Aït-Benhaddou is a city in Morocco.
This is a traditional Mud Brick city on the edge of the High Atlas Mountains. It is on the UNESCO World Heritage List and has featured in many films, mostly as a replacement for Jerusalem.
Aït Benhaddou is accessable from Ouarzazate and Marrakesh
- Busses do not run direct to Aït Benhaddou but can drop you off at the turn off about 7km away from where you will have to get a lift.
It may be better to organise a private hire of a taxi for the trip.
- Car: Aït Benhaddou is 9km off the main Tizi n Tichka road, which links Ouzaarzarte to Marrakech. Coming from Ouazazarte, you turn off to the right after about18km from the town. It's quite a scenic drive to Aït Benhaddou. On the way into town there is a slight turnoff to the right , which is a popular spot for great views over the town and the Kasbah.
- From Marrakesh it will be a full day trip and the best advice is to organise a private tour if you do not have much time.
Morocco Explored offers a well priced private trip which includes stops in the High Atlas Mountains.
Once inside the Ksar you can only walk/ climb
To get from the newer part of the town you will have to cross a river via Stepping stones.
Locals will charge you 10Dr to cross the river on a donkey, and they probably remove the
stepping stones to improve their business. The river is only knee-deep and can be easily
crossed by feet.
- The town itself is the main attraction, with mud buildings climbing up the side of the hill.
- The Granary at the top of the hill is impressive and well worth the effort to get up there.
- The Mausoleum of Ben-Haddou is at the base of the hill on the opposite side to the town.
Climb up to the top of the hill for the great views.
There are several shops within the town that sell souvenirs from all over the Sahara, particularly prevalent are Models of the Ksar and wooden artifacts from the Dogon people in Mali.
There is a very friendly carpet shop in the newer part of town near the post office
- Hotel la Baraka in the newer part of town has a restaurant with a nice courtyard.
- Hotel la Baraka
- Hotel le Kasbah
- Auberge La Goulade. The first auberge along the road into Ait Benhaddou, run by a French man and his Moroccan wife. Very friendly, excellent food and good price!
- Hotel Restaurant La Rose Du Sable, Kasbah Ait Benhaddou, Morocco, ☎ +212 (0) 5 24 89 00 22, . Clean, comfortable rooms. Great food.