East is a district of Amsterdam.
The East is a residential district southeast of the Plantage neighborhood and east of Amsterdam South. The East should not be regarded as one homogeneous area, as there are many different neighborhoods, each with their own character. Most foreign visitors head out for the area around Oosterpark, a breezy area where you can hang out and visit some museums. The Eastern Docklands is an upper class neighborhood with some of the highest population densities of the city. The Indische Buurt, Transvaalbuurt and Dapperbuurt is a working class area with a relatively large immigrant population; urban renewal projects are underway to improve the living conditions in these neighborhoods.
IJburg is Amsterdam's newest neighborhood at the east side of the city, which is discovered by more and more tourists. The first house was built in 2002. By now, the islands have 15,000 dwellers and are still growing. It consists of several islands connected by bridges, has a harbour and the city's only real beach. The two main islands are Steigereiland (pier island) and Haveneiland (harbour island).
You can reach most of the East easily by public transport. For IJburg, take tram 26 from Amsterdam Central Station. You can also get on bus 66 from Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA to Vennepluimstraat.
You can also reach IJburg by car. Take Amsterdam's city ring A10 exit S114 (Zeeburg/IJburg), take highway A1 exit 3 (Muiden) or take Piet Heintunnel from the center of Amsterdam. And you can reach IJburg by bike. Take one of the two bridges: the Nesciobrug or the Enneüs Heermabrug.
The architecture at IJburg is worth seeing. The first island you reach by tram is Steigereiland. At Steigereiland South many residents got the chance to design their houses themselves. Steigereiland North is all about water and air, with a basin full of floating homes. Haveneiland is the main island, and called after its harbour. Many buildings here are modern interpretations of the old city center. Blijburg beach is on the main island.
- IJburg, Steigereiland (pier island) and Haveneiland (harbour island) (tram 26 to IJburg, bus 66 from Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA Station to Vennepluimstraat, by car exit the A10 at S114 (Zeeburg/IJburg)), . IJburg consists of several islands connected by bridges, with a harbour and a beach. The first house at IJburg was build in 2002. The islands have a population of 15.000 and is still growing. The two main islands are Steigereiland (pier island) and Haveneiland (harbour island). Amongst the attractions are modern architecture, water, nature, good restaurants, entertainment venues and hip shops.
- Oosterpark, (Behind the Tropenmuseum). Close to Plantage, this park holds several multicultural festivals throughout the year.
- Diemerpark, (Next to IJburg). This is a large park, a little like a dune park.
- Scheepvaart Museum, . The Netherlands Maritime Museum is closed for complete renovation.
- Tropenmuseum, Linnaeusstraat 2, ☎ +31 20 568 82 15, . Ethnographic and cultural museum about Africa, Asia, and South America.
- Blijburg Beach, . Blijburg beach is on the main island. You can reach this beach with beach club with tram 26 (IJburg).
Going out at Blijburg beach, harbour club The Lighthouse, cool restaurant and bar N.A.P. or Dok48. Enjoying the water, the architecture, the nice shops and restaurants.
- Bimhuis, Piet Heinkade 3 (tram Muziekgebouw Bimhuis), ☎ +31 20 788 21 50, . World class jazz and improvised music venue, five minutes by foot from Central Station. Tickets €14 to €18.
- Blijburg Beach, (tram 26 to the last stop, then a few minutes walk, follow the signs), . This temporary artificial beach is only open in summers. Oddly enough it's surrounded by construction sites and modern architecture in IJburg, the newest neighborhood of Amsterdam.
IJburg has a lot of interesting shops. Design020 (Pedro de Medinalaan 89) is a large interior design center and W.I.C. (Pampuslaan 36) sells sixties vintage designer furniture. IJgenwijs (IJburglaan 1285) and Swah (IJburglaan 354) are nice shops for present and home decoration.
Nice boutiques are Bij'tij (Krijn Taconiskade 126), Frontrow (IJburglaan 1277), Ien Lifestyleshop (Diemerparklaan 52), Sevenlands (IJburglaan 1359) and SUBURB denim (IJburglaan 1499). Kids boutiques are Bliksem en Sterren (IJburglaan 1153), Flo4Kidz (IJburglaan 1273), Mama's Design (IJburglaan 1495) and Tjikky+Ko (Krijn Taconiskade 128P).
