- This article is an itinerary.
A Family Weekend In Newport (Summertime) is in Newport(Rhode Island).
This itinerary gives you options for a weekend with the family in Newport (Rhode Island. There are many different things for tourist to do with children while in Newport. From shopping, sightseeing, museums and many different activities. This a place where all ages can enjoy their stay.
When preparing for Newport you should consider packing for the summer weather!
- Attire: As far as attire you should consider packing shorts and short sleeve shirts for the daytime. If you plan on swimming pack a bathing suit or a couple bathing suits too. Newport is also surrounded by water you might want to pack a sweatshirt for the night time because it can get a bit cool. If you plan on visiting a nice restaurant it wouldn’t hurt to bring out your nicer clothes as well.
- Footwear: For footwear it would be smart to bring your most comfortable shoes because you will be doing a lot of walking.
- Accessories: Be sure to bring an umbrella with you because Newport is not exactly invincible to rain. It would also be a great time to break out your sunglasses because the summer is the sun’s favorite season.
Newport is located in the heart of New England and can easily be reached by car, air, train, bus, or boat. t is very accessible for all major public transportation hubs. For specifics click on the following link. 
- R.I.P.T.A., Phone: +1 401-781-9400, . RIPTA has authentic looking trolleys that travel around Newport and offer bus trips all around the state of Rhode Island.
- Newport Trolley, Phone: (401) 849-8005, . Sponsored by RIPTA bus company, this more stylish and town like cruiser accommodates the same amount of passengers as a bus on a more breezy, clean and pleasant ride. The trolley also does mansion and scenic tours of Newport.
- Orange Cab, Phone: +1 401-841-0030, .
- Cozy Cabs, Phone: +1 401-846-2500.
- Yellow Cab, Phone: 1-401-846-1500.
- Newport Pedicab Phone (401) 432-5498, . There are pedicabs everywhere during the summer. You can find groups of them waiting for customers throughout Newport. A pedicab ride is a convenient ride home after a night on the town.
The Newport Mansions are a major tourist attraction for Newport. These are antique houses that represent over 250 years of history. They all have different architecture, history, interiors and landscapes.
This is a scenic walk along the beach that lasts about 3.5 miles total but there is an exit about halfway through if you are not up to finishing it. Don't miss out on the beautiful view walking alongside the ocean and some mansions . While walking the Cliff Walk keep an eye out for Forty Steps, which is a staircase that leads down to a balcony over the ocean .
Fort Adams is an old fort that was used to prevent enemy fleets from entering the bay and attacking friendly ships. They do reenactments of wars and tours here as well. Fun for the whole family. 
- Eastons Beach 
- Fort Adams State Beach 
- Gooseberry Beach 
- Historical Society Tour . The Newport Historical Society does private walking tours year round. You are able to choose the theme and they do the touring.
- Historic Tours of Newport . This tour is for seeing the mansions and getting details and stories about the mansions from the 1600s t to the 1900s of how it all came to be.
Newport Dinner Train
One of three outstanding dinner trains in the country. The Newport Dinner Train was selected by the Food Network for its dining excellence. Great fun for the family.
- Ocean Coffee Roasters: Jonathan’s Cafe, 22 Washington Sq. Newport, RI 02, Phone: +1 401-846-6060.
- The Hungry Monkey, 124 Broadway Newport, RI 02840, Phone: +1 401649-4433
- Bishop's 4th Street Diner, 184 Admiral Kalbfus Road Newport, RI 02840 Phone: +1 401-847-2069
- Pick Pockets Deli, 190 Thames Street, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-619-1973
- Gary’s Handy Lunch 462 Thames Street, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-847-9480
- Crazy Dough’s Pizza, 446 Thames Street, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-619-3343
- Five Guy’s Burgers & Fries, 199 J.T Connel Highway, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-841-9200
- Ben’s Chili Dog, 158 Broadway, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-846-8206
- Newport Fruit & Smoothie, 30 Bowen's Wharf, Newport, RI 02840
- Spring Wharf Smoothie, 4 Spring Wharf Newport, RI 02840 Phone: +1 401-619-4774
- Sprinkles 9 Bowen’s Wharf Newport, RI 02840
- Goodies By The Sea, 22 Long Wharf Mall, Neport, RI 02840 Phone: +1 401-841-0201
- Ben & Jerry’s 33 Bannisters Wharf, Newport, RI 02840 Phone: +1 401-841-0777
- Barking Crabs Restaurant, 151 Swinburne Row, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-846-8722.
- Yesterday’s & The Place, 28 Washington Square, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-847-0116
- Annie’s, 176 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-849-6731
- Newport Tokyo House, 6 Equality Park Place, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-847-8888
- Benjamin’s, 254 Thames Street, Newport, RI., Phone: +1 401-846-8757
- Museum & Shop at Brick Market 
- Newport Mansions Stores 
- Newport Scrimshanders 
- Souvenir Stop 
Clothing & Accessories:
- Active Sole 
- Rockport Company Store 
- Sole Desire 
Newport is not known for how dangerous it is but remember that anything can happen. Travel in groups and stay in the main areas and away from the back streets which will help avoid any confrontation that you might encounter. Stay away from the downtown area late at night as well because the bars are open and very busy and drunk people are roaming the streets.
At the bottom of the page of this link you will find directions on how to get out of Newport.