Anaheim  is a city in Orange County, California. It is best known for being the home of Disneyland. Its second claim to fame is hosting the National Hockey League's Anaheim Ducks and Major League Baseball's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Anaheim is right off Interstate 5 which connects it directly to Los Angeles or San Diego. To the west, State Route 91 connects to Interstate 405, which in turn runs up to LAX and West Los Angeles (and which, in turn, connects to central Los Angeles and Hollywood via Interstate 110). To the east, State Route 91 connects to Interstate 15 and 10 for visitors coming from Las Vegas or Phoenix.
The closest commercial airports are John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana (SNA) followed by Long Beach Airport (LGB), while the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is by far the largest airport in the area.
For those who rent a car or take a taxi, travel time from SNA is about 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic. From LAX, the trip takes about 45-60 minutes, depending on traffic. A taxi from SNA costs about $40; from LAX, about $70.
For most people who don't rent a car, shared shuttle van service, like SuperShuttle, is an economical option. The shuttle will make multiple stops, but you will be delivered right to the door of your hotel. From LAX, the cost is about $16 per person one way/$32 per person roundtrip, plus tip. From SNA, the cost is about $10 per person one way/$20 per person roundtrip, plus tip.
Amtrak and Metrolink provide service at Anaheim Station, located at 2150 East Katella Avenue on the north side of Angel Stadium's parking lot, across from Honda Center, and 2.5 miles east of Disneyland. The station has a ticket office, enclosed waiting area, and restrooms. Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner Route services this station.
The transit connection to Disneyland is actually best at the Fullerton Amtrak/Metrolink station in the city's pleasant downtown area. From there it's just short a ride on OCTA line 43 to Disneyland.
You can also get to Disneyland on Metro bus 460 from Downtown Los Angeles, a semi-express bus that is a fairly slow but direct ride.
- Orange County Transit Authority, 714-560-OCTA (6282) / 714-636-RIDE (7433), . Provides bus service within Anaheim and to neighboring communities.
- Anaheim Resort Transportation, 714-563-5287, . Provides shuttle service to area tourist destinations, including Disneyland, California Adventure, Angel's Stadium, Honda Center, Knott's Berry Farm, Medieval Times, Christ Cathedral, and more.
- Disneyland, 1313 Disneyland Dr, ☎ 1 (877) 560-6477, . edit of course, is Anaheim's main claim to fame since first opening in 1955.
- Disney California Adventure, 1313 Disneyland Dr, ☎ (714) 781-4565, . editis a newer addition to Disneyland. It opened in 2001 and has separate admission fees.
There are two professional sports teams that play in Anaheim:
- LA Angels, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, . The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are the Los Angeles area's American League baseball team. edit
- Anaheim Ducks, Honda Center, . The Anaheim Ducks are an NHL Hockey that plays across from Angel Stadium in the Honda Center (formerly the Arrowhead Pond). You may also see Disney On Ice shows here as well. It is also open for the public to go and skate. edit
- Anaheim Convention Center, 800 West Katella Ave. (just south of Disneyland), ☎ (714) 765-8950, . edit
For basic supplies, there are 7-Eleven stores throughout the Anaheim Resort District, as well as a new CVS Pharmacy open 24 hours at the intersection of Katella Avenue and Harbor Boulevard.
Shopping mall options (other than Downtown Disney at the Disneyland Resort) include:
- Anaheim Garden Walk, 321 West Katella Ave (near South Harbor Blvd), . A relatively new complex which stretches from Katella to Disney Way, with shops, restaurants, a sleek 14-screen cinema, and a fancy bowling place. It's close to Disneyland. edit
- La Brea Bakery Café, 1556 Disneyland Drive, ☎ (714) 490-0233, . editLocated in Downtown Disney along with many other restaurants, such as ESPN Zone and Rainforest Café.
- Roy's Restaurant, 321 W Katella Ave (inside Gardenwalk), ☎ (714) 776-7697, . $$$. edit High-end chain serving Hawaiian fusion.
- Palama Hawaiian Fusion BBQ, 321 West Katella Ave (inside Gardenwalk, #314 opposite the cinema), ☎ 714 533-9919. daily. On the top floor of the new Anaheim Gardenwalk, opposite the sleek cinema, is a little mom and pop eatery with only outdoor seating, serving inexpensive but good Asian-Hawaiian comfort food. $$. edit
There are many of hotels, motels and inns all around Disneyland for all budgets and tastes.
