Alexandria (Louisiana)Earth : North America : United States of America : South (United States of America) : Louisiana : Central (Louisiana) : Alexandria (Louisiana)
Alexandria  is a historic city, rich in Louisiana history. Civil War historic sites along with easy access to numerous historic locations make it a city ideal for history enthusiasts and for sportsmen.
Interstate 49 runs through the center of Alexandria, linking the city with Shreveport to the northwest (125 miles) and Lafayette to the south (90 miles).
Alexandria International Airport (IATA: AEX)  is located to the west of the city, and is served by American, Continental, and Delta. The airport provides flights to Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Atlanta, and Memphis. This location is also home of England Air Park, formerly England AFB, which closed on June 1, 1992-- but is now England Airpark & Community: a Transportation and Buisness Center.
MacArthur Drive, which intersects with I-49 on both the north and south ends of the city, is one of the main roads. Many of the retail establishments in Alexandria are located near the intersection of MacArthur and Masonic Drives near the Alexandria Mall.
- Kent Plantation House, 3601 Bayou Rapides Rd, ☎ +1 318-487-5998, . One of the oldest surviving plantations in Louisiana. edit
- Mardi Gras, . College cheerleaders and classic cars parade takes place on Friday afternoon in Downtown. Children's parade takes place on Saturday morning in Downtown. The Krewe's parade takes place on Sunday afternoon with a route from Texas Ave to the Alexandria Mall. The Krewe of Provine parade on Tuesday runs down Coliseum Blvd. edit
- Que'in On The Red, 550 North 3rd Street, . Barbecue festival at the North Levee Park sanctioned by the Memphis Barbecue Network, taking place in mid-March. edit
Some local restaurants include:
- Tunk's Cypress Inn, 9507 LA Hwy 28 West (on Kincaid Lake), ☎ +1 318-487-4014, . Specializes in steaks, alligator, crawfish, oysters, and seafood. edit
- Oriental Wok, 6 N Bolton Ave, ☎ +1 318-448-8247. Chinese food and sushi bar edit
- Hana Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar, 2915 MacArthur Dr, ☎ +1 318-442-9898. edit
- Lou & Laura's, 1301 Windsor Pl, ☎ +1 318-445-2917. New Orleans style po' boys and broasted chicken edit
There is also a wide variety of chain restaurants in Alexandria.
Crawfish boils are popular among locals when crawfish is in season during spring.
- Pineville, Alexandria's sister city, is located directly across the Red River.
- Natchitoches is about an hour to the northwest down I-49.
- Marksville, home of Paragon Casino, is about 45 minutes to the southeast down Highway 1.
- A number of lakes can be found in the surrounding area just a short drive from Alexandria, such as Kincaid, Cotile, and Indian Creek.
|Routes through Alexandria|
|Shreveport ← Natchitoches ←||N S||→ Woodworth → Lafayette |
|Shreveport ← Colfax ←||N S||→ Lecompte → Krotz Springs|
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|