Athens is a small town and county seat of Athens County Southeast Ohio, best known for being home to Ohio University. The university was the first founded west of the Appalachian Mountains in 1804.
- Port Columbus International Airport (CMH), take US-33, approximately 70 miles, from Columbus.
SR 33 and SR 50 intersect at Athens.
- Athens is a small town that can be easily traversed by foot.
Arts and Culture
- The OU Bobcats compete in the Mid-American Conference of NCAA Division I-A College Athletics.
- Casa Nueva, 4 W. State St., . Great "Mexican" food, vegan and vegetarian options, dedicated to using local resources.
- Lam's Garden, 934 E. State St., (740) 594-4424 for takeout. Excellent American Chinese cuisine, the best General Tso's Chicken in the universe.
- Lui Lui's 8 Station St. Decent Asian and American fusion.
- Toscano's 4 Depot St. Good Italian food for lunch, has a nice and reasonable lunch buffet. Dinners are usually overpriced for the quality.
- The Oak Room 14 Station St. Nice small bar with OK food for lunch, dinners are overpriced. Has a nice selections of beers on tap for its size.
There are many bars on Court Street located near Ohio University's College Green.
- Burr Oak State Park Lodge
Bed & Breakfast
- Burr Oak State Park, Athens County, north of Glouster and east/adjacent to the Wayne National Forest off of Route 13. A variety of overnight accommodations, lodge, cottages and campground. Lodge: Sixty guest rooms, five meeting rooms, a dining room, full-service lounge, gift shop, swimming beach, tennis courts, playground equipment, boat launch ramp and indoor pool. Cottages: 30 family cottages, air conditioning, cable tv, sleeps six people, bath/shower, living room, complete kitchen, dining area, screened porch. Linens, towels, cooking, eating utensils are furnished. Camping: 100 non-electric campsites, showers, flush toilets, twenty one primitive sites, pet camping. Fishing, hunting, swimming, beach, bathhouse, showers, changing booths, snack bar, twenty-eight miles of hiking trails, Burr Oak Backpack Trail, horseshoe court and playground.
- Lake Hope State Park, eastern Vinton County, approx. 20 miles west of Athens. Lake Hope State Park is entirely within the 26,824-acre Zaleski State Forest and adjacent to part of the Wayne National Forest. Dining lodge: destroyed by fire 2006. Being rebuilt. Cottages: 72 cottages, all cottages have linens, towels, complete kitchens, microwave ovens, heat, air conditioning, outdoor grills and fire rings. Camping: 219-site campground, heated showerhouses, pit latrines, waste disposal, laundry facilities, picnic tables, fire rings, forty-six sites have electric hookups, pet camping, three Rent-A-Camp units, one camper-cabin, one Rent-A-Tepee. Boats with electric motors only, 120 acre lake, canoes, kayaks, and rowboats, available for rent. Swimming beach, beachhouse, sun deck, restrooms, concession building, fishing, hunting, seventeen miles of hiking trails, 21-mile backpack trail with primitive campsites, thirty-three miles of bridle trail and 23-mile singletrack bike trail.
Go to Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh or West Virginia.