| || |
|−|*<eat name="" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long=""></eat> | |
| || |
Revision as of 00:09, 23 February 2013
Ambleside is a town in Cumbria. It is located at the head of Windermere, England’s largest lake, within the Lake District National Park.
Boats at Ambleside. Jetty for steamers in the background.
Ambleside is an easy bus trip from Windermere and you can also catch a boat from various destinations on Lake Windermere.
- The Armitt Library and Museum - provides a fascinating source of local history
- Stock Ghyll Force, a spectacular 70 foot waterfall
- Bridge House – a 17th century structure over Stock Ghyll, now used as an information centre for the national Trust.
- Homes of Football, 100 Lake Road. 015394 34440. Weekdays 10am – 2pm (guaranteed, will sometimes stay open later). Weekends 10.30am – 4.30pm. Exhibition of photographs by Stuart Clarke, taken at football matches or football-related events all around the world. A fascinating insight into football culture. Strongly recommended.
Feed the swans near the jetty.
- Waterhead, Lake Road, ☎ 015394 32566, . checkin: 3:00pm; checkout: 11:00am. 4 stat town house boutique hotel. £56.50-£113 pppn. (54.420524,-2.961805)
- The Drunken Duck Inn,  Barngates, Ambleside, Cumbria LA22 0NG, Telephone +44 15394 36347, email: [email protected] Tariff £90 upwards.
- Ambleside Lodge,  Bed and Breakfast, Ambleside Lodge, Rothay Road, Ambleside, Cumbria LA22 0EJ, Telephone +44 15394 31681, e-mail: [email protected] Tariff £30 upwards.
- Rockwood , in historic & beautiful nearby Grasmere, is an example of a fine traditionally built lakeland residence, which sleeps 10-12 and is only 10 mins quiet walk from the centre of the village.
- Oak Apple Barn  close by in Hawkshead, one of the most picturesque villages in England, is a beautifully converted 17th century barn, which sleeps 2-4 in a wonderfully quiet location.
- Heron Beck Guest House,, Off Keswick Road, Grasmere, Ambleside, ☎ 015394 35272, . checkin: 4.00pm; checkout: 10.00am. Heron Beck guest house provides quality 4 Star accommodation in Grasmere in the very heart of the famed Lake District National Park. The guest house offers visitors stunning views over private gardens reaching out to the nearby fells, a truly breathtaking scene. Bed & Breakfast from £40 per person per night. £40.
- Rydal Mount – home of William Wordsworth