Architecture is concerned with the design and construction of buildings. The architecture of a place is often a tourist attraction in its own right. Some consider buildings beautiful to look at while others consider the view from a tall building to be a beauty to behold.
Historic buildings often tell their own story and provide a place with a heritage that asks the visitor to find out more.
- The Pyramids
- The Parthenon
Some buildings are unique....
- The Leaning Tower of Pisa
Cathederals, temples and other places of worship have, until recently, been among the most notable and longest lasting forms of architecture.
There are a large number of buildings for civic or governmental purposes. These include:
- Seats of Government
- Transportation Centres such as railway stations and airports
Around the world, commemorative structures are amongst the most notable tourist attractions. For example:
- The Taj Mahal
- War Memorials
Building the tallest building in the world is every architect's dream (or perhaps nightmare) project, as it will eventually be topped by an even taller structure.
- Taipei 101, Taipei, Taiwan (Built 2004) 101 storeys 509m
- Petronas Tower 1, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Built 1998) 88 storeys 452m
- Petronas Tower 2, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Built 1998) 88 storeys 452m
- Sears Tower, Chicago (Built 1974) 110 storeys 442m
- Jin Mao Building, Shanghai (Built 1999) 88 storeys 421m
- Two International Finance Centre, Hong Kong (Built 2003) 88 storeys 415m
- CITIC Plaza, Guangzhou, China (Built 1996) 80 storeys 391m
- Shun Hing Square, Shenzhen, China (Built 1996) 69 storeys 384m
- Empire State Building, New York (Built 1931) 102 storeys 381m
- Central Plaza, Hong Kong (Built 1992) 78 storeys 374m
- CN Tower, Toronto, Canada (Built 1975) 553m
- Ostankino Tower, Moscow, Russia (Built 1967) 537m
- Oriental Pearl Tower, Shanghai, China (Built 1995) 468m
- Sky Tower, Auckland, New Zealand (Built 1997) 328m - Tallest in southern hemisphere.
- Sydney Tower, at Centrepoint, Sydney, Australia (Built 1981) 305m
- Eiffel Tower, Paris, France (Built 1889) 300m - when built, 324m with TV antenna.