Arecibo's radio telescope
Arecibo is a municipality on the north coast of Puerto Rico, best known for its giant radio telescope.
Arecibo is about 80 km (an hour's drive) west of San Juan along Highway 22.
- Arecibo Observatory, (approximately ten miles south of town), ☎ 878-2612, . W-F 9AM-4PM, and most holidays. On a mountainous and somewhat isolated (but fairly well signposted) road, the Arecibo Observatory is home to the world's largest radio telescope, operated by SRI International, USRA and UMET, under a cooperative agreement with the National Science Foundation. The visitor's center is decent with working bilingual exhibits. There are no tours of the telescope itself, however you can view the telescope from a platform and view a free informative video. Bring an umbrella, in case of rain. Also be sure to have comfortable walking shoes for the 500 steps up the mountain. Don't let the 500 steps up the mountain put you off if you have a disability etc. - if you are unable to walk that distance, you can get a ride up (and down) with a security guard on request. Adults $10, children and seniors $6.
- Rio Camuy Cave Park. Nestled in the forests south of Arecibo is the Rio Camuy Cave Park. This is one of the largest cave systems in the world. Bring your lunch with you as there is a wait, but it is well worth it. Wear shoes with grip because the cave is damp and slippery. Watch out for guano
Plaza del Atlantico
Ave Miramar (PR 2) @ Ave San Daniel
Arecibo, Puerto Rico 00612
Plaza del Atlántico is a 224,908 sf retail property located in Arecibo County at Ave Miramar (PR 2) at Ave San Daniel in Arecibo, PR. It have stores like , Big Kmart, Anna's Linnens, Capri and Radio Shack.
Rocky coastline near Salitro
- Salitre Meson Costero, Highway 681, Km 3.8, ☎ 787-816-2020, . Seaside restaurant with views of the lighthouse, specializing in fresh seafood cooked to order. Indoor and outdoor seating. $15-30.
- Salpicon Bar & Restaurant, Rd #681 Km 13.7, ☎ 939-940-9766. 12-10pm. Ocean views while enjoying a Piña Colada, also has an casual elegant dining room - The Fried Red Snapper is reported to be good. 10-25.
- Ponce lies Southeast of Arecibo and is a two hour drive through the jungle, on sometimes questionable roads.