- Alpine Inn, 715 West Katella Ave (near South Harbor Blvd, adjacent to Disneyland), . Traditional 2-story motel with exterior corridors and no elevator, and with pool and parking in the center, is located across the street (Katella) from the Anaheim Convention Center. Although it backs into Disneyland, the entrances to Disneyland (the south entrance is closed) are a short drive or a good 10 min walk away. Basic continental breakfast, WiFi, use of a computer in the lobby, and microwave and refrigerator in room are all free. edit
- Americas Best Value Inn & Suites (At the Park / Convention Center), 425 West Katella Avenue (on Katella Avenue near Harbor Blvd), ☎ +1 714 776-2815, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. Large heated outdoor swimming pool and spa. Complimentary Breakfast as well as free parking and Internet access price=$69-199. edit
- Anaheim Courtyard by Marriott, 2045 S Harbor Blvd, ☎ 714-740-2645, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. The Courtyard by Marriott Anaheim hotel has room types to accommodate families, couples and business travelers. Guests can choose from a Deluxe Room or a Kids' Suite. Restaurant, Bar, Free wifi. from $109. edit
- Astoria Inn & Suites, 426 West Ball Road Anaheim, CA 92805, ☎ 714-774-3882, . Located just blocks from Disneyland Resort, Anaheim Convention Center, and many top attractions. Offers amenities such as a shuttle to Disneyland, pool, spa, high speed internet, continental breakfast, and guest laundry! edit
- Cortona Inn and Suites, 2029 S. Harbor Blvd, . A Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel offering family suite lodging accommodations with bunk beds, complimentary continental breakfast, outdoor heated pool and whirlpool, and video arcade room. edit
- DoubleTree Guest Suites Anaheim Resort, 2085 S. Harbor Blvd, ☎ 714-750-3000, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 12PM. Premium, full service hotel features Tuscan-inspired décor with contemporary flair. edit
- Homewood Suites by Hilton, 12005 Harbor Boulevard, ☎ 714-740-1800, . checkin: 4:00 PM; checkout: 11:00 AM. Located a mile from Disneyland. Suites have full kitchens and free high-speed internet. Free hot breakfast and light dinner. edit
- Hotel Pepper Tree, 2375 West Lincoln Avenue, ☎ 877-888-5656, . Extended stay hotel with Southern California style and rustic Spanish influence. Warm earthy décor, hand-crafted wood furniture, and Hollywood memorabilia. edit
- Hilton Anaheim, 777 Convention Way, ☎ 714-750-4321, . The largest hotel in orange county, adjacent to the Convention Center and across the street from Disneyland. edit
- Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center, 2035 S. Harbor Blvd, ☎ +1 714 750 4000, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. A Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel in Anaheim offering family suites with bunk beds, complimentary continental breakfast, and is within walking distance to the Disneyland Resort Parks and the Convention Center. edit
- Eden Roc Inn & Suites, 1830 South West Street Anaheim, CA 92802, ☎ 714-663-8700, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 11:00 AM. Stay at the charming Eden Roc Inn & Suites near Disneyland® and the Anaheim Convention Center. You’ll discover what countless families and friends already know—the Happiest Place on Earth is even happier when you stay near the Magic of Disney! edit
- Fairfield Inn Anaheim Disneyland Resort, 1460 South Harbor Boulevard, ☎ 1-714-772-6777, . Anaheim, California hotel across the street from Disneyland Resort entrance. Non-smoking. Complimentary wireless Internet. On-site parking available. (33.811427,-117.915361) edit
- Anaheim Marriott, 700 West Convention Way, ☎ 714-750-8000, . The Anaheim Marriott is minutes away from Disney Land edit
- Park Vue Inn, 1570 S. Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, California 92802, ☎ 714-772-3691, . With our direct access to Disneyland® Resort, our hotel offers a stress-free stay right next door to a world-famous destination. We are also within walking distance of Disney California Adventure™ Park so you can get the full Disney® experience while you're here. Relax and recharge in one of our 86 comfortably appointed guestrooms, each room features a host of convenient, modern amenities. (33.808889,-117.913901) edit
Anaheim is considered one of the safest cities in the United States considering its size, although part of this is because the pleasant Anaheim Hills area to the east balances out the more dangerous parts of the city to the west. The Disneyland Resort and the adjacent Anaheim Resort area are both heavily patrolled and thus mostly safe, but the areas outside of those areas (i.e., where the pretty landscaping ends) are not as safe.
Anaheim has a low rape and murder rate, although the rape rate has been growing, along with the national average. By far, the most dangerous crime is aggravated assault. Common sense must be used after dark, and never travel alone. Anaheim was mostly spared during the 1992 Los Angeles riots.
- Buena Park's E-Zone, the home of Knott's Berry Farm can easiliy be reached from Anaheim via Orange County Transit Authority buses. From Disneyland, travel west on Katella Avenue to Stanton, then north on Beach Boulevard to Buena Park.
- Los Angeles and San Diego are accessible from Anaheim via Amtrak and Metrolink at the Anaheim railway station.