Downtown Atlanta is the central area of Atlanta, as well as the center of Georgia. Downtown is home to the Georgia State Capitol, City Hall, and headquarters of numerous corporations. Despite the rise of Midtown and Buckhead, Downtown still contains much of the commercial activity of the city. All the places to see here are within 10 minutes walk of each other, and within a similar walking distance of any of the MARTA stations at Five Points, Peachtree Center or Omni-Dome-World-Congress Center.
Downtown Atlanta is vast and can be further broken down into subdistricts. The following subdistricts have their own articles:
Downtown Atlanta is located 7 miles (11 km) from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Interstate 75/85 runs directly through Atlanta, providing numerous exits into the downtown streets. Downtown Atlanta can also be accessed by MARTA trains and buses. The Five Points Station is where the North-South Line and the East-West Line intersect. Other MARTA rail stations in the Downtown area include Peachtree Center (N1) and Civic Center (N2) on the North-South Line, and Georgia State (E1) and Dome/GWCC/Philips Arena/CNN Center Station (W1) on the East-West Line.
- AtlanTIX Same Day, Half-Price Tickets, 65 Upper Alabama St SW (Located in the Atlanta Visitor's Center at Underground Atlanta), ☎ 404-588-9890, . Tu-Sa 11AM-6PM, Su 12PM-4PM. AtlanTIX offers same-day, half-price tickets to performing arts events and cultural attractions. Tickets can be purchased at the booth or online.
- Centennial Olympic Park, ☎ +1 404 222-7275, . The focal point of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games, Centennial Park has now become the center for tourism. Georgia Aquarium, the New World of Coke, CNN Center, Phillips Arena and Georgia Tech are all in walking distance of the park. In the winter the park features an ice skating rink and in the summer there are free concerts.
- Georgia State Capitol, 214 State Capitol, ☎ +1 404 656-2844, . Native gold from Lumpkin County tops the dome of the [Georgia State Capitol Building.] This restored 1889 building houses a museum which collects, maintains and exhibits significant artifacts, including a priceless collection of Georgia's state flags.
- The King Center and Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site, 449 Auburn Ave, NE, ☎ +1 404 526-8900, . The memorial of Martin Luther King Jr. Which was established in 1968. The place shows Martin Luther King, Jr's nonviolent Social Change works. The historic site features a museum and preserves the neighborhood that includes Dr. King's birth home and Ebenezer Baptist Church.
- Rialto Center for the Arts, 80 Forsyth St, NW, ☎ +1 404 413-9TIX, . Georgia State University is the home of the 833-seat Rialto Center for the Arts. The venue is host to jazz music concerts and dance performances as well as performances by Georgia State's School of Music and the home of the Atlanta Film Festival.
- Underground Atlanta, 50 Upper Alabama Ave, . Housed entirely underground, this shopping and entertainment district is a bustling hub for retail activity during the day and clubbing at night.
- VSA arts of Georgia, 199 Armour Dr, ☎ +1 404-221-1270, . A non-profit gallery and art space providing access to the arts for people with disabilities and those of low income.
- Theatrical Outfit, 84 Luckie St, NW, ☎ +1 404 577-5257, . Theatrical Outfit entertains their audience by producing classic and contemporary theater with an emphasis on work indigenous to the culture of the American South. It's also certified as the first "green" theater in the country by the US Green Building Council.
- The New World of Coca-Cola, 121 Baker St (next to the Georgia Aquarium), ☎ +1 404 676-5151, . M-Sa 9AM-5PM (9AM-6PM during Summer) Su 11AM-5PM.. The museum is largely dedicated to the advertising history of Coca Cola. Experience the reach of the world's most iconic brand in a new, highly interactive expanded space open in May 2007. $15 (adult); $13 (senior); $9 (ages 5-12); under 5 free and admission includes access to all exhibits and a commemorative Coke bottle). Booking online saves $1 as well as gets you a time slot due to increased traffic to the new exhibit.
