A good way to trace through the history of Armenia, the Armenia Heritage Trail is a suggested itinerary of places which try to chronologically take you through the long and rich history of Armenia.
- Erebuni - Urartian fortress which established the city of Yerevan in 782 B.C.
- Cave in Khosrov - (optional) cave deep in Khosrov Forest State Preserve with pre-Christian inhabitation.
- Garni Temple - First century Roman temple in Garni village.
- Khor Virap - Monastery at the foot of biblical Mt. Ararat, where St. Gregory the Illuminator was imprisoned in a deep pit until he converted the Armenian King and thus nation to the first Christian country in the world.
- Dvin - ruined capital of Armenia.
- Echmiadzin (3 main churches) - Seat of the Catholicos (Patriarch) of the Armenian Church.
- Ashtarak churches
- Kasagh Basilica
- Migoyan Museum
- Dilijan (lay architecture - pre-soviet and soviet)
- Dilijan (Sanatoriums, cinematographers house, other Soviet architecture)
- Republic Square/Yerevan Opera House
- S. Grigor Luysavorich Cathedral
- Northern Avenue
Other options off the route
- Gyumri Tsarist architecture