Aggtelek together with Jósvafő are famous for their huge and beautiful karst cave system.
There is a direct bus from Budapest every day at 6:15AM which takes 4 and a half hour to Aggtelek.
There are no direct buses from Miskolc; to reach Aggtelek, a change is needed (mostly at Kazincbarcika). The journey takes about two hours (70km) and costs approx. HUF 1300 one way. Buses start in each hour.
Hitch hiking is also a good option since it is probably going to take you half the time as by bus. The best bet is road 26 towards Kazinc first and then either take the bus or continue to Miskolc.
Aggtelek itself is very small; the best is to walk in the village. However, the cave entraces are a bit further from Aggtelek:
• Baradla cave, Aggtelek (1km) is west from the village
• Vöröstó cave, Aggtelek (3.5km) is east from the village
• Baradla cave, Jósvafő (6km) is next to Hotel Tengerszem, just before the entrance of Jósvafő
All buses between Aggtelek and Jósvafő stop at the cave entrances.
Jósvafő village: old village with houses typical in the region. There is a small country house which can be visited inside.
Szinpetri: the largest book in the world (Guiness Record).
MagtArt: contemporary gallery in Bódvaszilas
- Caves There is a few caves you can visit with different route for each of them. Opening hours and prices depend on the season. The information below is for June-August, when there are more tours but also higher prices. There is a tourist information center next to the cave entrance (email: [email protected], Tel: +36 48 503 000). The most popular cave tours are in Baradla cave: short tour (1 hour) from Aggtelek, short tour (1 hour) from Jósvafő and Red Lake tour (1 and half hour). Longer tours must be booked in advance.
- Horse riding: there are horse riding programs available at Jósvafő Hucul herd horseriding base. More info at the tourist information
The restaurant at Hotel Tengerszem is still closed in 2016.
There is a restaurant at Hotel Öreg Malom Jósvafő .
There are a couple of eateries opposite to the entrance of Baradla cave Aggtelek. Mostly they are open during daytime.
- Aggtelek Hotel Cseppkő, . Only open between 01.03-31-12. Rooms are a bit old, but enough in size. There is a pool and a restaurant. Next to the cave entrance. edit
- Nomád Baradla Tourist Hostel and Campsite, (Opposite to the cave entrance.), . There are rooms with shared bathroom, basic wooden houses for 4 or 6 persons, new trunk houses for 7 persons and campsite for tents. There is a restaurant with basic menu edit
- Old Mill Hotel (Hotel Öreg Malom), (Jósvafő), . The hotel is in a renovated old building and has appartments and standard rooms too. Rooms are convenient and cozy. There is a small wellness section and a restaurant. edit
- Dapsy Houses, (Jósvafő), . Dapsy family operates new apartments at Jósvafő and guesthouses at Alsószuha and Jósvafő as well. edit
L'Huillier-Coburg Mansion  A beautifully renovated castle between Miskolc and Aggtelek. Castle tours are available each hour and lasts 90 minutes. Open 10:00-17:00 in winter and 10:00-18:00 in summer, except Monday.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|