Aberdeen is a city in the Olympic Peninsula region of Washington. The city is the economic center of Grays Harbor County, bordering the cities of Hoquiam and Cosmopolis. The population was 16,461 according to the 2000 census.
Aberdeen is called the "Gateway to the Olympic Peninsula," because of it's proximity to the southern end of the peninsula and to Olympic National Park. In recent history Aberdeen has become more famous as being the "Birthplace of Grunge," and the hometown of Nirvana members Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic. A sign welcoming visitors to Aberdeen proclaims "Come As You Are" as a tribute to one of the band. Although it's hard to imagine today, at one point Aberdeen was a notorious Western outpost at the turn of the 20th century, with a number of saloons, brothels, and gambling halls in and around the town. Because of the wild atmosphere associated with these establishments, Aberdeen was nicknamed "The Hellhole of the Pacific."
The nearest major airport is ""Seattle-Tacoma International Airport""  (IATA code: SEA) which is about 80 miles away. While it's possible to get to Aberdeen via a number of different bus routes, you're best bet is to rent a car, especially if you are using Aberdeen as a jumping point into Olympic National Park as public transportation inside the park is extremely limited.
Aberdeen is well known for its lovely harbor, spread glittering and gray along the west edge of town, where the bay bobs with sailboats and speed cruisers.
- The Lady Washington, 712 Hagara Street Aberdeen, ☎ (360) 532-8611. Make a visit to see the great Lady Washington, a replica of the original which sailed the seas in the late 1700's. The Lady Washington offer sailing and dockside tours, which make their way up and down the coast from Washington to California.
- Morrison Riverfront Park walk. A great way to take in the sights of Aberdeen, stroll along this 1½-mi-long trail to the 40-foot-wide Compass Rose mosaic, which joins the Wishkah and Chehalis rivers.
- Westport's Historic Grays Harbor Lighthouse, 020 West Ocean Avenue , Located in Westport, 15 Miles West of Aberdeen, ☎ 360-268-6214. Crane your neck to check out Washington's tallest lighthouse, built in 1898. The Westport South Beach Historical Society offers regular tours of the facility year round.
- Grays Harbor Historical Seaport, 712 Hagara St, ☎ (800) 200-5239, .
- Star Wars Store, 413 E. Wishkah St., ☎ (360) 970-7080, .
- Aberdeen Museum of History, 111 E. Third St., ☎ (360) 533-1976, .
- Kurt Cobain Walking Tour (part of the Aberdeen Museum), 111 E. Third St., ☎ (360) 533-1976, .
- Kurt Cobain Memorial Foundation, .
- Westport Winery, 1 South Arbor Rd., ☎ (360) 648-2224, .
- Grays Harbor Street Market, (On Broadway, between Heron St and Wishkah St), ☎ (360) 532-8443, . June 7th to August 30th
- Bottle Beach State Park, 1-33 Ocosta 3rd St, .
- Morrison Riverfront Park. Get out and stretch your legs along the Chehalis River with a 1.5 mile trail. This waterfront park offers picnic tables, a fishing and viewing dock. Great for walkers and joggers.
- Grays Harbor National Wildlife Refuge, .
- Southshore Mall, 1017 South Boone, Aberdeen, ☎ 360-538-0760. Give your credit card a work out here with 40 specialty stores including JC Penney and Sears.
- Arts and Crafts Unlimited, 2715 Simpson Avenue, Aberdeen, ☎ 360-532-0534. One stop shop for all your arts and crafts needs. They also offer art classes on site.
- Kaufman Scroggs Furniture, 101 East Heron Street, Aberdeen,, ☎ 360-532-0630. In business for over 100 years, this is the place to buy quality furniture at an affordable price.
- Premier Books Direct, 2404 Pacific Ave, ☎ (360) 310-0593. With the latest arrivals from non fiction, and an impressive array of hardcover titles, you can spend an inordinate amount of time browsing these shelves.
