Aurora is a city of 276,000 in the Denver Area of Colorado. As of 2010 is the 56th largest city in America. In 2008 it was named the "All American City" Aurora and Denver are the principal cities of the Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area, which in 2007 had an estimated population of 2,464,866. It is split between three diffrent counties spanning Arapahoe, Adams, and Douglas
It originated in the 1880s, as the town Fletcher, taking its name from Denver businessman Donald Fletcher who named the town after himself. He and his partners staked out four square miles east of Denver, He left two years later during the silver crash, leaving the community with a huge water debt. Inhabitants decided to rename their township Aurora in 1907. It has been growing ever since then and at one time was the fastest growing city in America.
The Climate in Aurora is one where you get to see all four seasons of weather. But to remember that it is very near the Rocky Mountains and weather can change very quickly from starting out sunny to snowing within a few hours.
Spring usually comes around May timeframe with varying weather patterns and chances of snow but usually the snow won't stick because of temperature
| Daily highs (°F)
| Nightly lows (°F)
| Precipitation (in)
Check Aurora's 7 day forecast at NOAA
Must-haves for winter in Aurora
Between November and March, pack the following:
- Thick jacket
- Long sleeve shirts
- Trousers, jeans, pants
On the colder days you need to maintain your core temperature, but your extremities will be where you feel the cold first. Bring the following:
- Toque (knit hat)
- Ear Muffs
- Woolen Socks
- Gloves, Mittens
With Aurora's considerable sprawl, car rentals are the most convenient form of transportation for visitors. Local companies tend to offer better prices, but national chains might be more convenient as far as return policies and hours.Rental companies include most major car rental chains
Drivers who are used to warmer climates should be advised that the colder weather months (Nov-Feb) often bring snow and ice to area roads. Visitors who park their cars should be prepared in case their car is "snowed in" by snow removal trucks. Also, strict attention to parking rules and snow emergencies is recommended to avoid being towed away at the car owner's expense. During the winter months, a snow brush, ice scraper, and plenty of windshield washer fluid is essential, and many natives opt to carry a shovel, some sand, and a bag of ice melt/road salt in the trunk just in case.
By plane then you are coming from Denver International Airport which isn't too far away. Denver International Airport , (IATA: DEN, ICAO: KDEN). Commonly referred to as DIA. It is located about 20 miles to the east of downtown Denver. Frontier Airlines, United Airlines, and Southwest Airlines all maintain hubs at the airport in Concourses A, B, and C respectively. Most other major domestic carriers also have service here.
You can get around with local transit as in the RTD.
Aurora has over a dozen historical sites to see , ranging from historical farms, buildings and homes.
- Aurora History Museum, 15051 E Alameda Pkwy, ☎ +1 303 739-6666. 9AM-4PM daily. The Aurora History Museum is a community-based cultural center featuring changing history and decorative arts exhibits with educational programs, tours, workshops and family events offered for all ages throughout the year. Free.
- Plains Conservation Center, 21901 E Hampden Ave, . Its an outdoor education area with 1100 acres, it shows the natural wonder of the Prairie. Free.
- The Morrison Nature Center at Star K Ranch, 16002 E Smith Rd, ☎ +1 303 739-2428. A 200 acre ranch and outdoor learning center. Free.
- The Aurora Fox ([email protected]), 9900 E Colfax Ave, ☎ +1 303 739-1970. Professional theatre in the heart of the East End Arts District.
- Golfing. Aurora has 7 golf courses throughout the city, perhaps the most famous one is the 18 hole Fitzsimons Golf Course on the former Army base, which President Eisenhower regarded as one of his favorites.
- Aurora Reservoir, 5800 S Powhaton Rd, ☎ +1 303 690-1286. A wide array of activities can be done here like fishing, sailing, non-motorized boating, windsurfing, a seasonal swim beach (Check website to see when open), SCUBA area, archery range, and large group picnic shelters, also has 8 miles of concrete trails around the reservoir.
- Cherry Creek State Park, 4201 S Parker Rd (One mile south of I-225 on Parker Rd at Lehigh, adjacent to south Denver), ☎ +1 303 690-1166 ([email protected]), . 5AM-10PM daily. An 880 acre Reservoir that offers a multitude of outdoor activities and unique activities such as horseback riding and a shooting range. You can also do boating, hiking, fishing, camping and biking.
- Quincy Reservoir, 18350 E Quincy Ave, ☎ +1 303 693-5463.
- Arapahoe Park Racetrack, 26000 E Quincy Ave (in southeast Aurora next to the Aurora Reservoir. From Denver, take I-25 south to toll road E-470. Exit E-470 on Quincy Ave (Exit 13) and follow the signs to the racetrack), ☎ +1 303 690-2400. Open from Memorial Day through the beginning of August. Live racing is held F-Su with a post time of 1PM. Colorado's only venue for forse racing. Dress code is casual. Serves food that you would find at most places: hot dogs, hamburgers etc.
- Aurora Skate Park, 2500 S Wheel Park Circle.
