| || |
| || |
Revision as of 15:11, 23 April 2012
The West of Amsterdam is a vast suburban area, generally off the beaten track for most travellers.
This district can be split in Old West, a modern neighborhood built in the first half of the twentieth century, and New West, a multicultural area built after World War II and generally off-the-beaten path to tourists. The heart of Old West is (confusingly enough) the neighborhood of Old West proper, the area closest to the city center, bordered to the south by Overtoom and the Vondelpark and in the west by the Rembrandt Park. Other areas in Old West are Westerpark, a large park bordering the center with some interesting nightlife; De Baarsjes, a neighborhood built in Amsterdam School and New Objectivity architectural styles; and Bos en Lommer, most similar to New West with some remarkable buildings.
New West has often dominated the headlines for social and ethnic tensions, crime, urban decay. Most infamous is Slotervaart, bordering Old West to the east; other districts are Geuzenveld/Slotermeer and Osdorp. A special district is the vast area of Westpoort, a harbor occupying a large area to the north of Amsterdam West, but not of much interest to most visitors.
Scattered over the district are plenty of windmills, however, none of them are open to the public (but they do look good on pictures).
- De 100 Roe (1674). In the Ookmeer sports fields along Ma Braunpad.
- De 1200 Roe, Haarlemmerweg 701. Near Seineweg.
- De Bloem (1878), Haarlemmerweg 465. at Nieuwpoortkade.
- De Otter (1631). a restored and functioning sawmill, opposite Buyskade, west of the Jordaan.
- Rembrandtpark. Not too far west of the Vondelpark, but much quieter and larger in size.
- Westerpark, . Newly expanded park, at the western edge of the centre, with cultural activities in a former gas factory. Access from Haarlemmerweg.
- Strand West (take bus 22 or 48 to 'Spaaarndammerstraat')
- Ken Tui Massage, Da Costastraat 6-1 (Just off the De Clercstraat near the center), ☎ +31-6-15053174, . Finish the day giving your body and feet a rest and receive a quality massage.
- Club 8, Admiraal de Ruijterweg 56b. A large alternative place with lots of art on its walls. There's ping pong, a very local and fairly young crowd.
- Flex Bar, Pazzanistraat 1 (Tram: Van Limburg Stirumstraat, in the Westerpark), ☎ +31 20 486 21 23, . often until 05:00. Flex Bar is known for its innovative musical program and their openminded approach towards music as well as their public. Expect electro, techno, house, dubstep, hiphop, indie, funk and soul.
- citizenM Amsterdam Airport, Jan Plezierweg 2, ☎ +31 (0)20 40 80 498 ([email protected], fax: 31 (0)20 6143651), .
- Bastion Hotel Zuidwest, Nachtwachtlaan 11, ☎ +31 20 669 1621, .