Almeria is a city in Andalucia.
The word Almeria is an Arabic word which means mirror of the sea. Like many Andalusian cities, Almeria kept its Arabic name after it had been recaptured by the Spanish. It is an averagely sized city by the Mediterranean Sea with a population of around 200,000. In its region lies the Natural Resort (Parque Natural) area of Cabo de Gata.
Almeria has a Hot Arid climate (BWh). Almeria's winters are very mild, around 18°C (65°F). Summers are long and hot and often reach and exceed 40°C (104°F) in the shade during July and August.
|Daily highs (°C)||17||18||20||23||27||30||33||34||31||27||22||19|
|Nightly lows (°C)||9||10||11||13||17||20||24||24||21||17||13||11|
Hot Arid Climate, Average annual temperature: 20°C, average annual precipitation: 120mm, average annual sunshine hours: 3,470
A number of carriers serve London Luton, Birmingham and Manchester, Ryanair from London Stansted, Iberia from Barcelona, Madrid and Melilla, East Midlands, Easyjet from London Gatwick & Jet2.com  from Leeds/Bradford.
Also efficient are flights to Madrid or Malaga, followed by bus trips to Almeria. While requiring more time, they are often cheaper than direct flights to Almeria.
Granada Airport also has twice weekly flights to Manchester [Easyjet]. Almeria is easily reached by frequent buses from Granada city bus station.
Bus line 30 runs direct from the airport to the city centre. A single ticket is €1.05, but there are restrictions on large items of luggage being carried on board. If you can't take the luggage into an aeroplane cabin, you won't be able to take it on the bus.
Almeria's train station is located on the Plaza de la Estación in the centre of the city and has services to destinations across Spain. Bus and train station are next to each other
The bus and train station are combined. Buses arrive from Jaén, Málaga, Granada and a variety of other cities all day. More options are available if routing through Granada, which is quick and simple. The station is located southeast of the center, and is a 15-25 minute walk from the center of town. The station is close on the night.
Ferries connect Almería to Melilla, Nador, Ghazaouet and Oran
Almería is well-served by local bus routes operated by SurBus. At the time of writing, a single ticket to anywhere in the city costs €1.05.
- Casa de los Marqueses de Torrealta
- Cathedral of Santa María de la Encarnación
- John Lennon Monument
- La Alcazaba
- Las Claras Convent
- Museo del Aceite de Oliva
- Palace of the Marquees of Cabra
- Palace of the Viscounts of the Castillo de Almansa
- Cable Ingles
- Visit the great beaches of Las Salinas and La Almadrava de Monteleva.
- Natural Park of Cabo de Gata Nijar (Cabo-de-Gata-Spain), Almeria (Province), . Just outside Almeria one will find an important natural reserve. The Natural Park of Cabo de Gata Nijar. It is a volcano area with virgin beaches and isolated coves. The traveller should not miss to visit this park. edit
- Underground Shelters. These were built when the Germans bombarded Almeria during the Spanish Civil War (1937) edit
- Mercado Central - the central market.
- Centro Comercial Torrecardenas - a modern shopping mall on the outskirts of town. Easily accessed on bus line 3 and 5. Has all the usual chain stores, as well as a cinema with occasional showings in English.
There are numerous tapas bars located around the town, offering a choice of meat, fish and seafood as well as some typical tortillas and potato dishes. Tapas bars are typically visited by the locals before the night fiesta.
- Paseo Maritimo zone. The pedestrian street by the sea offers a great number of bars de tapa, where breakfast, coffee, juices beers and tapas can be enjoyed with the view of the sea and the beautiful sunsets. Café Paris is always popular. edit
- Calle Mayor (center). Calle Mayor is a tapas-bar located between the Rambla and the paseo de Almeria near the center. If has a variety of tapas, often different than the most common choices found in most of the tapas bars in the city, some of the choices being vegetarian. The price for a caña of beer (a smaller glass than the tubo's)and a tapa is only one euro in the evenings. edit
- 46 (center (quatro calles)). For a different selection of tapas, 46 is an Italian tapas bar, with a variety of lasagna and pastas as an additional choice to the common tapas. Price of a tubo of beer and tapa is 2 euro. edit
La Cabaña del Tio Tom. This is a great tapas bar on the Paseo Maritimo. The tapas are big in comparison to other place and still reasonably priced. This place is very popular with foreigners as well as locals. Make sure to make a reservation or get there when they open if you don't want to wait in line. Either way, the staff is also quite nice.
La Mazmorra. This tapas bar offers a modern twist on the tapas experience. [www.mazmorralmeria.com]
Taberna Nuestra Tierra, Jovellanos, 16, 04003 Almeria, Spain
A tapas bar with an interesting collection of dishes at a good price.
- Milestone. Burger bar near Paseo de Almería in the city centre. Fairly expensive, but the burgers are massive, and very good quality. edit
Most of the bars are located in the area known by the locals as cuatro calles (the four streets) in the very centre of the city and just under the Cathedral plaza. Depending on the day, a litre of beer could cost down to 2 euros in some bars.
- Albergue inturjoven (Youth Hostel), Isla de Fuerteventura s/n · 04007 Almería, ☎ 955 035 886 ([email protected], fax: 950 175 140), . checkout: 11:00. from 16€. edit
- NH Ciudad de Almeria, Jardín de Medina, +34.95.0182500 . Recently built, located at the Jardín de Medina street, in the very heart of the city. A privileged location opposite the train and bus stations near the Marina and perfectly linked to the airport.
- Ohtels Cabogata, Avenida Juegos de Argel s/n 04131 Retamar-El Toyo Almería, ☎ T. (+34) 950209493, . edit
- Best Mojácar, Avda. Costa de Levante, 2 04638, Urb. Marina de la Torre, Mojácar Mojácar, ☎ (+34) 950 132 266, . edit
- Best Oasis Tropical, Avda. del Mar, 1 04638, Urb.Marina de la Torre, Mojácar Mojácar, ☎ (+34) 950 397 000, . edit
- Apartamentos Turísticos Best Pueblo Indalo, Paseo del Mediterráneo, 233 04638, Mojácar Mojácar, ☎ (+34) 950 478 376, . edit
- Best Indalo, Paseo del Mediterráneo, 1 04638, Mojácar 04638, Mojácar, ☎ (+34) 950 478 001, . edit
- Best Sabinal, Avda. Las Gaviotas, 1 04740, Roquetas de Mar 04740, Roquetas de Mar, ☎ (+34) 950 333 600, . edit
Almeria is generally a peaceful town. Robberies or crime is highly unlikely although the locals might advise to keep away from the gypsy neighbourhoods at night.