- Georgia Aquarium, 225 Baker St. NW, ☎ +1 404 581-4000, . Su-Th 9AM-6PM, F 9AM-10PM, Sa 8AM-8PM. The largest aquarium in the world with over a hundred thousand animals in 8 million gallons of water. The Aquarium recently added a new swim and dive activity called "Journey with Gentle Giants." It is the only opportunity in the world to swim with whale sharks, the largest fish in the world. Adult $29.50, Children (3-12) $22, Senior (55+) $25.50.
- Imagine It! Children's Museum of Atlanta, (at Pemberton Place next to Centennial Park), . M-F 10AM-4PM, Sa-Su 10AM-5PM. The Children’s Museum of Atlanta creates environments and activities where young children experience the power of imagination and the pure delight of learning with each other and with grown-ups. $11.00 (adult), Children under the age of 2 are free..
- Philips Arena, . Covering 4.4 acres, Philips Arena is Atlanta's state-of-the-art multi purpose sports and entertainment complex. Home to the NBA's Atlanta Hawks, the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers, and the WNBA's Atlanta Dream. Philips also hosts concerts and other major events.
- Atlanta Hawks, .
- Atlanta Thrashers, .
- Atlanta Dream, .
- CNN Center, One CNN Center, ☎ +1 404 827-2300, . M-Su 9AM-5PM (tours). The world headquarters of CNN shares the CNN Center with a large tourist oriented shopping mall and food court. Here you can eat food from around the world whilst watching CNN's multi-channel output to the world on large screens. In addition studio tours are available, which include demonstrations of the technology used and visits to viewing galleries overlooking the newsrooms and newsreaders of CNN, CNN Headline News and CNN En Espanol. $12 (adult); $11 (senior); $9 (child).
- Sun Dial, 210 Peachtree St, ☎ +1 404 589-7506, . Have a Georgia Peach Martini atop the revolving restaurant bar of the Westin Peachtree Plaza, and watch the sunset followed by entertainment provided by a jazz band.
- Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome, . The Atlanta Falcons have created a host of exciting game-day experiences and affordable family ticket packages for the fans. The 1998 NFC Champions, the Atlanta Falcons, gear up each September to kick off the official season. The Georgia Dome  has hosted numerous events including parts of the 1996 Summer Olympics, Super Bowl XXXIV, the annual Chic-fil-A Bowl and the Sugar Bowl.
- Underground Atlanta, 50 Upper Alabama St, . This popular tourist attraction is literally underground and is close to other downtown attractions such as the World of Coca-Cola and the Georgia Aquarium. Tour and local attraction tickets are available for purchase at several kiosks in the Underground, as well as shopping at a variety of unique retail stores.
- CNN Center, One CNN Center, . The atrium at the entrance of the CNN Center offers a few gift shops on the lower level. A great spot for buying souvenirs that display Georgia, as well as collectible figurines of your favorite Cartoon Network characters at the Turner Store.
- AmericasMart, 240 Peachtree St, NW, . AmericasMart is comprised of four buildings that are open to trade only: the Atlanta Gift Mart, Atlanta Merchandise Mart, Atlanta Apparel Mart and Inforum. Each year, AmericasMart hosts more than 400,000 retailers from every state and more than 70 countries around the world in 17 home furnishings, gift, floor covering and apparel markets.
- Dailey's, 17 (Andrew Young) International Blvd, ☎ +1 404 681-3303, . An old Atlanta landmark with nightly entertainment. Be sure to check out the dessert bar.
- Sops on Ellis, 141 Carnegie Way, ☎ +1 404 525-8624. Salad, soups and sandwiches, the name Sops comes from the act of "sopping up" leftover soup with bread. The chef is formerly of Atlanta's Loaf and Kettle
- Hard Rock Cafe Atlanta, 215 Peachtree St, ☎ +1 404-688-7625, . The Atlanta branch of the world-famous chain, featuring over 300 pieces of rock memorabilia and burgers, ribs and malts.
- Jalapeno Charlie's, 218 Peachtree St, NW, ☎ 404-581-0884, . Latino-Mexican dining experience with authentic Latin art and music to add to the atmosphere.
- Rosa's Pizza, 62 Broad Street, NW, ☎ +1 404 521-2596, . Hole-in-the-wall lunchtime favorite pizzeria for pizza, calzones or lasagna. It's a little bit of "authentic" New York on beautiful Broad Street.
