, ☎ 05162 97480, . checkin: 1200-2130; checkout: 1000-1100. This hotel enjoys a tranquil location beside the Böhme River and the park. It offers a daily buffet breakfast and free parking.The hotel rooms at the Haus am Walde feature cabled internet access and a private bathroom. There is a spa area available at Haus am Walde which includes a sauna, solarium, jacuzzi, and aromatherapy baths. Fasting cures and Thai massages are also available.
- Hotel Hof Idinger Heide, Idingen 3, ☎ 05162 2238, . checkin: 1200-2230; checkout: 0700-1030. This time-honoured farm complex offers relaxing holidays amid extensive gardens and characteristic timber-framed buildings. This is one of Fallingbostel’s oldest properties, the hotel is a comfortable base for a wide range of sports and leisure activities in the heart of the reserve. The old barns, tractor sheds and stables join forces with the 100-year-old trees to create a soothing ambience. €50-€90.
- Hotel Haus Petersen, Schluter Berg 1, ☎ 05162 5966, . checkin: 1500 - 2200; checkout: 0700-1100. Looking for a cozy hotel with personality and charm? The this is the place to go. They have great facilities, such as a pool & sauna, and have 15 comfortable, well kept, non smoking rooms. This hotel is situated between Hannover & Hamburg, & centrally between the main theme parks in the region, such as The Bird Park in Walsrode, Heide Park and Serengeti Park Hodenhagen. €60-€120.
- Telefiji Dushorner Str, 29683 Bad Fallingbostel
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!