There are some special food shops in IJburg: Boerenjongens Eetwinkel (Talbotstraat 3) is a deli shop annex lunch room with products from the region and Dal Magazino (IJburglaan 431) is the deli shop of Italian restaurant Il Lago.
IJburg further has about 25 restaurants and lunchrooms. Nice ones are Beachclub Blijburg (Muiderlaan 1), coffee bar Espressofabriek (IJburglaan 1489), harbour club The Lighthouse (Krijn Taconiskade 432), harbour side restaurant N.A.P. (Krijn Taconiskade 124), Italian restaurant Lago Caffè (IJburglaan 431), Dutch pancake restaurant Pannenkoek en zo (Taconiskade 406), Mediterranean deli annex restaurant Tante Til (IJburglaan 1501), and icecream shop IJsburg (Pampuslaan 41). You can find an overview at the website 'IJburg: Amsterdam by the sea'.
- De Ponteneur, Eerste van Swindenstraat 581 (Oosterpark), ☎ +31 20 668 06 80, . An inexpensive bar-restaurant with great food and atmosphere. All food served is fresh- and home made. Free wifi available. Excellent bang for the buck and suited for only a drink as well. Main courses start at 15 Euro. No English menu, some waiters speak English.
- Jerry's Eetcafe, Veemkade 1288 (Eastern Docklands, Left to Albert Heijn Supermarket), ☎ +31 20 362 80 00, . Daily 6PM-10PM, Sa, M, Tu closed. Amsterdam's best kept secret until now. Small and very cheap restaurant. Good food and service. Great view from the restaurant. Don't let yourself be put off by the unwelcoming entrance to the restaurant shared with a fitness center. Walk up two stories and you feel welcome at once! Reservation required for groups more then 6 people.
- Silk Road Restaurant, Piet Heinkade 11, ☎ +31-20-5191200, . In Silk Road Restaurant we offer you an exciting East meets West Kitchen with both a la carte and (on high occupied days only) a live cooking theme buffet. Silk Road Restaurant is located on the 2nd floor of the Mövenpick Hotel Amsterdam with a great view on the river IJ. Open 7 days per week for lunch and dinner. EUR 25-40.
In the harbour: N.A.P. (Krijn Taconiskade 124), Dok48 (Krijn Taconiskade 328) and The Lighthouse (Krijn Taconiskade 432).
At the beach: Blijburg (Muiderlaan 1).
At Steigereiland: Lago Caffè (IJburglaan 431).
- Camping Zeeburg, Zuider IJdijk 20 (from Centraal station Tram 26 IJburg, From Dam Square Tram 14 Flevopark, close to IJburg), ☎ +31 20 694 44 30. This campground is near the city. It has camping cabins, wagonettes, tent sites and RV sites. A good store, free wifi and resturant/bar round out the amenities. A good, clean and cheap place to stay if you do not mind walking to the bathroom and paying €.80 for a hot shower.
- Stayokay Zeeburg, Timorplein 21 (Zeeburg, tram: Zeeburgerdijk), ☎ +31 20 551 31 90 ([email protected]), . This 480 bed hostel is located to the east of the city centre in a typical Amsterdam neighbourhood. Amsterdam's historic centre is less than 15 minutes away by bike or tram. The hostel is in the same building as Studio K, a budget diner and movie theatre.
- B&B Lieve Nachten, Vaillantlaan 77.
- Bastion Hotel Amstel, Verlengde van Marwijk Kooystraat 30, ☎ +31 20 663 45 67, . Comfortable but lacking in charm, 4 star hotel near OverAmstel metro, 10 minutes walk then 10 minutes train ride to Centraal Station. But without pedestrian access to the road - you have to take your chance with the traffic. Doubles €70.
- The Flying Chef (De Vliegende Kok), Transvaalkade 26 (Transvaal, tram: Krugerplein), ☎ +31 20 468 65 08 ([email protected]), . Quiet art deco bed breakfast with culinairy arrangements. In East part, Watergraafsmeer of center. Wi-Fi access. See website for pictures. €90.
- Mövenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Centre, Piet Heinkade 11 (Eastern Docklands, tram: Muziekgebouw Bimhuis), ☎ +31 20 519 12 00 ([email protected], fax: +31 20 519 1239), . The hotel is located in the Eastern Docklands, the renewed area of the city centre which makes it perfect for business or pleasure. 149 euro.