- Thumbs Up Diner, 573 Edgewood Ave, SE, ☎ +1 404 223-0690, . Known for its great breakfast options, the line is often out the door. Check the house rules before going!
- Atlanta Grill, 181 Peachtree St, NE (inside the Ritz-Carlton), ☎ +1 404 659-0400, . Artistic and warm decor with a menu that offers steaks and seafood. Seasonal balcony dining is available overlooking Peachtree Street, but if you're looking for a more intimate setting, try their "Cheater's Booth" complete with privacy draperies.
- Azio, 229 Peachtree St, ☎ (404) 222-0808, . Hearty Italian fare at reasonable prices and served in generous portions. The atmosphere is low lighting and close seating, but try and grab a table near the window, which is a prime spot for viewing the bustling Atlanta nightlife.
- City Grill, 50 Hurt Plaza (inside the Hurt Building), ☎ +1 404 524-2489, . Nouvelle Southern cuisine in a beautiful historic space, the City Grill has fine dining made with local and organic ingredients.
- Fire of Brazil, 218 Peachtree St, NW, ☎ +1 404 525-5255, . An authentic Brazilian steakhouse with 6,000 square feet of dining area. Gaucho-style service reigns supreme as servers bring by cuts of beef, lamb, chicken or pork for you to choose from.
- Luckie Food Lounge, 375 Luckie St, NW (across the street from the Georgia Aquarium), ☎ +1 404 525-5825, . This huge new restaurant features American cuisine, seven miles of LED lighting, a 600 gallon curved aquarium with rare species of fish, a sushi bar, rooftop sky deck, live music stage, and all-day dining.
- Max Lager's American Grill and Brewery, 320 Peachtree St, ☎ +1 404 525-4400, . The 10,000-square-foot, turn-of-the-century industrial building helps highlight the copper and brass brewery; the patio, deck, and large windows overlook Hardy Ivy Park.
- Pacific Rim Bistro, 303 Peachtree Center Ave, ☎ +1 404 893-0018, . Pan-Asian menu, sushi bar and pleasant covered patio downtown near the major hotels.
- The Peasant Bistro, 250 Park Avenue West, ☎ +1 404 230-1724, . Part of the Peasant Restaurants, this older restaurant (by Atlanta standards) offers seasonal cuisine with continental influences in an intimate romantic dining room.
- Ray's In the City, 240 Peachtree St, ☎ +1 404 524-9224, . Seafood diners have enjoyed Ray's on the River in Sandy Springs, GA for years. The same experience is now in the heart of Downtown Atlanta at their remodeled location on Peachtree Street.
- The Sun Dial, 210 Peachtree St, ☎ +1 404 589-7506, . Perched 723 feet atop the tallest hotel in the Western Hemisphere (the Westin Peachtree Atlanta), this restaurant is known primarily for its breathtaking views and slowly rotates around on a platform 360 degrees. Frequented by tourists and popular for Sunday brunch.
- Thrive, 101 Marietta St, ☎ +1 404 389-1000, . Upscale, casual restaurant in Centennial Tower. Traditional American fare with an Asian twist.
- Fogao Gaucho, 84 Peachtree St, ☎ +1 404 477-1700. A Brazilian steakhouse in the historic Flatiron Building (older than New York's Flatiron Building!)
- French American Brasserie - FAB, 30 Ivan Allen Jr Blvd (inside the Southern Company Building), ☎ +1 404 266-1440, . This is Fabrice Vergez’s reincarnation of Lenox Square's Brasserie Le Coze. The menu will be familiar to loyal customers -- French standards like niçoise salad, foie gras, skate and white bean soup complement new entrees like steaks and chops.
- Morton’s of Chicago - Atlanta, 303 Peachtree Center Ave (at the Suntrust Plaza Building), ☎ +1 404 577-4366. The famous chophouse of Chicago features steak, lobster and veal.
- Nikolai's Roof, 255 Courtland St, NE (inside the Atlanta Hilton), ☎ +1 404 221-6362, . this glamorous AAA four-diamond restaurant serves French cuisine from a popular prix fixe menu and a limited a la carte menu.
