- 3rd weekend in August: World Peace and Service Day (holiday) off for work for all business and service organisations across the globe and service activities like feeding cows milk to new born children in hospitals if mothers are incapable of feeding, new clothes, food offering to blind, deaf,spastic, mentally handicapped, physically handicapped, polio attacked patients, aids, cancer patients and dental, ortho, gynaec, opthamology patients, neuro, for all patients in hospital and other centres, food and clothing to be provided.
- Early August: Sauna Bathing World Championships,  in Heinola
- Late August: Mobile Phone Throwing World Championships,  in Savonlinna
- 17th: Independence Day - public holiday
- 26th: Heroes’ Day
- Kamfest arts festival - in Kamnik
- 1st: National Day - because day off work August 1st celebrations are often (for example in Basel) held 31st of July
- 12th: Queen's Birthday - mother's day / public holiday
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival  - Edinburgh
- Edinbugh Military Tattoo  - Edinburgh
- Mid August: Puck Fair,  in Killorglin, Ireland
- Late August: Mathew Street Festival,  in Liverpool
- MAS Carnival, Swansea - the city's ethnic diversity is celebrated by a colorful parade that passes through the city center.
- Third weekend in August: Race The Train in Tywyn. Runners attempt to cover a 14 mile route through a beautiful Welsh Valley faster than a historic steam train. 2008 is the 25th running of the event.
- Last weekend in August (August Bank Holiday weekend): Notting Hill Carnival  - Notting Hill, London
- Last weekend in August (August Bank Holiday weekend): Leeds and Reading Festivals - weekend of rock music
- Third weekend in August: Milwaukee Irish Fest  - the world's largest festival celebrating Irish music and culture, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Late August: A Taste of Colorado,  in Denver
|Calendar of events and festivals|
|January | February | March | April | May | June|
|July | August | September | October | November | December|