This is a WikiTravel travel topic.
Architecture is concerned with the design and construction of buildings. The architecture of a place is often a tourist attraction in its own right. Some consider buildings beautiful to look at while others consider the view from a tall building to be a beauty to behold.
Historic buildings often tell their own story and provide a place with a heritage that asks the visitor to find out more.
- The Pyramids
- The Parthenon
- The Great Wall of China
Some buildings are unique....
- The Leaning Tower of Pisa
Cathederals, temples and other places of worship have, until recently, been among the most notable and longest lasting forms of architecture.
- Bodhgaya, Bihar State, India - the site where Shakyamuni Buddha gained enlightenment.
- The Great Stupa of Bodhnath', Kathmandu - the heart of Vajrayana Buddhism in Nepal.
- Dome of the Rock/Masjid Al Sakhrah
- Angkor Wat
- Anahita Temple
There are a large number of buildings for civic or governmental purposes. These include:
- Seats of Government
- Transportation Centres such as railway stations and airports
Around the world, commemorative structures are amongst the most notable tourist attractions. For example:
- The Taj Mahal
- War Memorials
Building the tallest building in the world is every architect's dream (or perhaps nightmare) project, as it will eventually be topped by an even taller structure.
- Taipei 101, Taipei, Taiwan (Built 2004) 101 storeys 509m
- Petronas Tower 1, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Built 1998) 88 storeys 452m
- Petronas Tower 2, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Built 1998) 88 storeys 452m
- Sears Tower, Chicago (Built 1974) 110 storeys 442m
- Jin Mao Building, Shanghai (Built 1999) 88 storeys 421m
- Two International Finance Centre, Hong Kong (Built 2003) 88 storeys 415m
- CITIC Plaza, Guangzhou, China (Built 1996) 80 storeys 391m
- Shun Hing Square, Shenzhen, China (Built 1996) 69 storeys 384m
- Empire State Building, New York (Built 1931) 102 storeys 381m
- Central Plaza, Hong Kong (Built 1992) 78 storeys 374m
- CN Tower, Toronto, Canada (Built 1975) 553m
- Ostankino Tower, Moscow, Russia (Built 1967) 537m
- Oriental Pearl Tower, Shanghai, China (Built 1995) 468m
- Sky Tower, Auckland, New Zealand (Built 1997) 328m - Tallest in southern hemisphere.
- Sydney Tower, at Centrepoint, Sydney, Australia (Built 1981) 305m
- Eiffel Tower, Paris, France (Built 1889) 300m - when built, 324m with TV antenna.
In the USA (and from 1974 to 1991 in Poland) there are some guyed radio masts, which were taller. The tallest construction built so far, was the Warsaw radio mast near Gabin.