- Trader Vic's, 255 Courtland St, NE (inside the Atlanta Hilton,), ☎ +1 404 221-6339. This South Pacific-themed restaurant features Polynesian cuisine and Mai Tais.
- Prime Meridian, 100 CNN Center (inside the Omni Hotel), ☎ +1 404 659-0000. Dine on local specialties (fried green tomatoes) or try one of their internationally inspired dishes, all while taking in a view of the Centennial Olympic Park.
- The Mark, 79 Poplar St, ☎ +1 678 904 0050 ([email protected]), . Chic ultra-lounge is in the Farlie-Poplar area of Atlanta and entertains patrons with funk, disco and dance music with an urban background of waterfalls and interactive plasma televisions.
- Alley Cat, 50 Upper Alabama St NW (inside Underground Atlanta), ☎ +1 678 904-2514. A great venue at Underground Atlanta that features a rock n’ roll atmosphere with sexily clad waitresses who perform dance routines at 1AM.
- Irish Bred Pub, 74 Upper Alabama St NW (inside Underground Atlanta), ☎ +1 404 521-6161. Serves standard pub food with some Irish add-ons to the menu and the occasional sing-along show on weeknights.
- Latitudes Bistro and Lounge, 100 CNN Center (inside the Omni Hilton), ☎ +1 404 659-0000. If you're attending a conference, sporting event, or just taking in the downtown sights, Latitudes is a great place for meet-ups or night-caps. On weekdays they cater to patrons seeking coffee and pastries.
- Castleberry Inn, 186 Northside Dr. SW, ☎ +1 404 893-4663, . A downtown hotel located inside the historic arts district featuring 168 rooms including standard rooms, adjoining rooms as well as spacious queen and king suites. Walking distance to art galleries, restaurants, the Georgia Dome, the World Congress Center, and other attractions.
- Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown Atlanta, 161 Spring St NW, ☎ +1 404 589-1111, . Built into a historic office building, this Hampton Inn is close to all downtown attractions and features complimentary wireless internet for business travelers.
- Renaissance Atlanta Hotel Downtown, 590 West Peachtree Street NW, ☎ +1 404 881-6000, . The Renaissance Atlanta Hotel has skyline views, a balcony pool, and over 31,000 square feet of event space.
- The Glenn Hotel, 110 Marietta St NW, ☎ +1 866 404-5366, . Sexy new downtown boutique hotel CNN Center, Philips Arena, Georgia Dome, and Georgia Bar and within walking distance to the Georgia World Congress Center and Centennial Olympic Park as well as the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coke.
- Omni Hotel at CNN Center, 100 CNN Center, Atlanta, Georgia 30303, ☎ +1 404-659-0000 ([email protected], fax: +1 404-525-5050), . The hotel is close to major sporting venues (the Georgia Dome and the Philips Arena) and has a view of the Centennial Olympic Park. They also host weddings!
- Hyatt Regency Atlanta, 265 Peachtree St. NE, ☎ +1 404 577-1234 (fax: +1 404 588-4137), . Rooms with city views, numerous meeting room and ballroom space for any occasion, dining and entertainment in an atrium setting, and a revolving bar/restaurant on top under a glass dome.
- NYLO Hotels, 260 Peachtree St, ☎ +1 404 221-0600, . NYLO Hotels offers modern boutique lodging with loft style accommodations and chic facilities for meetings and events.
- The Ellis Hotel, 176 Peachtree Street NW Atlanta, GA 30303, ☎ 404-523-5155, . The Ellis Hotel features a women’s only floor, 127 guest rooms, including 12 junior suites and an executive suite, all adorned with a palette of Georgia-inspired earth tones and sleek designs characteristic of boutique style yet comfy and functional.
Downtown Atlanta is relatively safe compared to many of the surrounding areas. Statistics have shown that downtown crime continues to decrease, contradicting the recent citywide statistics. Certain precautions should still be taken such as not traveling alone at night and be aware of suspicious activity. A more common activity that may be intimidating to visitors is pan-handling, which is mostly harmless.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!