| || |
| || |
Örebro  is a modern city located in the small province of Närke in Svealand in south central Sweden. It's located on the flat Närke plains, surrounded by vast forest areas. It's Sweden's 7th largest municipality with a population of about 129,000 (2006).
Örebro was previously known as a shoe manufacturing center. Nowadays a lot of people living here work for the public sector, for instance with statistics.
There are daily flights to Örebro from Malmö, Copenhagen and Stockholm/Arlanda.
Örebro is located near Hallsberg, which is Sweden's premier train hub. Train connectivity is therefore excellent from all over Sweden.
E20, E18 and riksväg 50 all connect in Örebro.
Swebus express  and Säfflebussen  offers bus services to and from most major cities. Lindbergs buss  has cheap tickets, one daily departure to and from Stockholm.
The city center is easily explored on foot. There is a well functioning network of city buses  servicing all parts of the city. Almost all regional and city buses stop at Resecenter (next to the train station). Järntorget also functions as a hub for the city buses. The municipality offers bicycles for rent if one wishes to explore the city by bike. Enquire at the tourist agency in the castle.
- Örebro Castle  is one of Sweden's most photogenic. Tours are available.
- The city park has been voted Sweden's most beautiful, and a visit is recommended in the summertime.
- Wadköping  is an open-air museum with lots of old cottages.
- Gustavsvik  is northern Europe's largest water funpark. It also has one of Sweden's finest campings and "adventure" miniature golf in its vicinity.
- The watertower Svampen (The Mushroom)  is a local landmark. It offers panoramic views of the city and hosts the water museum/workshop Aqua Nova.
- Örebro läns museum  has exhibits year round.
- Örebro Konsthall  displays different art exhibitions.
- The Swedish Chambermusic Orchestra resides in Konserthuset and holds concerts year round.
The city has its own university .
There are lots of shopping opportunities in the shopping malls Krämaren and Åhléns and on the streets Drottninggatan, Köpmangatan and Kungsgatan. Nothing that you can't buy everywhere else in Sweden though.
Bra & Begagnat (Standing on the major square, Järntorget, and looking directly west, on your right hand there is a brown building. Between the brown building and a Tex-Mex restaurant there is a small alley called "Gamla Gatan". Down the alley, 50 meters on your right.) Open Wed 2PM-6PM, Sat 10AM-2PM. A second-hand store with a small café serving homemade cakes, buns and cookies. All who work there (wearing yellow shirts) are volunteers, they are friendly and it's very cheap. All profits from the store are donated to charity.
- The Krämaren shopping mall has an Internet cafe at the top floor.
- Sallad Inn, Järnvägsgatan 10. No-nonsense place that serves pizza, salads and meat dishes and does it well. Mains 50-89 SEK.
- Rosali's Deli, Storgatan 5 and Drottninggatan 38, . Serves pasta, sublime pasta salads and submarine sandwiches. Mains 54-59 SEK.
- Asian Wok - Sushi bar, Köpmangatan 27. Mains 50-160 SEK.
- Sub City Pub, Köpmangatan 10. Serves tasty submarine sandwiches for 35-59 SEK.
- Drängen, Oskarstorget 9, . Cozy concept restaurant with old farmer's tools on the walls, but the food has a more modern touch to it. Mains 95-208 SEK.
- B.A.C Restaurang, Engelbrektsgatan 3 (at Örebro läns museum), . Mains 120-160 SEK.
Best days out are generally Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- Frimis Nattklubb, Frimurareholmen, +46 19 14 05 00, .
- Klaras, Trädgårdsgatan 5, +46 19 18 78 00, .
You can pick up the free Nollnitton magazine in various stores to read more about Örebro's nightlife. It is only available in Swedish though.
- STF Vandrarhem Grenadjären, Kaptensgatan 1, . Youth hostel.
- Hotell Göta, Olaigatan 11, .
- Hotell Storgården, Fredsgatan 11, .
- Best Western City Hotel, Kungsgatan 24, .
- Elite Stora Hotellet, Drottninggatan 1, .
Örebro is not a dangerous town, although that is no excuse to leave your common sense at home.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!