- Fourth of July Spectacular
- Asian Annual Film Festival
- Southlands, 6155 S Main St, ☎ +1 303 627-5000. Southlands is home to some of today's leading retailers and restaurants including Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, Coldwater Creek, Francesca's Collections, The Gap, J. Jill, McCabe's Irish Bistro & Pub, Ted's Montana Grill, Tilly's, Wine Experience Café and World Cellar Wine, Beer & Spirits and many more.
- Aurora Mall, 14200 E Alameda Ave, ☎ +1 303 344-4120. Your typical mall its two stories and has most of the stores that you would see in your typical American mall.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:
|| $10 or less
|| $20 or more
Aurora has alot of your typical fast food joints that you find around the country Wendys, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell etc
- Pho, well here the thing about PHO its Vietnamese noodles and its very good. Throughout Aurora and the surronding area you will places that say PHO followed by a number which they are all same but with diffrent names
- Sam's No 3, 2580 S Havana St, ☎ +1 303 751-0347, . Was featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the episode “Porktastic”. Known around the area for its Green Chili. Serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Serves a mix of American and Mexican food with some Greek specialties.
- RevneD BBQ Company, 15102-B E Hampden Ave, ☎ +1 303 400-0606, . Family owned BBQ.
- Rosie's Diner, 14061 E Iliff Ave, ☎ +1 303 752-3663, . The definition of a classic American diner.
- Carrabba's Italian Grill, 2088 S Abilene St (I-225 to Iliff Rd. Go east 1/2 block. Go north on Abilene 1/4 mile. Located on east side of road), ☎ +1 303 338-8600. 4PM-11PM daily. Carrabba's serves fresh, flavorful Italian dishes prepared from the finest ingredients sourced from around the world.
- Sushi Katsu, 2222 S Havana St #H, ☎ +1 303 368-8778, . This is a all you can eat sushi joint that serves delicious sushi and other Japanese food. Its $26 per person at dinner time and at lunch its half that.
- China Jade, 12203 E Iliff Ave #D, ☎ +1 303 755-8518.
- Seoul BBQ, 2080 S Havana St, ☎ +1 303 632-7576, . Korean BBQ.
- Bender's Brat Haus Inc, 700 S Buckley Rd #A, ☎ +1 303 872-3569. M-W 10AM-4PM, Th-Sa 1AM-8AM.
- The Summit Steak and Seafood House, 2700 S Havana St, ☎ +1 303 751-2112, . The Summit is known around Aurora for its steaks and its atmosphere. Also has a fully stocked bar to the side.
- Club Mixx, 11249 E Colfax Ave, ☎ +1 303 366-2771.
- Stampede, 2430 S Havana St, ☎ +1 303 696-7686, . A local country club where you can do line dancing. It;s pretty large with a few bars inside. Also has a mesquite grill restaraunt you can eat. Its ladies nights are known for drawing a huge crowd.
- Patrick's Restaurant and Night Club, 1770 S Buckley Rd #4, ☎ +1 303 745-4120.
- Sheabeen Irish Pub, 2300 S Chambers Rd #A, ☎ +1 303 696-6131, . Has a few pool tables and electronic video games like Deer Hunter, also does karoke on Sundays that is themed.
- Rack'em Billiards And Sports Bar, 1919 S Havana St, ☎ +1 303 755-7675. Has over a dozen pool tables, also has dart boards and foosball. Also does beer pong tournaments on Thursdays.
- Best Western Gateway Inn & Suites, 800 S Abilene St, +1 720 748-4800, Fax: +1 720 748-9145, .
- Cambria Suites Denver Airport, 16001 E 40th Circle, +1 303 576-9600, Fax: +1 303 889-9702, . The Denver Airport hotel in Aurora, CO is 10 miles from Denver International Airport (DIA).
- Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park, 16455 E 40th Circle, +1 303 371-4333, Toll-free: +1 888 238-2454, Fax: +1 303 371-1134, .
- Doubletree Hotel, 13696 East Iliff Pl, ☎ +1 303 337-2800, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: noon.
- Fairfield Inn, 13851 E Harvard Ave, +1 303 745-6700, Fax: +1 303 745-6777, .
- Motel 6, 14031 E Iliff Ave, +1 303 873-0286, Fax: +1 303 695-4526, .
- Red Liont, 3200 S Parker Rd, ☎ +1 303 695-1700 ([email protected]), . Wireless Internet access, telephones with voice mail, cable TV with premium movies, iron/ironing boards.
Aurora is part of the 303 and the 720 area codes
Like the rest of the United States, the emergency number in Aurora is 911. This will connect you to the local emergency services (police, medical, and fire). If you need to report a crime to the police, such as a burglary (not in progress), minor assault (no injuries and not in progress), car theft, etc. Dial +1 720 913-2000 and request for police assistance.
The Aurora Police is the main police force.
Contrary to what many people around Colorado would tell you, Aurora is not a bad, crime-ridden area. DO NOT attempt to roam northern Aurora past midnight. As in any city, use common sense. Simply using caution and avoiding any situation in which you are uncomfortable will keep you out of trouble.