Almada is a city in the Setúbal Region divided from Lisbon by the Tagus river in Portugal. Although small in area, Almada has a high population density. It is bounded to the southeast by Seixal, to the south by Sesimbra, to the west by the Atlantic Ocean and to the north and northeast by the Tagus River. At Cacilhas, its main port, ferry boats transport visitors and local residents across to Lisbon daily, while the 25 de Abril Bridge, which spans the Tagus, is traversed by rail, commercial and personal vehicles daily. Almada is considered a transportation hub and a fast-growing suburb; its coast has several sandy beaches and panoramic vistas.
Busses leave from Praça de Espanha, Marquês do Pombal, Praça do Areeiro and Alcântara frequently (tickets cost between 1.35€ - with Zapping and 3.4€ purchased from the driver on the bus)
Take the "Cacilheiros"/ferry boat across the river Tagus (Tejo) from Cais do Sodré to Cacilhas, Almada.
Suburban Trains leave from Areeiro, Sete-Rios, Campolide and Entrecampos, stopping at Pragal. From there you can take a bus or light rail towards the city center.
Easily accessible outside of rush hour, parking is however difficult to find. Consider taking public transport instead.
Transportes Sul do Tejo offer a wide network of busses that run quite frequently between many places in the city.
Metro Transportes do Sul operates a tram with 3 lines, that connect several points in the city. A single ticket costs 0.85€ (you have to buy a card which costs 0.50€ but is rechargeable).
- Sculpture of Cristo Rei and the the Militar Fort. Cristo Rei
- Casa da Cerca contemporary art center in Almada Velha.
- The 25º April Bridge from the Boca do Vento
- The Riverside area of Ginjal
Almada can be an interesting alternative to the busy Lisbon city. A big park (Parque da Paz) can be found along with fine dining places in Cacilhas. If you come from Cacilhas, a enjoyable riverside path will lead you alongside great views of Lisbon. For great beaches, head to Costa da Caparica.
Praça São João Baptista. Restaurante 'Amarra ó Tejo'; Restaurante 'La Traviata';
- Almada Youth Hostel The Youth Hostel of Almada has one of the most spectacular views of Portugal. Located next to the Tagus river and near the 25 de Abril Bridge, you have the opportunity to enjoy a panoramic view of the entire city of Lisbon. It has dorms and individual apartments, being able to meet all your needs. Every room has a work desk and a balcony(Prices start at 13€)