Angel Fire is a small resort town in North Central New Mexico.
Angel Fire is a mountain village in the Moreno Valley on the Enchanted Circle scenic drive north of Santa Fe, and half an hour from Taos. At base elevation of 8,410 feet (2100 meters) and summit of over 10,000 feet, it is dominated by a ski resort, but offers four-season activities, and is also well-known for being the home to a Vietnam Veterans Memorial, now a state park.
Well-maintained but mountain roads arrive in Angel Fire from Taos and Cimarron. A small county-run airport handles private planes. The nearest airports with commercial scheduled direct from out-of-state flights are Santa Fe (connections to Dallas and Los Angeles), and Albuquerque (numerous connections). The nearest Amtrak railroad station is in Raton, 80 miles away.
The resort and a few other local businesses maintain shuttles; otherwise transportation is by foot, horse, ski, snocat, or private car.
Surrounded by mountains that rise as high as 13,000 feet, Angel Fire is intrinsically scenic. Numerous hiking and mountain biking trails complement the well-marked scenic routes for automobiles. The privately-constructed Vietnam Veterans Memorial is well worth the detour.
While nearly all outdoor winter and snow sports are available during the winter, Angel Fire also offers an 18-hole golf course, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, a classical music festival, and numerous extreme sport competitions and exhibitions. A new specialty is night-skiing, on a specially designated 50-acre area. Angel Fire also invites destination weddings.
- Sipapu Ski Area, .
Angel Fire has a few gift shops and art galleries, and a small grocery market, along with numerous real estate agents.
- Angel Fire ArtSpace (ArtSpace Gallery), 3469 Mountain View Blvd (Highway 434), ☎ 575-377-6273, . 10-4:30. Premier Gallery in Angel Fire. Love art? Learn to paint! Get inspired!
Angel Fire boasts about two dozen restaurants, all in moderate price ranges.
- Caliente Grill, .
- Lazy Lizard Cantina, .
- Our Place Cafe & Market, .
- The Roasted Clove, .
- Angel Fired Pizza, 3375 Mountain View Blvd, ☎ (575) 377-2774, . Great crisp crust pizza and good service.
- Ritchie Slater Winery, Hwy. 434 and County Rd. B-3 (Osha Road) (In Black Lake, just south of Angel Fire, NM), . Amazing hand-crafted, award-winning wines in one of the most beautiful settings on the planet.
The limited selection of accommodations includes resort hotel, cabins, B and Bs, condo rentals and motels. For better choices, some people prefer to stay in Taos.
- Angel Fire Visitor Center, 866-668-7787, .