Alameda is in the East Bay of the Bay Area, California.
The area is very accessible from the 23rd street exit off of 880, as well as the Webster/Posey Tube if you are arriving via downtown Oakland.
The Alameda-Oakland ferry  provides service from San Francisco to Oakland and Alameda. The ferry can be an enjoyable way to travel, given good weather.
Alameda is served by AC Transit . Try 511.org  to determine the best bus route.
Alameda is an island, and as such it's difficult to get truly lost if you have your basic bearings. The island is bordered on the north by the Oakland estuary and to the south by the San Francisco bay. The west end of the island is taken up by the now closed Alameda Naval Air Station. At the south end, you'll find a bridge to Bay Farm Island.
Major north/south streets:
- Webster St.
- Grand St.
- Park St.
- High St.
Major east/west streets:
- Lincoln Ave.
- Central Ave.
- Otis Dr.
- USS Hornet (CV-12), Pier 3, Alameda Point, ☎ +1 510 521-8448, . The USS Hornet is a retired World War II aircraft carrier that fought numerous battles in the Pacific and also retrieved the astronauts of Apollo 11 and Apollo 12 after splashdown. The ship is currently run as a museum, with the hangar deck, flight deck, and some other areas open to wander around in, and tours offering the chance to see control rooms, engineering facilities, and other areas of this retired warship. Admission is $14 for adults, $12 for students.
- Crown Beach, (Eighth Street and Otis Drive), . A good beach on the bay. Very popular with kiteboarders.
- Lucky Ju-Ju Pinball, (Santa Clara and Webster), . A gallery of classic pinball games open Friday and Saturday 6PM to midnight, Sundays 4-8PM. The games are set on free play, so you pay a $10 donation and play as long as you like.
- Alameda Point Antiques and Collectibles Faire (Flea Market), ☎ +1 510 522-7500, . Monthly extravaganza of antiques and vintage items. Hundreds of vendors.
- Farmstead Cheeses and Wines, 1650 Park Street, ☎ +1 510 864-9463, . Great staff, great cheese, and great wine. Located in the Alameda Marketplace .
- Hangar One, 2601 Monarch Street, ☎ +1 800 782 8145, . Distillery where you can buy spendy but excellent spirits (plain and flavored vodkas, Scotch, eaux de vie, etc.) and/or enjoy a $10 tasting menu.
- Calafia Taqueria, 1445 Webster St., ☎ +1 510 522-2996. Good burritos, surprisingly uncrowded.
- India Palace, 737 Buena Vista, ☎ +1 510 814-8778. India Palace has an excellent (if small) buffet of Northern Indian dishes every lunch, and an equally good set of dishes every dinner.
- Speisekammer, 2424 Lincoln Ave., ☎ +1 510 522-1300, . A traditional German restaurant. Great food, great beer.
- Sushi House, 2375 Shoreline Drive, ☎ +1 510 865-0999, . Very good sushi hidden in a mall. Often crowded at dinner.
- Ole's Waffle Shop, 1507 Park St., ☎ +1 510 522-8108. Friendly diner, good variety of breakfast and lunch food. Lines for tables are out the door every morning for the waffles, and they're worth the wait!
- Fireside Lounge, 1453 Webster St., ☎ +1 510 522-7400. There is a beautiful bar, nice lounge feel and pool table.
- Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge, 1304 Lincoln Ave., ☎ +1 510 749-0332. One of the owners is a former bartender of the venerable Trader Vic's so it's not surprising he and his cohorts have opened a bar that comes with all the 1960s-esque island interior fixings--waterfalls and bamboo trimmings.
- Lucky 13, 1301 Park St., ☎ +1 510 523-2118. Great beers on tap, motorcycle friendly, a jukebox that pumps out good music, and they have a bbq in the back if you want to grill something up.
- Lost Weekend Lounge, 2320 Santa Clara Ave., ☎ +1 510 523-4700. This is a great neighborhood bar with a solid selection of beer, friendly, zero-attitude bartenders and a good jukebox. Check out their collection of lava lamps above the bar.
Alameda Sun address=3215J Encinal Ave. phone=+1 510 263-1470 fax=+1 510 263-1473  Alameda's only locally owned and operated newspaper.
- Days Inn San Francisco/Alameda/Oakland, 1925 Webster Street, ☎ +1 510 521-8400, .
- Hampton Inn Alameda (independent site), 1700 Harbor Bay Parkway, ☎ 510-521-4500, . Near Oakland International Airport just few miles distance from San Francisco and closest to MacAfee Coliseum.
- Hawthorn Suites Oakland/Alameda, 1628 Webster St., Alameda, CA 94501, ☎ +1 510 522-1000 (fax: +1 510 522-1011), . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM.
San Leandro is across the bay by using California State Route 61, there are plenty of shorelines and beaches here, as well as malls, hotels and worldwide industries (including Otis Spunkmeyer's and Ghirardelli's worldwide headquarters)