Aviemore is a town in the Highlands of Scotland, in the area of Badenoch and Strathspey. It is a popular destination for outdoor activities and within Cairngorms National Park.
There are two main taxi companies in Aviemore - Bremners and Geordies. Rapsons, the coach company, runs regular buses around Aviemore, the Cairngorm Ski area and around the Spey Valley. Aviemore railway station handles trains from Inverness south, including destinations such as Edinburgh, Glasgow and England. There are many official paths around Aviemore including the Aviemore Orbital and walks around the Lochs and the Cairngorm Mountain.
- Hillwalking - many mountains nearby, the Cairngorms includes 4 out of 5 of Scotland's highest mountains.
- Mountain biking - numerous forests nearby, with tracks and paths suitable for off-road cycling, eg. Rothiemurchus, Glenmore, Glenfeshie.
- Laggan Wolftrax  (about 35km from Aviemore) is a network of purpose built mountain bike trails, as well as a cafe and shop / bike hire.
- Golfing - Golf courses in Aviemore and the Cairngorm area. 
- Skiing at Cairn Gorm mountain 
The main shopping point in Aviemore is the local Tesco's. Apart from that the village mainly contains outdoor and sporting equipment shops located on the main street, Grampian Road (with a few exceptions):
- Fat Face -- Fashionable outdoor leisure clothing and footwear. Trendy & fairly expensive.
- Bothy Bikes -- Located at Inverdruie on the Ski Road to Coylumbridge. Great stock of quality bikes, cycle clothes and accessories with local cycle trails right on the doorstep. Repairs and servicing also available. Knowledgable & friendly staff.
- Nevisport -- Outdoor and sporting equipent and clothing.
- Blacks -- Camping and outdoor equipment and clothing.
- Frasers Butchers -- Award winning Butcher shop with some of the best sliced sausage you are ever likely to taste.
- Sue Ryder Charity Shop -- Secondhand clothing charity shop. Sometimes good for bargin skiing/sporting gear. Also good for cheap books.
- Fat Treads -- Located at the rear of Myrtlefield Shopping Centre. Quality cycling gear and bikes available as well as a repairs service. Good advice to be had, if a little on the expensive side.
- Julian Graves -- Local branch of the nationwide healthfood shop chain.
- Ottakars -- Book shop with a fairy good range of stock including local OS maps and games.
- Semi-Chem -- For toileteries and personal care items.
Eat & Drink
Even though Aviemore is a very small village is does not suffer from having nowhere to eat out or have a quiet drink due to the tourist trade in the area. Here is a list of a few:
- The Cairngorm Hotel -- Grampian Road, opposite the Railway station. "The Cairn" as it is known locally is home to a traditional style pub/lounge and restaurant. As well as the usual international beers they also offer a range of locally brewed beer and ales. Food is more expensive than normal pub fare, but is of a very high quality! Excellent service.
- The Old Bridge Inn -- Dalfaber Road, behind the Railway station. Another of Aviemore's tradtional style pubs. Has an open fire in the evenings. Has outdoor seating area facing the river during the summer. Good food & beer, but a bit expensive for your average backpacker.
- The Winking Owl -- Grampian Road. Semi traditional in style and a bit rough round the edges, but serves yummy pub grub and has a good atmosphere.
- The Skiing-doo -- Grampian Road, near the Post Office. Theme bar with old signs, posters, skis and various other strange items adorning every surface. Great surf'n'turf!!! Try their Garlic Burgers! YUM!!
- The Vault -- Grampian Road, just down the stone steps near the public toilet/showers. Aviemore's only night club. Never deviates too far from popular chart music, but its probably the only place to go at the end of the night when all the other pubs close.
- Harkai's -- 45 Grampian Road, 5 mintues for the Youth Hostel on the way into town. Fish restuarant with connecting chip-shop take away. Good range of fish and good quality food.
Aviemore has many hotels and a couple of hostels to suit every need from the common travelling backpacker to corporate executive attending the local conference centre.
- Aviemore Youth Hostel,  -- 25 Grampian Road, PH22 1PR. Located as you enter Aviemore, the hostel offers budget dormitory accommodation as well limited private/ family rooms. 2am curfew. (0)870 004 1104
See "Eat & Drink" above.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!