- The Dog House, 100 N. Park Street, ☎ (360) 533-2119, . Not your average hot dog stand, the Dog House offers a variety of brats, wursts and their famous "Big Un.'" They also offer chicken, fish, hamburgers and legit cheese steaks. All of their food is flame-broiled and made to order. Kid friendly menu is available and make sure to try the home-cooked chili!
- Billy's Bar and Grill, 322 E. Heron Street, ☎ (360) 533-7144. Go for the great food and drink, stay for the haunting! Billy's Bar and Grill sits in an old Sailor's Union of the Pacific building, which was supposedly the workplace of William F. "Billy" Gohl, a notorious figure in Aberdeen who worked as a bartender by day, but as a strongman for the Sailor's Union by night. Legend has it that if sailor's didn't comply to union rules, that Billy's job was to make them disappear. Sit down for a cold drink at the bar and see if you can spot ghosts that still roam free throughout the establishment.
- Gabelli's Parma Northern Italian Restaurant, 116 W. Heron Street, ☎ (360) 533-6100. Upscale, Northern Italian dining featuring a menu created by the owner, Chef Gabelli. Along with specialty pastas, Gabelli's offers seafood and steaks.
- Breakwater Seafoods and Chowder House, 306 F St, Aberdeen (""phone="(360)). Locals consider this beloved Seafood restaurant a well-kept secret, and the Clam Chowder is some of the best in the area. This charmingly small, casual restaurant is in Grays Harbor and appropriate for kids. There is sparse seating indoors, yet there is outdoor seating as well, you can sit on the patio deck overlooking the Wishkah River. Beer and wine are available. Take-out is an option, and they sell fresh fish, shellfish, pickled fish, smoked fish and other seafood accompaniments. Call for daily hours of operation.
- Half Moon Bay Bar & Grill, 421 E Neddie Rose Dr, Westport, ☎ (360) 268-9166, . Half Moon Bay Bar & Grill is located in Westport, WA (about 20 minute drive from Aberdeen, Washington) and is situated between the Pacific Ocean and the Westport Marina. Lunch and dinner is served and catering is available. Wine, beer, and cocktails are available and they are known for their Bloody Marys. Hours: Sun -Th 11am - 9pm ; Fri -Sat 11am-10pm.
- Mallards Bistro & Grill, 118 Wishkah St, Aberdeen, ☎ (360) 532-0731. Quaint, European-style Ballard's Bistro & Grill is a small restaurant adorned with Mallard duck deco in downtown Aberdeen. Freshly prepared continental and local cuisine, craft beers and an extensive wine list. Dinner served Tuesday through Saturday from 5:00 pm. Call for reservations.
- Mazatlan Restaurant, 1165 E. Wishkah St, Aberdeen. This Mexican restaurant has a people-pleasing menu from Enchiladas to Chicken and Beef Fajitas and specialty dishes like Pollo de Crème. A Children's menu is available as well. The meals are comprised of generous portions and served with fresh tortilla chips and homemade salsa. Take-out items are available. Hours: Open 7 Days, Lunch Specials M-F; please call for hours.
- Ocean Palace Restaurant, 112 Wishkah St, Aberdeen, ☎ (360) 533-5808. Ornately decorated with white columns and striking Carved Jade boat, this large restaurant with friendly, family atmosphere. Menu of Chinese cuisine with a menu that has many offerings from family-style meals to old standbys like Teriyaki Chicken to the more modern, like Crab Cream-Cheese wontons. Wine and beer available. Hours: Daily 11:00 am-10:00 pm, Sat Noon-10:00 pm, Sunday Closed.
- Starbucks, 1202 E. Wishkah Street, ☎ (360) 532-0349, . Even in the remote areas of the Olympic Peninsula, you can find a branch of Seattle's famous coffee shop. You know the deal: coffee, lattes, espressos, specialty drinks and a variety of snacks and sandwiches.
