Piazza Grande - Arezzo's historical centre
Arezzo is a city in Tuscany, Italy that was an important Etruscan town. It was known to the Romans as Arretium. Arezzo was made in the 11th cent. a free commune, siding with the Ghibellines.
Nowadays is an agricultural trade center and has machine, clothing, gold, and jewelry industries and is also a tourist center.
Arezzo can be reached by flying to Italian major international airports in Rome and Milan, or to the two airports in Tuscany:
- Pisa International Airport Galileo Galilei (IATA:PSA) , located 1.5km (1 mile) north of Pisa city centre.
- Florence Airport Amerigo Vespucci (IATA:FLR) , Located four kilometers from the center of Florence.
Arezzo's train station which is located at the edge of the historic old town, offers frequent connections to cities like Florence and Rome.
Arezzo's historic old town is small enough to explore on foot. If you have a rental car, you can park in one of the municipal lots for under ten Euros for the entire day, then walk up into the historic centre. WARNING: Arezzo is atop a steep incline, and you will feel as though you are walking uphill pretty much everywhere. Wear comfortable shoes.
ATAM  runs the city bus service (there is also a "Centro Storico" line that covers the historic old town).
The Taxi service is efficient and not too much expensive.
- Piazza Grande, the most beautiful square in Arezzo, is surrounded by marvelous old buildings and hosts the Giostra del Saracino twice a year.
- Arezzo Cathedral (Duomo), Piazza del Duomo. Daily 7AM-12:30PM and 3-6:30PM.
- Church of San Francesco, Piazza San Francesco, Tel. +39-0575-20630.
- Church of Santa Maria della Pieve, Corso Italia 7, Tel. +39-0575-22629.
- Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, via S. Maria delle Grazie 1.
- Museo del Duomo, (on the back side of the Duomo).
- Museo Archeologico "Gaio Cilnio Mecenate", Via Margaritone 10
- Museo Statale d'Arte Medievale e Moderna, Via San Lorentino 8
- House-Museum of Ivan Bruschi , Corso Italia 14
Of Cultural Interest
- Casa del Petrarca Only open if you knock and ask nicely if you can come in; this is the home of famous Italian medieval poet Petrarch. Hours vary depending on the mood of the proprietor, but it is totally worth it.
- La Vita è Bella Roberto Begnini's Academy Award-winning film was shot here in Arezzo, and as you proceed through the city centre, you will see colorful signs featuring pictures from the film at the specific locations of actual filming. Spend at least an hour wandering from sign to sign.
- The Antiques Fair  that occupies Piazza Grande and many of the streets leading to it, with an array of some 500 stalls by which is fun to browse though. Arriving by car it's best to leave it in the Pietri free parking lot and go up to the Duomo on the escalator.
- Dates: Takes place on the first Sunday and the Saturday preceding it of every month -
- 03-04 March 2007
- 31 March - 01 April 2007
- 05-06 May 2007
- 02-03 June 2007
- 30 June - 01 July 2007
- 04-05 August 2007
- 01-02 September 2007
- 06-07 October 2007
- 03-04 November 2007
- 01-02 December 2007
- Not being a big touristic city like Firenze it is most recommended to stroll in the charming old city center along the small alleys and enjoy its quiet streets. a good panoramic view of the city can be seen from the tower of "Palazzo dei Priori" in Piazza della Libertà, or walking through the "Il Prato" park up to the Medicea fortress.
- Arezzo is home to an annual medieval festival called the Joust of the Saracens (Giostra del Saracino). In this, "knights" on horseback representing different areas of the town charge at a wooden target attached to a carving of a Saracen king and score points according to accuracy. Virtually all the town's people dress-up in medieval costume and enthusiastically cheer on the competitors.
- Dates: The third Sunday of June and on the first Sunday of September - 23 June (by night) and 2 September 2007.
- Arezzo is also home to an annual popular music and culture festival, each July (17-22 July 2007), called ArezzoWave. Publicly funded, it attracts bands of high repute and attendees from all over Europe and North America. It also features literary and film expositions. From summer 2007 Arezzo Wave will move to Florence.
- The Arezzo Festival  - an annual summer theatre festival that brings together emerging professional and university-based performance groups from all over the world.
Arezzo is famous for his cuisine too. The most famous dishes of Arezzo are Acquacotta, a bread soup made with porcini mushrooms and Ribollita, a bread soup made with many different vegetables but you can also taste the wonderful Chianina Steak and all sort of pastas. Arezzo's wines are also very appreciated all around the world.
- La Taverna del Pittore, via Vittorio Veneto n.72, ☎ +39-0575-908050. 19:00-23:00. € 15-30.
- il paradisino, delle paniere, Tel. +39-348-6412433, Fax +39-0575-295567. Rates: Double €50-60.
- Peter Pan Hostel, "Villa Severi", Via F. Redi, 13, Tel. +39-0575-299047, Fax +39-0575-299047, email: [email protected] Rates: Adult: Full Board €35, Half Board €27, Night €15, Breakfast €1.60; Cildren until 8y: Full Board €30, Half Board €23, Night €15.
- Hotel Euro, , Località Pieve S. Stefano, Arezzo, Tel. +39 0575.797055 Fax +39 0575.797166. The Hotel is the best solution for indipendent travellers and also for groups of people who wants to discover Tuscan Arts and Heritage, culture, traditions and religion sights.
- Residence Il Pozzeto, Via Casale, 16 Località Preconne 52031 Anghiari (Arezzo), ☎ 0575 723248 (fax: 0575 724351), . In Preconne, a small village between Arezzo Cortona, and S. Sepolcro, you can find IL POZZETO, a wonderful residence which is the result of the refurbishment of an architectural work.
- Hotel Relais Villa Belpoggio, . Just outside the town of Loro Ciuffenna, 35 km south of Florence and 33 km north of Arezzo. Easily reachable in 25 minutes by train or car from Florence.
- Castelletto di Montebenichi Locality Montebenichi, Bucine, Ph. +39.055.9910110 Fax +39.055.9910113. . A luxury hotel in an antique castle in the heart of Chianti. Standard double room €250.
- Etrusco Palace Hotel, Via Fleming 39. Tel. +39-0575-984066, Fax. +39-0575-382131, email: [email protected] Rates: €143-214.
- Hotel & Apartment Villa Cassia Di Baccano, Via Setteponti Levante, 132. Tel. +39-055-9772310, Fax +39-055-9772898, email: [email protected] Single €113-180, Double €157-260, Triple €171-290, Quadriple (2 bathrooms) €190-330.
- Il Saracino - charming apartment in the Old Town of Arezzo: 3-room apartment 70 m2 on 2 levels, on the ground floor, comfortable, tasteful and stylish furnishings. Dogs accepted. For more information, visit www.tuscany-holidays.info.
Tourism agency of Arezzo - Piazza Risorgimento, 116 Tel: 0575.23952/3 Fax: 0575.28042,
Information offices - Piazza della Repubblica, 28 Tel: 0575.377678 Fax: 0575.20839,
Centro Accoglienza e Informazioni Turistiche - Via Ricasoli Tel: 0575.377829