Altoona is a city in central Pennsylvania. Altoona was founded as a railroad town by the Pennsylvania Railroad as the site of their Altoona Works shops, and its history as a railroad town still shows in the town today despite the decline of the railroad and its eventual absorption into Penn Central, Conrail, and now Norfolk Southern.
Amtrak's Pennsylvanian line stops in downtown Altoona with daily service in each direction from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
Altoona is located along Interstate 99, which can be reached from I-70 from the Washington-Baltimore area or Pittsburgh area, from I-76 (the Pennsylvania Turnpike) from the Philadelphia area, or from I-80 from the New York City area. Altoona can also be reached directly from Pittsburgh via I-376/US 22.
- Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, 13th Avenue at 13th Street. A Roman Catholic cathedral
- Horseshoe Curve. a famous railroad landmark just west of Altoona.
- Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum. in downtown Altoona is a museum showing Altoona's history as a railroad town.
- Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site (in nearby Gallitzen), 110 Federal Park Road, Gallitzin, PA 16641 (The park is located just off U.S. 22 approximately 12 miles west of Altoona and 10 miles east of Ebensburg. Take the Gallitzin Exit and follow the signs.), ☎ (814) 886-6150, . 9am to 5pm. The Allegheny Portage Railroad was a great achievement in early travel. Charles Dickens, Jenny Linn, and Ulysses S. Grant traveled over the Allegheny Mountains. They braved a system that injured passengers on a weekly basis. A system of inclined planes and a nine hundred foot tunnel carved through solid rock by Welsh coalminers made this feat possible. For twenty years, it was the fastest way to transgress the rough and wild terrain of Pennsylvania. The site features a recreated incline and winch used to pull portaged barges over the hill. $4.
- Altoona Curve Baseball, 1000 Park Avenue, ☎ 877-99-CURVE, . Watch a live-action baseball team - up close and personal!
- Lakemont Park & The Island WaterPark, 700 Park Avenue, ☎ 1-800-434-8006, . Family Fun Park
- Boyer Candies outlet store. The manufacturer of Mallo Cup and Smoothies peanut butter cups is in Altoona and has an outlet store on site at their factory.
- Logan Valley Mall, Route 220 & Goods Ln, (814) 944-6128.
- Wong's Wok in the food court of the Logan Valley Mall, Route 220 & Goods Ln, (814) 944-6128
- Ramada Conference Center Altoona PA, I-99 Exit 31 Plank Rd, Rt. 220 and Plank Rd exit, Altoona, PA - 16601, ☎ 814-946-1631, .