- Coffee Bean Cafe and Popcorn Factory, 101 E. Wishkah Street, ☎ (360) 532-3377. An alternate to Starbucks with coffee and snacks, but has one thing the giant coffee company doesn't offer: popcorn! Sit outside in sidewalk seating or head down on a Friday evening for live music.
- Sidney's Restaurant and Sports Bar Casino, 512 West Heron St, Aberdeen, ☎ (360) 533-6635. Sidney's Restaurant & Sports Bar is a casino in Aberdeen, Washington and is open Sun-Thu noon-2am, Fri-Sat noon-4am. The casino's 6,500 square foot gaming space features nine table and poker games. The property has two restaurants and one bar.
- Blue Beacon Restaurant and Lounge, 406 S Boone St, Aberdeen, ☎ (360) 532-2980. Local dive bar which offers a surprisingly good selection of food. Try the Big Beacon Burger, which comes highly recommended.
- Aberdeen Olympic Inn Motel, 616 W. Heron Street, Aberdeen, ☎ (360) 533-4200, . Conveniently located in downtown Aberdeen, with merely a 20-minute car ride to beaches with opportunities for deep-sea fishing and activities such as horseback riding and bike riding. This motel offers good value for the price with its spacious rooms and continental breakfast. All rooms have refrigerators, microwave oven, iron and iron board, and hair dryer, cable color T.V; movies and ESPN. Direct-dial phones, free local calls and free wireless internet. Fax and copy machine available upon request.
- A Harbor View Bed & Breakfast, 111 W. 11th St, Aberdeen, ☎ (360) 533-7996, . This waterfront 30-room historic estate turned B&B, is perched on a hill with a welcoming view, while the porch area overlooks the town and has a harbor view. The interior is furnished with antiques and private collections. Each unique room is well appointed and has harbor views, a television (most also include a VCR or DVD player), its own private bath and wireless DSL Internet access. A cozy afternoon snack includes homemade cookies, scones, and a plethora of hot beverages, and a luxurious, multi-course breakfast awaits you in the morning.
- Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, 910 Simpson Avenue, Hoquiam, WA, ☎ (360) 532-8161. Close to Aberdeen, Washington, this Hoquiam, Washington hotel is also close to the beautiful beaches of Ocean Shores and Grays Harbor National Wildlife Refuge as well as easy access to nearby attractions, as well as outdoor activities such as boating, and golfing. Econo Lodge & Suites is a pet-friendly hotel (additional fees apply) and also offers a free continental breakfast, free local calls, and free wireless high-speed Internet access.
- Guesthouse Inn & Suites, 701 E. Heron Street, Aberdeen, ☎ (360) 537-7460, . Located adjacent to the Chehalis River in the quaint downtown area of Aberdeen, this hotel is within walking distance to shopping and fast food restaurants. On-site is a fitness center, indoor hot tub, and indoor heated swimming pool. There is a Business center, meeting facilities, and a free daily USA Today as well as a free weekday local paper. Family plan, kids 18 and under free in room with parents. Amenities include guest coin laundry, safety deposit boxes at front desk, and same day laundry and dry cleaning (weekdays only). Bountiful, complimentary continental breakfast includes waffles and fresh fruit.
- Westport Bayside Bed and Breakfast, 1112 South Montesano Street, Westport, ☎ 1-888-318-8868, . Situated on a lovely, rolling meadow, and near Washington state's central coast beaches, this bed and breakfast inn is a green-friendly environment and has many personal touches from the bouquets of handpicked flowers that decorate the B&B rooms year 'round, to the organic cotton towels and bathrobes and homemade breakfast.
- Mariners Cove Inn, 303 W. Ocean Avenue, Westport, ☎ (360) 268-0531, . The pet-friendly Mariners Cove Inn is near to the Marina, oceanfront hiking and biking path, the South beach, nature trails, maritime museum, lighthouse, and dining. Reasonable room rates with seasonal and multi-night discounts. Non-smoking rooms are available.